Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Source for production of 1,000 Foundation Series?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there an official Tesla source saying there will only be 1,000 Foundation Series Cybertrucks or is this all conjecture based of previous Founders Editions? I've read every word on my Foundation offer email and build page, and see nothing mentioning 1,000 units (or I'm blind). Currently it sounds like there isn't actually a hard cap on production; rather, however many they can sell in an arbitrary amount of time.

Is there an official Tesla source saying there will only be 1,000 Foundation Series Cybertrucks or is this all conjecture based of previous Founders Editions? I've read every word on my Foundation offer email and build page, and see nothing mentioning 1,000 units (or I'm blind). Currently it sounds like there isn't actually a hard cap on production; rather, however many they can sell in an arbitrary amount of time.

I was just discussing this in a chat with some Tesla friends. We aren't aware of an actual source. I think it was speculated to be 1,000 based on previous Founder editions.

Reactions: logan
I believe Tesla will continue to make Foundation Series CT until the factory can make more than the number of new orders for FSCT. At that point, the extra factory capacity will go into making the standard models. I ordered a FSCT based on this assumption because I did not want to wait any longer. It may be a long time before the standard models are available. My two cents....

Reactions: bruce3
I was just discussing this in a chat with some Tesla friends. We aren't aware of an actual source. I think it was speculated to be 1,000 based on previous Founder editions.

And as someone pointed out on the Ride The Lightening podcast, Foundation Series is a nod to Asimov's Foundation Series books. Apparently a series of books elon has said he's drawn inspiration from.

Founders Edition and Foundation Series are two totally different things. I think tesla fans who knew about the 2nd gen roadster limited Founders Edition and equated the two expressions and then started positing there would only be 1K Foundation Series. A predictable mistake by those who still don't fully appreciate the differences between tesla's promotion of Full Self Driving as a concept and the products FSD and FSDb and still expect the former in 2 weeks or by the end of quarter/year/lifespan of the car or driver. A happy confusion for tesla since then the rumour was out there that there would only be 1000 and demand may have been increased. Certainly, tesla did nothing to correct the misconception aside from pumping out more and more invitations, hoping to hook those who weren't on forums and weren't aware this was a way to minimize losses on the first units sold.

The original Roadster had 27 Founder series made. I read there were on 41 Founder editions made of the Model S in 2012—all were dark red. The new Roadster will have 1000. The 3, X & Y had no such distinction. I’ve not read anything official about how many CTFS will be built. From a business perspective it makes since to keep offering it to early adopters until no one else is willing the pay the extra $20K.

The original Roadster had 27 Founder series made. I read there were on 41 Founder editions made of the Model S in 2012—all were dark red. The new Roadster will have 1000. The 3, X & Y had no such distinction. I’ve not read anything official about how many CTFS will be built. From a business perspective it makes since to keep offering it to early adopters until no one else is willing the pay the extra $20K.
Yep. But can only shake the tree for so long and then need to transition to plan B.

I got my "Limited Edition" Foundation Series Invite two days ago, did an online chat with Tesla rep today as to (1) Is there any specific definition to what "Limited" means? (2) If I don't click through with my non-refundable Foundation Series $1000 deposit, will I remain in the very early part of the queue I am in for a non-Foundation CT? and (3) Are there any limitations on resale. The rep had NO INFORMATION on (1) how limited it was and (3) resale limitations, and said (2) If I don't take the Foundation Series offer I do keep my place in line for after Foundation Series run is over...

1706811042284.png

Given no official word from Tesla if there will be 500, 1,000, or 100,000 Foundation Series Cybertrucks, to me that $20k upcharge is money down the drain, as I have no interest in FSD, white seats, or badging, and those would at most be worth $4k when it comes to selling the CT if the number isn't very limited. Of course I'd like to get a CT sooner, but it is already $30k more for the same dual motor configuration I ordered so long ago I am not ready to DOUBLE the price, not even sure I'm ready to pay $80k for it.

I'm assuming there is no official way to transfer a reservation or Foundation Series offer, correct? I ordered within 1 minute of the site taking orders coming online during the initial CT online reveal, so have a very low (saw it was something like 4K according to a CT VIN/order date tracking site) order, but I'm not sure I really want the CT anymore...

Given no official word from Tesla if there will be 500, 1,000, or 100,000 Foundation Series Cybertrucks, to me that $20k upcharge is money down the drain, as I have no interest in FSD, white seats, or badging, and those would at most be worth $4k when it comes to selling the CT if the number isn't very limited. Of course I'd like to get a CT sooner, but it is already $30k more for the same dual motor configuration I ordered so long ago I am not ready to DOUBLE the price, not even sure I'm ready to pay $80k for it.

I'm assuming there is no official way to transfer a reservation or Foundation Series offer, correct? I ordered within 1 minute of the site taking orders coming online during the initial CT online reveal, so have a very low (saw it was something like 4K according to a CT VIN/order date tracking site) order, but I'm not sure I really want the CT anymore...
You cannot resale for 1 year unless you offer it to Tesla first. You cannot transfer it, either. People have been trying to sell theirs, but none have seemingly been successful. The Foundation series does not have white seats, just white trim on the dash.

You cannot resale for 1 year unless you offer it to Tesla first. You cannot transfer it, either. People have been trying to sell theirs, but none have seemingly been successful. The Foundation series does not have white seats, just white trim on the dash.
Can you provide a source for the non-resale information, please? I've seen 10/2023 this information (+$50k lawsuit by tesla), then 11/2023 this was rescinded, and then again 12/2023 this information came back... But, again, all hearesay unless we have an actual CT contract we are looking at, so I guess that is what I need to see. And, if Tesla were not so chaotic/random/unreliable as a company, that contract legalese should have to be present in any non-refundable deposit contract or would be a valid reason for a refund if it appeared only in final purchase contract (fat chance getting Tesla to honor that though and lawsuit probably not worth it)...

Can you provide a source for the non-resale information, please? I've seen 10/2023 this information (+$50k lawsuit by tesla), then 11/2023 this was rescinded, and then again 12/2023 this information came back... But, again, all hearesay unless we have an actual CT contract we are looking at, so I guess that is what I need to see. And, if Tesla were not so chaotic/random/unreliable as a company, that contract legalese should have to be present in any non-refundable deposit contract or would be a valid reason for a refund if it appeared only in final purchase contract (fat chance getting Tesla to honor that though and lawsuit probably not worth it)...
It's not hearsay, every single delivery has had the clause in there.

1706814640522.png

It's not hearsay, every single delivery has had the clause in there.

View attachment 1014432

Thank you for providing that important detail... Though I'd heard the buyback clause before, this seems to indicate that, if you drive low miles, worst case scenario Tesla would have to buy it back for near purchase price, best case they don't buy it back and you CAN still resell it within a year as long as you make the offer to them first. Of course they could take forever to get back to you, they could try to gouge you on reasonable wear and tear, ... So it is certainly some red tape, but good chance if the demand is still somewhat higher than supply if you decide after 6 months you don't want it and send that letter to Tesla they'd let you resell it and you might still make a small profit...