Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone just pulled up at my house expecting to be able to charge - because of google?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Billbrown1982

TM3 LR 2021 | Red | FSD
Dec 21, 2020
Basildon
Really weird one this, wish i'd been home because the other half was a lot less impressed and shooed the lady off without really much discussion but she reckoned that Google had directed her to our house to charge her car?

Far as I can tell we are not listed on google maps for anything like that. I know there are some rent a driveway setups that include charging but I've never signed up to anything like that. Nobody else has a charger down our entire street so it wasn't that either. Proper weird.

This ever happened to anyone else?

Is this a possible new trend, as EV ownership expands further and faster across the great and good of society, for a cheeky wee freebie at (absent) homeowners expense?

My EVSE in London is behind a locked door for a reason.

I dunno though, from what I saw on the nest cam she didn't seem that type, hell she rang the bell three times (the 1st two my misses ignored her thinking it was a salesman or something and she was napping) so surely if you was gonna play dumb you'd just plug in and hope for the best?

Does make me wonder though....definitely be keeping an eye on it.

I dunno though, from what I saw on the nest cam she didn't seem that type, hell she rang the bell three times (the 1st two my misses ignored her thinking it was a salesman or something and she was napping) so surely if you was gonna play dumb you'd just plug in and hope for the best?

Does make me wonder though....definitely be keeping an eye on it.
Google eh. I mean people have been known to drive their cars through rivers because the sat nav said to.

Maybe she mistook your quiet suburban house for a Shell garage or a Tesla SuC. 🙈

• Funny
Reactions: Billbrown1982
Really weird one this, wish i'd been home because the other half was a lot less impressed and shooed the lady off without really much discussion but she reckoned that Google had directed her to our house to charge her car?

Far as I can tell we are not listed on google maps for anything like that. I know there are some rent a driveway setups that include charging but I've never signed up to anything like that. Nobody else has a charger down our entire street so it wasn't that either. Proper weird.

If you lists your home on PlugShare as I did some 10 years ago it could be listed that way.

Probably someone looking for a charger then saw yours, must be a newbie!

I would have let her. For a significant charge of course. Cash is ok.
I think a "significant charge" was what she was looking for. :)

Fun fact unless you are a registered supplier it is illegal to sell electricity at a profit. If not every property landlord would be screwing over their tenants.
As a result, if you want to rent out your charger, for it to be legal, you have to rent by the hour rather than by the KWH.
Obviously for cash in hand you can do what you like so long as all parties are happy.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro and Cardo
ah but electricity is only part of the fee you charge. There's parking, wear to the driveway, charger maintenance, etc etc
You can charge whatever you like per hour for renting your drive and charger etc. not saying you cannot make a profit just that it has to be done on a time basis or a fixed fee not a per kwh basis at a rate higher than you are paying.

I mean you can bill for the kwh used at cost PLUS charger/drive rental on a per hour basis if it makes you happy that's fine I would think.

In some US states I believe even the DC EV chargers are not allowed by law to bill per kwh so have to bill by the minute which is a bit of a bummer if you have a car that charges slowly. I imagine this must be changing now or soon.

You can charge whatever you like per hour for renting your drive and charger etc. not saying you cannot make a profit just that it has to be done on a time basis or a fixed fee not a per kwh basis at a rate higher than you are paying.

I mean you can bill for the kwh used at cost PLUS charger/drive rental on a per hour basis if it makes you happy that's fine I would think.

In some US states I believe even the DC EV chargers are not allowed by law to bill per kwh so have to bill by the minute which is a bit of a bummer if you have a car that charges slowly. I imagine this must be changing now or soon.
The US thing is also to do with chargers not having approved, calibrated meters in them as required for charging per kWh. Bit overkill as I understand it, but most of this stuff is old legislation. Most states are now opening up to allowing companies to charge per kWh without the fancy meters.

• Informative
Reactions: Jason71