Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone just pulled up at my house expecting to be able to charge - because of google?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was thinking the same. Some idiot trying it on. Think I might start to turn off dumb charging mode in the near future as we will start to hear about electricity being stolen no doubt.

It may happen one day but it's never ever been reported on this forum (yet?). You would need some brass neck to leave your car parked for hours on someone else's drive!

It may happen one day but it's never ever been reported on this forum (yet?). You would need some brass neck to leave your car parked for hours on someone else's drive!
I used to live in a place where it wasn’t unknown for random people to park on others driveways. Not to steal electricity but just to have somewhere to park.

It never happened to me but it would be a toss up from blocking it in and not releasing it or having someone tow it to some random location in the Scottish Highlands. I never did quite decide which I’d prefer 😉

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
Anyone come across a lock that holds the charge port to the wall so it can’t be used?
I guess if this becomes an issue of random people charging up off others chargers someone will come out with one. Just not sure it’s been identified as an issue yet.

The riff raff that would likely do this still don’t own or can afford an EV yet. Still I think it will probably be pretty rare.

Maybe actually once more cars have the ability to act as a battery for a house, you can reverse it and drain their battery flat while they are parked on your driveway. Maybe just leave them with enough to get onto the public road before they conk out 😂

You do know you can program your Tesla brand Gen 3 wall connector to only charge your car/s or whatever car you choose right? If activated, a handshake is required which has to recognize the car plugged in, if it matches to what the owner has allowed then charging will start. If not it simply will not allow a charge. I have activated mine at the office to only charge both of our cars as well as the wall connectors at home. Was a little inconvenient when they gave me a loaner which would not charge but not very difficult to deactivate.

Last edited:
I suspect most in the UK don’t use the Tesla charger because it’s weak on features that are useful for us here. My charger speaks to my electricity provider, works out the times when demand on the grid is the lowest and charges the car then. In return I get a vastly reduced rate for my electricity.

Probably others with solar have chargers that align charging with excess solar generation.

Tesla chargers are the only ones with the button though.. the car has all the functionality required to do timed charging already.
It doesn’t with some of the newer charging tariffs in the UK that need specific chargers of which Tesla’s one isn’t supported.

When my car charges is random each night and it might not be in a single block. It might do 30 minutes at 11am and then another 1 hour from 3am say. It’s up to the electricity company. I just say I want the car at 80% by 7am and it’ll pick when to charge it so it achieves that.