Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some Notable Charging Accessories For Sale on Tesla Websites of Selected Countries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
Information about selected Tesla charging accessories in various countries that happened to catch my eye.

This Post should be regarded as preliminary. For a more thorough examination of Tesla charging equipment in major Tesla world markets, see: Tesla Ports & Plugs of the World.

Country

Tesla Charging Accessory (1)

Price (USD)

Applicability / Notes

New Zealand & Australia
Gen 2 Wall Connector (8 ½')​
$623 & $528​
Models S, X, and 3​
CHAdeMO Adapter​
$404 & $381​
Models S and X only​
Hong Kong & Macao
few charging accessories listed (2)
Models S, X, 3, and Y​
Singapore
no Tesla charging accessories webpage (2)
Model 3 only​
Mainland China
no Gen 2 wall connector​
no CHAdeMO adapter​
no CCS adapter​
National Standard AC and DC Adapters​
$430​
for older Models S and X only​
South Korea (TPC)
CHAdeMO Adapter​
$378​
Models S, X, 3, and Y​
CCS Adapter​
$254​
Models 3 and Y only​
Taiwan
CHAdeMO Adapter (3)
$564​
Older cars with TPC (3)
Japan (TPC)
CHAdeMO Adapter (currently sold out)​
$450​
Models S, X, and 3​
Canada & USA (TPC)
no Gen 2 wall connector​
Gen 3 Wall Connector now 24 ½’​
no CHAdeMO adapter​
Recently removed from Shop website​
CCS adapter​
$250 & $325​
Released 09/21/2022​
Corded Mobile Connector​
$200 & $255​
40-amp Gen 1 device; prices lowered​
Mexico (TPC)
no Tesla charging accessories webpage (2)
Models S, X, 3, and Y​
United Kingdom & Germany (4)
Gen 2 Wall Connector (8 ½’ or 24 ½’)​
$623 & $523​
Models S, X, 3, and Y​
CHAdeMO Adapter​
$205 & $232​
Models S and X only​
CCS Upgrade (w/CCS Combo 2 adapter)​
$385 & $348​
for (pre-05/19) Model X only​
CCS Combo 2 Adapter​
in new car​
Models S & X after May 1, 2019​
Corded Mobile Connector​
$722 & $803​
Models S, X, 3, and Y​
Footnotes
1 - Only a select few charging accessories of interest are listed.
2 - Purchase home charging accessories (wall and mobile connectors) through a Tesla Adviser.
3 - Currently sold out. New Tesla cars in Taiwan have recently switched from TPC to “Mennekes Type 2" connector ports and plugs.
4 - Representing the other European Union countries that use “Mennekes Type 2" (older) and CCS (upgrade) connector ports and plugs.

A Tesla European CHAdeMO Adapter B Tesla North American CHAdeMO Adapter C Tesla Chinese GB/T AC Adapter D Tesla Chinese GB/T DC Adapter

E Tesla European CCS Combo 2 Adapter F Tesla South Korean CCS Combo 1 Adapter G Tesla European Corded Mobile Connector H Tesla North American Corded Mobile Connector

A - Australia & New Zealand/Europe: CHAdeMO Adapter
B - North America/South Korea, Japan: CHAdeMO Adapter
C - China: National Standard AC Adapter
D - China: National Standard DC Adapter
E - Europe: CCS Combo 2 Adapter
F - South Korea: CCS Combo 1Adapter
G - Europe: Corded Mobile Connector
H - North America: Corded Mobile Connector

Some random comments:
  • Tesla Proprietary Connector (TPC) plugs and ports are used in North American, Japan, and South Korea. In Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Macao the “Mennekes” Type 2 connector ports and plugs are employed (although in Europe Tesla is converting to Combo 2 ports and plugs for Model 3 and Superchargers).
  • Tesla websites for most countries offer a variety of home and on-the-road charging accessories (not necessarily listed here).
  • Some countries--e.g., Hong Kong, Singapore, and Mexico--have few charging accessories for sale online. Charging accessories can apparently be purchased directly at Tesla sales facilities.
  • Korea now has a Tesla CCS1 adapter, but it is apparently just for Models 3 and Y there at this point (and will not work in North America).
  • Prices listed are in U.S. dollars (converted using Google).
  • A few non-charging accessory differences exist among the various countries. One example: Australia, New Zealand, and the European countries offer a (hitch-attached) bike carrier (currently sold out) that comes with rear safety lights.
  • For various reasons Tesla is not yet fully active in Africa, Latin America (except Mexico), the Indian peninsula, Russia, and various other territories. This is beginning to change.
I'd like to hear from people who live in these various areas, and/or can read the various non-English languages, for additional insight on what is happening with Tesla home and on-the-road charging across the world. Some questions that remain:
  1. (When) Will Tesla gradually phase out Gen 2 wall connectors everywhere, as has been done in North America?
  2. Now that Gen 3 wall connectors have 24' cables available, is the (arguably over-powered) Gen 2 WC needed?
  3. (When) Will CCS eventually become the de facto charging standard in North America?
  4. How much longer does CHAdeMO have as an electric-car charging standard in the various countries? (Japan and China are developing a standard to replace CHAdeMO and GB/T DC connectors.)

Addendum: @wws asked about differences among countries in Gen 2 Mobile Connector adapters. Here is a comparison among United Kingdom (similar to other western European countries), Canada (similar to the USA), and New Zealand/Australia available Gen 2 MC adapters, again with costs converted to U.S. dollars.

Country​
Gen 2 Mobile Connector Adapter​
Price (USD)​
Notes​
United Kingdom
“Schuko” Adapter​
$59​
max 3 kW​
Switzerland Adapter​
$59​
2.3 kW​
Italy Adapter​
$48​
2.3 kW​
United Kingdom Adapter​
$59​
2.3 kW​
"Blue" Adapter (16 amps)​
$48​
3.7 kW​
"Blue" Adapter (32 amps)​
$48​
7.4 kW​
Canada (similar to USA)​
NEMA 5-15 Adapter​
$36*​
for 110/120-volt AC house circuit​
NEMA 5-20 Adapter​
$36​
110/120v​
NEMA 6-15 Adapter​
$36​
220/240v​
NEMA 6-20 Adapter​
$36​
220/240v​
NEMA 6-50 Adapter​
$48*​
220/240v​
NEMA 10-30 Adapter​
$48​
220/240v​
NEMA 14-30 Adapter​
$48​
220/240v​
NEMA 14-50 Adapter​
$44*​
220/240v​
New Zealand/Australia**
NZ/AU Adapter (8 amps)​
included​
1.8 kW​
NZ/AU Adapter (12 amps)​
included​
2.6 kW​
"Schuko" Adapter​
?/?​
3.7 kW​
Blue Adapter (16 amps)​
$57/?​
3.5 kW​
Blue Adapter (32 amps)?​
?/?​
7 kW​
* These adapters cost $35 and $45 in the USA.
** Information at Tesla NZ/AU Charging Websites and in Tesla pdf documents differs somewhat. Adapters are probably for sale directly at
---Tesla sales centers.

I Tesla Canada Gen 2 Mobile Connector Adapter Plugs J Tesla United Kingdom Gen 2 Mobile Connector AC Adapter Plugs

I - Canada Gen 2 Mobile Connector Adapter-Plugs
J - United Kingdom Gen 2 Mobile Connector Adapter-Plugs​

Last edited:
If someone in, say, North America wants a CHAdeMO adapter, could they pick one up (while vacationing) in Asia or Australia and have it work back home?
No, because it's different. This probably would have come to you if you had thought about it. The CHAdeMO adapter sold in North America has the proprietary Tesla plug on the other end. The ones sold in Australia or Europe have the Mennekes type of plug on it. Ones in Japan specifically, though, would be just like the North American ones.

No, because it's different. This probably would have come to you if you had thought about it. The CHAdeMO adapter sold in North America has the proprietary Tesla plug on the other end. The ones sold in Australia or Europe have the Mennekes type of plug on it. Ones in Japan specifically, though, would be just like the North American ones.

In my defense, the photos of the Tesla CHAdeMO adapters in all these countries are identical. But yes, after looking carefully some of the other accessory photos suggest differences in the car ports among countries.

Last edited:
In my defense, the photos of the Tesla CHAdeMO adapters in all these countries are identical. But yes, after looking carefully some of the other accessory photos suggest differences in the car ports among countries.

Further research has found that (not surprisingly) Tesla international websites, even those all in English, vary in the amount and layout of support information about products for sale online. For example, most Tesla Charging sites portray CHAdeMO adapters with TPC (Tesla Proprietary Connector) plugs. Yet sometimes support information, if available, will show the correct CHAdeMO plug in photos (e.g., Charging Connjector Support Page for the United Kingdom).

Furthermore, as we know new cars in some countries have been or will be in the process of converting charging ports.

Lesson: Be sure to confirm that the charging port on your car matches the plug on a charging accessory before ordering.

Gen 3 wall units have been available in UK and AU/NZ for some months now, so the opening table is a bit out of date.

The following comments apply to Europe, UK, Aus, NZ.

The CHAdeMO adapter (only for S/X) is essentially a deprecated product. It converts CHAdeMO to Tesla's modified Type 2 plug (essentially a Type 2 with an extra key).

Tesla now use CCS2 to modified Type 2 adapter for the Model S/X.
That adapter is A$250 (US$190) in Aus (you show it in the UK section)
Pre June 2019 cars also need a part retrofit which is A$480(US$360) including adapter.

Note that the adapter (and retrofit) is needed to use Gen3 superchargers which only have the CCS2 plug.. Gen2 superchargers have both the CCS2 and modified Type 2 plug.

Third party fast chargers (of which there are far more sites in Australia versus Tesla) typically have both CCS2 and CHAdeMO handles.

Pricing for those adapters here (you'll need to have location set to AU due to how Tesla website works)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tps5352
Gen 3 wall units have been available in UK and AU/NZ for some months now, so the opening table is a bit out of date...

Right, I understand. But it is not really out of date--just incomplete by design. The table only contains charging accessories that caught my eye. It was not intended to show all the various accessories for each region/country. (Yes, I imagine that Gen 3 Wall Connectors are the standard in Australia, as they now are here in the 'States.) I highlighted the Gen 2 Wall Connector because they are now unavailable (from Tesla) in North America, but remain for sale in Europe and Australia/NZ.

Concerning the rest,...thank you for all that helpful information.

CHAdeMO

Yes, it appears that CHAdeMO is "on the way out" as a charging standard, at least everywhere except Japan. (There too, eventually?) In North America, in place of CHAdeMO some Tesla users are anxious to get Tesla CCS adapters (for private-vendor charging stations like "Electrify America" that use our type of CCS charging plug).

CCS

I am just about to start a personal review on the Internet of CCS connectors used around the world. It is a little confusing having at least two(?) somewhat different CCS standards, but that comes from historically having different electric grids in different regions, I guess. The United Kingdom and European Union Tesla Charging Accessory sites discuss CCS adapters and (Model X_ retrofits. So I mentioned them in the table. Australia and New Zealand sites do not, so I did not. I've fond that Tesla "hides" a lot of information in pdf files and Supprt webpages. Once I "bone-up" on CCS standards, I may or may not modify the table, using Tesla information from "Home Charging" and "Supercharger" Support pages, in addition to the Charging Accessory sites, for the different countries/regions. Meanwhile, glad to have the information you shared.

In hindsight someone more knowledgeable about international electrical standards should have tackled this (table). But I was curious and am learning as I go.

Last edited:
Fair enough. At least in Australia I suspect Gen2 is available because they still have stock (and it's the only short cable charger)

On the Gen3 power question.
Note that most non-US countries use a different power system with single phase being 230-240V and three phase being normal in commercial buildings and available/normal residential.

So still possible to get 22kW power (3ph 32A) from the Gen3 units in other markets.
Of course this is limited to 11kW by the on-board charger/rectifier in the 3 and 16.5kW in more recent S/X (with older models having the optional 2x11kW).

Nissan in Au/NZ have announced future models will be CCS2 (and I suspect the same will apply for Europe). Both countries will continue to have a market for CHAdeMO however as there is a decent sized import market of Japanese used cars.

• Informative
Also of interest would be the plug adapters for the Gen 2 UMC that Tesla offers around the world.

Here in North America Tesla offers: NEMA 5-15, 5-20, 6-15, 6-20, 10-30, 14-30, 6-50, and 14-50 adapters. (IMHO they should also offer TT-30, and perhaps 6-30 and L14-30. But at least one can get them aftermarket from evseadapters.com.)

Hmm. Interesting. I will take a look (again). <New info added at your suggestion.>

I think I recall (from a few years ago) being interested in the "strange" (to me) Gen 2 Mobile Connector adapter-plugs offered to European drivers who may cross several borders as they drive on vacation or for work throughout the Continent.

Last edited:
Fair enough. At least in Australia I suspect Gen2 is available because they still have stock...

Right. Similarly, the Tesla America and Canada Charging/Shop sites just started offering the Tesla J1772 Gen 2 Wall Connector for sale at a "bargain" price ($415 in the USA--$85 less than the original proprietary Gen 2 Wall Connector). I was aware that such a product existed (having seen its Tesla pdf brochure), but I had never seen it for sale on a Tesla webpage before. I would imagine most customers are people with both a Tesla (so they like the brand) and another type of electric car in the household. In such circumstances the NA Tesla car with its proprietary port would have to use a (now $50) J1772 adapter. (Actually, new Tesla cars still come with a J1772 adapter included, as far as I know.)

Regardless, I suspect Tesla is now advertising its version of a J1772 WC in order to get rid of existing stock also (perhaps because it could not compete with the many good aftermarket products from JuiceBox, ChargePoint, ClipperCreek, etc.?); if so look for it to disappear eventually (since there are perfectly good Tesla-to-J1772 aftermarket [e.g., TesTap] adapters that allow Tesla proprietary Wall Connectors to charge non-Tesla cars).

In conclusion, I get the sense that the Tesla marketing push in North America is definitely towards the Gen 3 WC and a--probably soon-to-arrive after field testing in South Korea's "The Squid Game," Season 2--CCS Type 1 adapter. Just three Tesla products--the Gen 3 WC, J1772 adapter, and CCS Type 1 adapter--will handle the four most critical home and on-the-road charging circumstances for Tesla drivers in North American municipalities and on major thoroughfares:
  1. 240-volt A/C overnight home charging,
  2. at-work A/C Type 1 J1772 charging-while-parked,
  3. Tesla proprietary supercharger D/C fast-charging (no charging accessory required), and
  4. D/C fast-charging at non-Tesla CCS Type 1 stations.
Some CHadeMO D/C charging stations will remain around for awhile to help fill in the gaps, but the numbers of Tesla superchargers and CCS Type 1 stations continue to grow as new BEVs enter the market.
Squid Game.jpg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
The other interesting accessory in most Type2/Mennekes markets is probably a Type2-Type2 cable (in Australia Tesla sells a 7m 22kW version. Third parties offer 5-10m lengths in 7,11 and 22kW versions).
These typically run in the US$200-300 region.

The reason for this is that many third party AC/L2 destination chargers are BYO (Bring Your Own) or untethered.
Makes for a neater looking unit when not in use, and less breakable parts which is good for the charging site owner.
The Type2 cable locks at both ends when in use.

DC/L3 stations are all tethered (have their own cable)

• Informative