Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update for AP2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my Model X on 12/14 and the software version was v8.0-2.46.30.
Tesla released a small update (2.48.204) for AP 2.0 hardware which includes auto headlight. It has been one week since I got my car, but haven't got any update yet. Does anyone have the same problem?

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Same problem here.. picked up on 12/15. I even asked the service center to push down the new update to my vehicle and they had a tech come over and they said they scheduled it. However, I never got it... still waiting..

It is always like this - people get releases at some unknown rate. There is no known pattern for who gets it when. It is not unusual for some people to never even get a certain version, and others wait weeks.
The Service Center can sometimes force a download, but not always.
Then there are always posts like this asking about why someone hasn't yet received a version.
It is best to be patient - when its time, you will get it!

It is always like this - people get releases at some unknown rate. There is no known pattern for who gets it when. It is not unusual for some people to never even get a certain version, and others wait weeks.
The Service Center can sometimes force a download, but not always.
Then there are always posts like this asking about why someone hasn't yet received a version.
It is best to be patient - when its time, you will get it!

Tesla should have a "Check for Update" button in UI just like iOS so that owners can manually update software.

Reactions: GSP and Sather
Tesla should have a "Check for Update" button in UI just like iOS so that owners can manually update software.
Tesla doesn't want people to manuallly update software, for the same reasons it doesn't push updates to all cars at the same time, so it doesn't have a check for update button. See the dozens of posts on this topic for why Tesla doesn't want 100,000 cars to update at about the same time.

I don't think it's as simple as everyone thinks it is. These updates may be very large updates and it could take days/weeks to trickle-download over WiFi and/or LTE. I suspect that only when the update is completely downloaded will you be notified that it's available to install.

When the update notification is received, it can be installed right away, so it must be completely downloaded. Otherwise some network issue could cause serious issues and/or delays if it occurred during the install process.

2.48 has side collision warning on AP2 cars and auto headlights (right now its manual). My viewpoint is a little biased (selfish) but it seems like these updates with AP2 safety features should be prioritized to roll out to AP2 vehicles before the whole fleet.

I've got my car connected to wifi with a very strong signal thats powered by a fiber optic uplink (200 Mbps x 200 Mbps). I find it unlikely that a big update would take very long to get to my vehicle if that was indeed the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: GMDC
2.48 has side collision warning on AP2 cars and auto headlights (right now its manual). My viewpoint is a little biased (selfish) but it seems like these updates with AP2 safety features should be prioritized to roll out to AP2 vehicles before the whole fleet.

I've got my car connected to wifi with a very strong signal thats powered by a fiber optic uplink (200 Mbps x 200 Mbps). I find it unlikely that a big update would take very long to get to my vehicle if that was indeed the issue.
There are lots of threads at TMC discussing the poor WiFi reception in the Model-X. Some people have WiFi repeaters next to their vehicles and still have poor connectivity. Not sure where the antenna is, but I'm not confident in the Tesla's WiFi reception.

We waited a week or so for the update.

As soon as I enabled the always connected setting under the display options we got the update the next day.

I'm not sure if that actually helped but I'm putting it out there in case matters.

There are lots of threads at TMC discussing the poor WiFi reception in the Model-X. Some people have WiFi repeaters next to their vehicles and still have poor connectivity. Not sure where the antenna is, but I'm not confident in the Tesla's WiFi reception.
So the update will be only pushed to the car when it's connected to WiFi? Anyone gets update with LTE?

Has anyone monitored network traffic to see how it's doing its updates or how large they are? Is it pulling it from a direct download off Tesla servers? Is it a P2P download?

So far my vehicle used a total of 140 MB of data usage in the last week on WiFi. 75% of that was streaming audio while parked loading/unloading passengers. A couple MB was encrypted traffic (SSH?) -- I wonder if they pulled logs from my X for the door issues.

It's definitely not attempting to download any software updates at this point.

I have zero noise on the 2.4ghz channels at my parking location (no one close enough to me using WiFi). The RSSI on the WiFi to the car is very good. I do see a lot of associations/disassociations from the vehicle to the access point. I wonder if that has anything to do with energy saving / keep connected settings -- might experiment if I have time.

Reactions: vandacca