Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, what's next after 7.1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the other hand, I'd rather get a beta version (ie: Autopilot) versus other manufacturers (Mercedes, Volvo) that test their code for years before releasing it (and they're still not that impressive).

I agree that Nav could be improved, but given that it's just a system they bought from Garmin, is there any reason to believe that Tesla could do anything to change it in existing cars? Wouldn't Garmin have to improve it?

This is exactly right, in fact I was told something along these lines by someone who knows the situation. There seems to be some sort of a dispute between these two companies which is why there have been no map updates in over two years, apparently Garmin/Navigon is supposed to provide Tesla with the updates but hasn't. This may be oversimplification but I think Tesla needs to get another provider, build something themselves or resolve the dispute in order to solve this.

As a new , 90 days and counting CPO, owner, I agree with just about everything in this thread. If I had followed teslamotorsclub.com, instead of all the glowing reviews, I may not have purchased the car. As everyone knows the torque, the 17" screen, and the style of the car temporarily blind you. Even though I got to test drive my car, I never had any idea that a NAV system could be as unreliable and untrustworthy as Tesla's is.

We live in Southern California and on a recent trip to Joshua Tree (High Desert) and had no problems getting there and Supercharging prior to going up the hill from the Palm Springs area to Joshua Tree. Had plenty of juice to get back down the hill to re Supercharge to. So, there was some traffic on the 10 freeway that I could see on the map and the NAV system suggested a route around it - straight into the middle of the freaking desert. Oh yes there were roads, and yes, they were even dirt, and uphill, and away from a SuperCharger. I obviously did not take them, but the Nav kept saying turn right, go back, etc. If I had blindly listened I would be out of juice, and worse out of cell phone range. I shudder to think what would happen to someone who really did not know the area, or have the situational awareness to realize how bad this could have been.

My wife is the primary driver of the car and a day does not go by that she isn't calling me to ask if she should follow the car or her phone, sadly, I tell her use the phone. So one of the biggest features of the car, a 17" display, instead shows a wonky media interface.

So Tesla, pretty please. Fix the freaking NAV. Every single owner would benefit. I see only upside by doing this.

Then, offer a faster CPU upgrade, I'd buy it.

Lastly fix all the other stuff mentioned herein, otherwise your competition will do it for you.

As a new , 90 days and counting CPO, owner, I agree with just about everything in this thread. If I had followed teslamotorsclub.com, instead of all the glowing reviews, I may not have purchased the car. As everyone knows the torque, the 17" screen, and the style of the car temporarily blind you. Even though I got to test drive my car, I never had any idea that a NAV system could be as unreliable and untrustworthy as Tesla's is.

We live in Southern California and on a recent trip to Joshua Tree (High Desert) and had no problems getting there and Supercharging prior to going up the hill from the Palm Springs area to Joshua Tree. Had plenty of juice to get back down the hill to re Supercharge to. So, there was some traffic on the 10 freeway that I could see on the map and the NAV system suggested a route around it - straight into the middle of the freaking desert. Oh yes there were roads, and yes, they were even dirt, and uphill, and away from a SuperCharger. I obviously did not take them, but the Nav kept saying turn right, go back, etc. If I had blindly listened I would be out of juice, and worse out of cell phone range. I shudder to think what would happen to someone who really did not know the area, or have the situational awareness to realize how bad this could have been.

My wife is the primary driver of the car and a day does not go by that she isn't calling me to ask if she should follow the car or her phone, sadly, I tell her use the phone. So one of the biggest features of the car, a 17" display, instead shows a wonky media interface.

So Tesla, pretty please. Fix the freaking NAV. Every single owner would benefit. I see only upside by doing this.

Lastly fix all the other stuff mentioned herein, otherwise your competition will do it for you.

Granted my sample size is small, but, I must be the only person out there that has never had a problem with a route or the NAV in general. Sure I wish it had more features but the actual mapping and routing has been perfect since day one. FWIW, I have the auto route based on traffic functionality turned off as I have found with every GPS I've operated, it rarely saves you time and ends up costing you in the end.

My experience must be atypical or I haven't owned the car long enough to see the bad side of the routing functionality, but to date, it's been spot on 100% of the time. Given all the reports here I have tried to get a bad route or bad experience by setting the destination regardless of the fact I know how to get there and even still it hasn't failed me once.

Clearly YMMV...

Jeff

- - - Updated - - -

- UI cleanup: yeah, that's a tough one. Moving things a little bit so really important data isn't hidden by the steering wheel would be a start. Losing the toy car for non-AP car. More informative power app.

This one is very tricky... I say that because my steering wheel isn't positioned in a manor that blocks any part of the IC so from my perspective the icon locations are perfectly fine. The tweaks I'd make are all relatively minor to the IC UI as I like it generally the way it is.

Jeff

Totally agree with everything in the thread. The trip planner part of the navigation system is pretty bad, but having the actual map data be so out of date is terrible. There's an entire freeway on-ramp/off-ramp that the map doesn't have, so every time I visit my girlfriend the navigation tries to route me through some weird out of the areas :eek:

Hopefully they'll take a little time to work on the navigation, but I won't hold my breath...

wvgzq.jpg

Hi and congrats on your car. I'm also from SoCal so I can totally understand about your experience with NAV. No doubt about it, it's missing important features and you can't trust its accuracy. To sum it up, it sucks! You have to check it against your phone (Waze, Maps, etc) before you leave and beware of the weird reroutes. That said I'd still buy my car again because it's friggin awesome! Suggest you let Tesla know your experience with it and send a short summary of your problem and urge them to fix it. Send it to:
[email protected]

Granted my sample size is small, but, I must be the only person out there that has never had a problem with a route or the NAV in general. Sure I wish it had more features but the actual mapping and routing has been perfect since day one. FWIW, I have the auto route based on traffic functionality turned off as I have found with every GPS I've operated, it rarely saves you time and ends up costing you in the end.

My experience must be atypical or I haven't owned the car long enough to see the bad side of the routing functionality, but to date, it's been spot on 100% of the time. Given all the reports here I have tried to get a bad route or bad experience by setting the destination regardless of the fact I know how to get there and even still it hasn't failed me once.
So starting at my house I entered 15 different destinations around Portland and in about half (7) of the cases the directions given by Tesla's navigation were somewhere between silly and ludicrous (and my car doesn't even have the ludicrous upgrade). It's possible that things in the Bay Area are better because that's where most of the Tesla internal testing will happen, but that's pure silliness because Garmin/Navigon provided the nav software, so I can't quite say why your experience is so much better.
Of course, some of the incorrect directions simply stem from outdated street maps. But Tesla's Nav reliably sends me onto I5 North south of Portland in rush hour. And any local will tell you that that's one of the dumbest ideas they have ever heard (and yes, I have traffic aware routing on and I tried this at rush hour this morning). It consistently tells me on my commute to work to stay on a surface street even though there's a much better way that is marginally longer but mostly on freeways. Etc.
I use the Tesla Nav all the time, mostly to laugh at its suggestions. I wouldn't drive where it suggests, though. That's what Waze on my phone is for. Mounted next to the 17" screen. Laughter of friends that I give a ride not withstanding.

Tesla nav never does anything stupid like this:

Or this:

I know I took a few more crazy routes it's given me, but I can't find the pictures now. You'll have to take my word for it.
Those are cute. It's /usually/ not that bad - but I've seen things like this before. My favorite was when I fat fingered things in the recent list and tapped again on my last destination which was literally on the same side of the street, on the other side of the intersection. It suggested to turn left, then after a block right, then right again, two blocks, another three rights. Draw it on a piece of paper. But don't take a sip of coffee before you do...

Those are cute. It's /usually/ not that bad - but I've seen things like this before. My favorite was when I fat fingered things in the recent list and tapped again on my last destination which was literally on the same side of the street, on the other side of the intersection. It suggested to turn left, then after a block right, then right again, two blocks, another three rights. Draw it on a piece of paper. But don't take a sip of coffee before you do...

Your nav must like Tetris ;)

Those two examples were near home, so I thought "wtf?" and ignored it.

But I did have this happen going to an unknown supercharger, both ways, and stupid me listened to the nav, both times. So yes, it does happen more than I would like, but I agree it's usually not that bad.

(Red is what nav did to me, blue is what I should have done, and yes, there is an exit there at the blue line, and no, there was no traffic)
Odd Nav.jpg

the actual mapping and routing has been perfect since day one. FWIW, I have the auto route based on traffic functionality turned off as I have found with every GPS I've operated, it rarely saves you time and ends up costing you in the end.
If you have to turn off one of the features because you don't believe it will work correctly, I'm not sure how you can call it perfect....

How do we get Elon to read this thread, showing our cmbned disappointment? Maybe we all send an email to Tesla's feedback email address (what is it again?) with a link to this thread and the message, "READ IT".
Other car companies ARE going to catch up at this rate, and Tesla is going to have lost some of the most dedicated brand ambassadors (some of us) by the time that happens.

How do we get Elon to read this thread, showing our cmbned disappointment? Maybe we all send an email to Tesla's feedback email address (what is it again?) with a link to this thread and the message, "READ IT".
Other car companies ARE going to catch up at this rate, and Tesla is going to have lost some of the most dedicated brand ambassadors (some of us) by the time that happens.

Email address for the North American region (they do respond):
[email protected]