Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

So, What exactly is the value of a Signature Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Telsa can't avoid bankruptcy without shafting their Sig customers, then I don't particularly feel like they should be in business anyway. We're talking about maybe $10M? 10k per customer * 1000 cars. They just offered stocks so they could sit on $200M as a safety net.

If that turns out to be the case, then Romney was right and we'll all have a $100,000 token of gratitude.

I'm not sure how it comes down to do right by your customers or go bankrupt anyway? That wasn't even part of the scenario. As many have stated here, there is lots they can do for cheap. A plaque? Free maintenance? Swag? Where did anyone say tesla had to spend loads of cash (let alone go bankrupt) to do right by their sig customers?

...and now the return of the "nobody made you do it" arguments... Sometimes I love this place. Sigs operated on faith, just like everyone else. Read the thread.

Wow .... Im sensing a lot of hostility ...

I'm giving Tesla the benefit of the doubt only to the extent that I feel comfortable they've had a chance to get over learning production/supply/distribution/delivery and whatever else before I start to feel burned in some way.

So, FWIW, I'd say by the end of March 2013, if Telsa hasn't "thanked" their signature owners in some way, my attitude is sure to change. But, I've adopted early before only to be let down, so I'm not anticipating a blood pressure increase if we get nothing.

Steve, here's the thing. My hostility (more like frustration/resignation) increases with each delay and communication failure because I had several discussions with Tesla after they announced the Sig pricing, and was assured that (a) it would be totally worth the extra money for the extra goodies and such we'd get in the car, and (b) that I was buying the equivalent of a limited edition MB or BMW or Audi etc.

(a) turned out to clearly not be the case, and as for (b), one thing I said at the time to Tesla was that they are not MB or BMW or Audi, and this is a new company with a new product that was very likely to have growing pains. My wife's lease was expiring last month and she really wanted to get a new style GL. We met with MB in July, and they said they'd be available in September. And guess what? They were! No one puts money down on one of those cars and expects delays, so a lack of communication isn't a big deal because everyone knows the car is coming on schedule. Tesla set the expectation that they could charge a premium for the Sig because they could deliver the car in the same way an established automaker could on their limited editions.

Of course I expected delays like this, and I'd be infinitely patient with Tesla if Tesla hadn't charged a premium for the privilege of being a guinea pig. Or maybe the better analogy is a donkey with a carrot dangled out in front of him that he can't quite reach and doesn't know why....

Look, this is all venting from me for a long-settled issue on the Sig pricing, but with each delay and complete silence from HQ, I feel more and more vindicated with what I told Tesla at the time they came out with the pricing. I really wish I hadn't been right, and its pretty frustrating to watch a company like Tesla that I was really rooting for to succeed commit unforced errors. I'm not a genius -- these were obviously bad decisions and rationales at the time they made them.

For reference, GeorgeB's last official blog post (not including what he posted here at TMC on the warranty) was August 21. What's with the radio silence? Why force the front line people to deliver these cryptic messages about the delays? George loves to deliver good news, but I'm not seeing him stand out front to take the bad, although ironically if he just came out with the truth it would be greeted with relief.

- - - Updated - - -

As many have stated here, there is lots they can do for cheap. A plaque? Free maintenance? Swag? Where did anyone say tesla had to spend loads of cash (let alone go bankrupt) to do right by their sig customers?

This is the real tragedy. Forget cheap -- they could have done things for no cost at all! How about conference calls or meet and greets for Sig owners? That wouldn't have cost anything except some time! It's not like Tesla is shy about spending money, but if that were really the issue there were other options available.

Last edited:
@arnold.. You have a legitimate gripe. But, that's one reason I put no stock in words only what is written. I'm sure you could call Tesla now and get three people with three different reasons why their production is behind.

As for the poor communication .. I'd guess they are very careful because they are a public company. Litigation comes from any wrong statement these days so....blame the lawyers.

Personally, Sig status was to ensure I got it in 2012 for the tax benefit balancing the extra cost and if something special got added,icing on the cake.

5000 originally forecast, cut to 3,000+/-

One would find your claim hard to believe .... And it would deal a major blow to stock price.
Sigs well under #500 have been pushed back to early/mid November at this point due to various unspecified delays. It wouldn't take much in the way of further supplier problems to push out finishing Sigs by 4-6 weeks which bumps up against Jan 1st.

I'm not saying it'll happen or that it's even likely and I hope it doesn't, but the point is simply that based on what we've seen going on the last couple months I wouldn't count every Sig as a lock for this year.

I find it funny that with Tesla owning its retail stores, better service and building made-to-order, the whole car buying experience was supposed to be better than going to a traditional car dealership. IMO it has turned out to be the opposite. I've had more aggravation from this car purchase than all my other ones combined and then some.

@arnold.. You have a legitimate gripe. But, that's one reason I put no stock in words only what is written. I'm sure you could call Tesla now and get three people with three different reasons why their production is behind.

As for the poor communication .. I'd guess they are very careful because they are a public company. Litigation comes from any wrong statement these days so....blame the lawyers.

If they were careful about communication because they are a public company, they shouldn't have three different reasons why their production is behind. They should all be on the same page.

Your right, once you get the car, it won't be on the forefront of your thoughts, but when people ask about where and how you got it, those thoughts will come back again.

No, not these two friends. They're not on the forum and, outside of them being impatient for delivery, I've not heard a negative word from them about Tesla. I suspect (but it's only two data points) that being on the forum drives up the level of dissatisfaction. I think everyone has valid points, but it all gets amplified with the ongoing discussion.

No, not these two friends. They're not on the forum and, outside of them being impatient for delivery, I've not heard a negative word from them about Tesla. I suspect (but it's only two data points) that being on the forum drives up the level of dissatisfaction. I think everyone has valid points, but it all gets amplified with the ongoing discussion.

I would also wager those on the forum are likely more "invested" -- as in, we know the finer details and actually care. Getting the car will be nice, but it won't erase the delivery experience from my mind, nor will it stop me from thinking I got Shaffer (if this IS all we get) and affect future purchases and referrals to tesla.

I still remember the problems I had getting my r8. That wasn't Audi's fault, it was with the trucking companies we tried to use. To this day I remember the companies that lied and failed and the one that finally came through and ive kept their business card. Ironically, the issue partly came from the fact it was wintery out and no one wanted to drive cross country in that weather. With the delays, I hope my s isn't sloshing through the snow as well :(