Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let’s say they sell 300k, a nice 60k increase on last year. They might have sold another 60k if they had stalks.

I’m glad we have Internet forums these days so you can tell us which of these it might be…

Tesla Model 3 Europe Sales Data & Charts​

Europe Annual Sales​

YearSales Units

If you see the numbers it is clear how many model 3 they have sold over the last 4 years. Other than 2021 where there was a significant increase the numbers are consistently around 85-95000.

US Annual Sales​

YearSales Units

The US figures again follow a pattern of around 150,000units on average with some increase in 2020 and 2022.

Not so sure about UK market or may be clubbed with Europe data. But around 19,000 model 3 were sold in 2022 and 25,000 were sold in 2021 (Model Y was introduced in 2021-22). Q1 2020 showed around 5000 and the rest of the year had similar sales figures. so around 20,000 units.

If there is any decline in numbers below 15,000units in UK then we are clear that stalks are the issue in UK (not with absolute certainty but a trend will move the debate in that direction). But again if you see Europe data then any fall around 70-75000 will clearly say Stalk is one of the issue. And you have US market for comparison as they are yet to get the no stalk version.

Btw Model 3 in Q2 2019 (we all know that’s when it was introduced in UK) sold only 179 cars. What a story!

Last edited:
If you see the numbers it is clear how many model 3 they have sold over the last 4 years. Other than 2021 where there was a significant increase the numbers are consistently around 85-95000.

But how many would have been sold in 2022 if the Model Y wasn't available? I'd wager it would be significantly higher than the 2021 figure. The MY is a more practical car for many, so has taken over as the highest selling car in Europe and has taken away a significant volume of sales from the M3.

Trying to predict the impact of the changes to the Highland M3 on the sales figures is next to impossible IMO.

If there is any decline in numbers below 15,000units in UK then we are clear that stalks are the issue in UK.

There are some strong opinions on this thread about the stalks. On the internet there's always a vocal group who are vehemently against certain changes to something they are used to (in everything, not just cars). There are far more factors in play that may affect volume of sales than just removal of stalks, and in no way whatsoever would it be "clear" that any decline is a direct result of that one change.

Reactions: boombap and Doudeau

Tesla Model 3 Europe Sales Data & Charts​

Europe Annual Sales​

YearSales Units

US Annual Sales​

YearSales Units

The US figures again follow a pattern of around 150,000units on average with some increase in 2020 and 2022.

Not so sure about UK market or may be clubbed with Europe data. But around 19,000 model 3 were sold in 2022 and 25,000 were sold in 2021 (Model Y was introduced in 2021-22). Q1 2020 showed around 5000 and the rest of the year had similar sales figures. so around 20,000 units.

If there is any decline in numbers below 15,000units in UK then we are clear that stalks are the issue in UK. But again if you see Europe data then any fall around 70-75000 will clearly say Stalk is one of the issue. And you have US market for comparison as they are yet to get the no stalk version.

Btw Model 3 in Q2 2019 (we all know that’s when it was introduced in UK) sold only 179 cars. What a story!
Maybe you aren’t getting my point but there’s many factors to car sales numbers, for the Model 3 the lack of stalks is just one of my. It’s not possible to know what impact the stalks have, the only way we might be able to judge is if they sold a Model 3 with stalks and one without but otherwise no differences.

I mean I’d love to know since they offered the Model S with a Yoke and without, how many still pick a Yoke. Especially in Europe where our roads aren’t as straight and we need to indicator more. However even without those figures, you might they must have been getting feedback from people that they weren’t buying because of the Yoke otherwise why bring the steering wheel back.

When I purchased my first 2 Teslas I remember being in the showroom and the assistant couldn’t really give a monkeys whether or not I ordered the car - he just said go home and place the order on your laptop.

I am just coming to the end of my PCP on car number 2 and went to the Tesla website for a settlement figure and ever since then I am receiving about 3 text messages a day and at least 5 phone calls and emails a week to see if I’m ready to place the order.

How times have changed!

When I purchased my first 2 Teslas I remember being in the showroom and the assistant couldn’t really give a monkeys whether or not I ordered the car - he just said go home and place the order on your laptop.

As far as I understand it, the showroom staff are not sales staff and don't get paid commission. They are there to answer questions about the car & deal with test drives/service appointments only. Personally, I think this is a much better setup than being "sold to" by a salesman. No offense to any salesmen here, but I really can't stand that whole process at all. Even more so when the person doing the selling knows next to nothing about the product they are selling, but try to blag their way through it anyway and get half the details wrong (which is what happened at VW for me with the ID3). I had a much better experience on my first test drive with Tesla. They showed me how to start the car with the card & how to get it into gear then left me to it.

I am just coming to the end of my PCP on car number 2 and went to the Tesla website for a settlement figure and ever since then I am receiving about 3 text messages a day and at least 5 phone calls and emails a week to see if I’m ready to place the order.

Just tell them you changed your mind (even if you haven't) and you won't be changing your car. That stopped them calling me after I requested a settlement figure.

A bit off topic but has anyone had any luck trying to renegotiate the balloon payment at the end of the PCP? Obviously the car is worth nowhere near what was estimated 4 years ago.

I'd want to keep my cars at the end of the deal but there's no chance I'm shelling out 30k for each of them

As far as I understand it, the showroom staff are not sales staff and don't get paid commission. They are there to answer questions about the car & deal with test drives/service appointments only. Personally, I think this is a much better setup than being "sold to" by a salesman.
I don't this is correct. I thought the same when I purchased mine in 2021, but the guy kept telling me to add his name to the order or something, so he got the credit because "bonus time was coming up in December". He called me multiple times after my test drive.

I recently had a call from the "service centre" to let me know the Highland was in the showroom this week.

I don't this is correct. I thought the same when I purchased mine in 2021, but the guy kept telling me to add his name to the order or something, so he got the credit because "bonus time was coming up in December". He called me multiple times after my test drive.

I recently had a call from the "service centre" to let me know the Highland was in the showroom this week.

Yes, it definitely used to be the case that there was no sales link to test drives and subsequent orders but it may well have changed in more recent years.

That’s not true. This car had something common with the Tesla Model 3 when it comes to steering wheel, it had the ‘quartic steering wheel’. It was on sale for nine years and sold around 650,000 models - but its Austin 1100 predecessor sold 2.1 million examples in all of its badge engineered guises. It will be quickly obvious if the sales tank in this modern world with forums like this which wasn’t there in the 70s.

View attachment 987967

Oh my word, Volvo has gone and beaten the Austin Allegro - the new EX30 has the quadratic steering wheel!
IMG_0050.png

Reactions: zoomer0056
Yes, it definitely used to be the case that there was no sales link to test drives and subsequent orders but it may well have changed in more recent years.
I guess there’s a difference between a commission based sales person which old school garages do, and salaried staff with performance related bonuses based on a mixture of metrics including sales. The latter encourages a more balanced set of behaviours and may include centre performance as opposed to hard sales per individual and stuff everyone else

Reactions: EVMeister
They didn't have to chase previously because demand outstripped supply. It didn't matter too much if you ordered as they knew if you didn't, plenty would do. That's not a case anymore, especially for EV's at the moment so they do have to chase. Regardless of if they get commission or not, they exist in a sales role to help Tesla sell cars.

0% Car Finance Deals | Best Interest Free Car Finance Deals

Just look at the list of 0% APR cars listed on Carwow. That's a heavy discount with the interest rates we have currently. Not saying it's all EV's that are struggling to shift, all cars are but just EV's are worse.

Land Rover has a £2k finance contribution on a Range Rover Sport Diesel last month, it's up to £5k now. It also has a lower interest rate than their other cars that are backed up for a year+, the diesel you can get pretty quickly.