Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snippy forum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am NOT enjoying the level of negativity and snippiness of late. I know many of the members are anxious and even frustrated, but the average quality of the posts in this forum has declined IMO. Did the MS/MX sub forums also experience this as production struggled to ramp up?

To whom much is given, much will be required...

Tesla (and Elon Musk specifically) have been the recipient of tremendous goodwill that has translated into increased sales for his company and 400K+ Model 3 reservations. This outpouring of support MAY require Elon to revisit how he (and representatives of the company) communicate about the Model 3.

I believe part of the negativity and snippiness reflected in the Model 3 discussions stems in-part from how information about the vehicle is communicated.

Most people (I believe) on this forum are patient and want the Model 3 to be a success however, in the void of accurate information from credible sources within Tesla, negative rumors will take hold and the very loyal Tesla fans push-back against the negativity.

I would hope Tesla could allow someone from his leadership team be the Communication Point Person for the Model 3 release. I think much can be shared now about the vehicle and not impact Model X/S sales while we wait for the ordering process to slowly unfold. I've never been a fan of using Twitter as a primary means of communicating important information impacting a global audience.

I think the confluence of Elon's impromptu tweets, owner / surrogate information sharing on social media, and unconfirmed rumors are at the root of the negativity. I think Tesla can improve the communication to customers, share a bit more information - in a formal manner, and be more specific on the timing of the next update.

When I spend so much energy in the outside world championing the company to skeptics, I yearn for a place where I can occasionally be skeptical of the company with its fellow champions.

For me it's not "occasionally" or 'always', or 'never' or whatever else. It's when Tesla deserves it, that they'll hear it from me. Unfortunately, lately it's been more often than not.

Let me repeat: I watched some of my closest friends - people who knew each other in real life - say the most awful, cruel, despicable things to each other if they so much as slightly disagreed with what was perceived by “the true believers” to be The One True Way Forward heading into the general. The friends I have who are conservative reported similar phenomena amongst their social circles: never-ending Purity Tests handed out by self-perceived in-group arbiters.

You can leave politics out of this one, if you ask me. I'd simply call it human nature as a result of the way we've evolved. We're barely out of the jungle as a species. Humans are most comfortable with tribal or clan systems. It's in our DNA.

I quit Facebook in November and I haven’t looked back.

I don't see it as all or nothing. I barely use Facebook but when we go on holidays I upload pics and my mother and sisters can see them. Plus, if I lose my phone, the pics will be saved. So I find it useful.

I am NOT enjoying the level of negativity and snippiness of late. I know many of the members are anxious and even frustrated, but the average quality of the posts in this forum has declined IMO. Did the MS/MX sub forums also experience this as production struggled to ramp up?
That´s what happens when so many unfulfilled promises stack up, that even fans can`t ignore them anymore....

Reactions: AustinPowers
To whom much is given, much will be required...

Tesla (and Elon Musk specifically) have been the recipient of tremendous goodwill that has translated into increased sales for his company and 400K+ Model 3 reservations. This outpouring of support MAY require Elon to revisit how he (and representatives of the company) communicate about the Model 3.

I believe part of the negativity and snippiness reflected in the Model 3 discussions stems in-part from how information about the vehicle is communicated.

Most people (I believe) on this forum are patient and want the Model 3 to be a success however, in the void of accurate information from credible sources within Tesla, negative rumors will take hold and the very loyal Tesla fans push-back against the negativity.

I would hope Tesla could allow someone from his leadership team be the Communication Point Person for the Model 3 release. I think much can be shared now about the vehicle and not impact Model X/S sales while we wait for the ordering process to slowly unfold. I've never been a fan of using Twitter as a primary means of communicating important information impacting a global audience.

I think the confluence of Elon's impromptu tweets, owner / surrogate information sharing on social media, and unconfirmed rumors are at the root of the negativity. I think Tesla can improve the communication to customers, share a bit more information - in a formal manner, and be more specific on the timing of the next update.
or he could just stop making claims that either are not ready for prime time or are impossible to achieve.

or he could just stop making claims that either are not ready for prime time or are impossible to achieve.
You don't know what's impossible until you try to achieve it, and that's something EM is really good at. That said, whenever he makes a claim- of any sort- it's best to mentally insert "I hope..." in front of it.
Makes everything a lot easier to swallow.
Robin

You don't know what's impossible until you try to achieve it, and that's something EM is really good at. That said, whenever he makes a claim- of any sort- it's best to mentally insert "I hope..." in front of it.
Makes everything a lot easier to swallow.
Robin
being a visionary is one thing but being in business and making promises that can't be realized is another, without his vision he wouldn't have accomplished as much as he's had but other than the elon zealots who worship at the alter of elon his far reaching promises and failure to deliver will get him in hot waters with the average customer.

image.jpeg
being a visionary is one thing but being in business and making promises that can't be realized is another, without his vision he wouldn't have accomplished as much as he's had but other than the elon zealots who worship at the alter of elon his far reaching promises and failure to deliver will get him in hot waters with the average customer.
I agree. But...
Robin

• Funny
I do find it interesting that different people hear different interpretations of what Tesla or Elon says. Some people hear promises, while others hear lofty goals. Those two different interpretations result in very different judgments when the said objective isn't met! I tend to be the latter and maybe I give EM too much latitude. I think I justify it because no one else comes even close to getting results from his people and continues to literally aim for the sky. If we want reliable, meet expectations every time from EM, then the goals would look more like Volvo or GM or <insert automotive company here>. I am very anxious for my Model 3 and I think Tesla is spread too thin (EM even more so), but aiming higher is what attracted me to Tesla, so, for now, I am willing to not attack.

That said, I do think that fact that MS with AP2 still does not have rain sensing wipers (as expected) truly is an example of the inexplicable...

I do find it interesting that different people hear different interpretations of what Tesla or Elon says. Some people hear promises, while others hear lofty goals. Those two different interpretations result in very different judgments when the said objective isn't met! I tend to be the latter and maybe I give EM too much latitude.
when someone buys a car based on a promise of having a function being fully operational they don't give a rat's butt about lofty goals, they want what they paid for to function. think AP2, throttling of ludicrous, throttling of supercharger rate of charging.
fantasies, visionary thinking are all great but once you make a claim and sell a car based on those claims, those claims must be backed up by performance!

@Migdilio: absolutely love your post.

I admit I am biased when it comes to discussions about Model 3, much more so than discussions about Model S, X, or any other Tesla-related topic, as I am - like many others here - a day 1 reservation holder. Years ago I was extremely passionate about Model S, thinking it would definitely be my next car. That was before the S 40 got cancelled and the Model S in general got ever further out of reach financially.
Model 3 otoh would be the perfect Tesla for me - size, price, style, everything seems to fit. Day 1 reservation therefor was a no-brainer.
The wait is one factor that is unpleasant, but it is not the main factor. I am a very patient guy, and am used to waiting for stuff I would love to have. The problem with Tesla in general, as others have also said, is communication. It starts with Elon himself and goes all the way down to store personnel. Tesla has a lot to learn about good communication. Once they get this sorted, a lot of naysaying will have lost its basis. I am so looking forward to that day.

Anyway, as far as this forum is concerned, I must say that it is one of the most enjoyable I have ever had the priviledge of being a member of. As always, there as some extreme posts here and there, but on the whole I feel that the mix of different types of "characters" is well balanced and the basis for both fun as well as very good information and discussion. Especially for someone like me, who is neither a native speaker of English nor a US citizen, being made welcome is very pleasant.

And @ the moderators: keep up the good work in bringing balance to the more "heated" discussions. Highly appreciated.

@Migdilio: absolutely love your post.

I admit I am biased when it comes to discussions about Model 3, much more so than discussions about Model S, X, or any other Tesla-related topic, as I am - like many others here - a day 1 reservation holder. Years ago I was extremely passionate about Model S, thinking it would definitely be my next car. That was before the S 40 got cancelled and the Model S in general got ever further out of reach financially.
Model 3 otoh would be the perfect Tesla for me - size, price, style, everything seems to fit. Day 1 reservation therefor was a no-brainer.
The wait is one factor that is unpleasant, but it is not the main factor. I am a very patient guy, and am used to waiting for stuff I would love to have. The problem with Tesla in general, as others have also said, is communication. It starts with Elon himself and goes all the way down to store personnel. Tesla has a lot to learn about good communication. Once they get this sorted, a lot of naysaying will have lost its basis. I am so looking forward to that day.

Anyway, as far as this forum is concerned, I must say that it is one of the most enjoyable I have ever had the priviledge of being a member of. As always, there as some extreme posts here and there, but on the whole I feel that the mix of different types of "characters" is well balanced and the basis for both fun as well as very good information and discussion. Especially for someone like me, who is neither a native speaker of English nor a US citizen, being made welcome is very pleasant.

And @ the moderators: keep up the good work in bringing balance to the more "heated" discussions. Highly appreciated.

Thanks for your post. Please allow this individual to add to your welcome by complimenting your "second-language" English writing skills, which are far superior to those of most native-born Americans! As one who has taught here at a college level, I would have had much less to correct if you had been one of my students. Well done, sir!

This is my first time being a part of a car release like this. I have been a part of many iPhone build ups and console build ups. But I have seen the negativity here climb and climb. There is a lot of negativity about all the features that people aren't getting, even at this stage of released info. I understand some people thought this $35k car was going to have HUD, and Tow hitch, AM radio, free charging , and solar recharging roof, and a grill option, and dual displays, and 100 other things, and are pissed about it. And there is nothing you can do to calm them. They expect.... no they demand these features be included or they cancel their reservation.

I liked probably 5 months ago when everyone was still speculating and it was positive and fun. People were creating resources for those of us without Tesla experience, and sharing information from their current experiences. I miss those days :-(

My "negativity" started when I discovered that my $35,000 car was going to cost $50,000. I think you can probably trace most of what you see as negativity to the July 28 reveal; which for me showed fewer standard features and much higher prices than I expected.

My "negativity" started when I discovered that my $35,000 car was going to cost $50,000. I think you can probably trace most of what you see as negativity to the July 28 reveal; which for me showed fewer standard features and much higher prices than I expected.
I always knew that a $35k model 3 would never be made, it is rare that manufacturers build bare bone base vehicles.

I always knew that a $35k model 3 would never be made, it is rare that manufacturers build bare bone base vehicles.
When I ordered my S, it was bare bones zero options. Tesla built and delivered it just as timely as any other order placed at that time. A year from now I might do the same with my 3 since so much can be done over the air as I have done with my S.

Reactions: Rich966
If you expected to get 300 mile range and autopilot for $35,000, that's your delusion, not Elon's. (This is the snippy forum, isn't it?)