Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"SmartCharge New York" "rewards"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just saw an advertisement -- here -- for "SmartCharge New York", a Con Edison-sponsored program which claims to reward EV owners for charging off-peak (with beefier rewards, during the summer months, for never ever charging on-peak within Con Edison's service area).

Rewards seem to basically boil down to $.05/kWh in "SmartCharge Rewards". Given the extreme cost of charging in New York City, getting a $.05/kWh rebate would certainly take some of the sting out. But:
  • Does anyone know what these "SmartCharge Rewards" actually are? If they aren't cash-equivalent, they're likely of no use to me since I don't personally buy any goods or services directly from Con Ed.
  • The mechanism for tracking charging seems to be a fob that would stay plugged into the diag port of my Model S at all times. I do worry about giving tracking and diagnostic information about my car to a non-Tesla 3rd party; have others gone for this before? How do you feel about it?
  • What keeps people from gaming the system by simply unplugging the fob when charging at peak hours in the utility's service area (thus collecting the "never ever charged on-peak in summer" monthly bonus, currently $20)? If that happens in any large numbers, I'd expect this whole thing to be hastily withdrawn...
The SmartCharge New York site is pretty enough but perhaps unsurprisingly lacks detail about -- for example -- what the "...in SmartCharge Rewards" language really means (cash? green stamps? cracker-jack prizes?). Mostly wondering if someone else here has already signed up and can give the real lowdown on how it works.

OK, I realized I'd missed a section of their FAQ. The answer on reward redemption is:

"SmartCharge RewardsTM are redeemed in the form of e-gift cards, allowing you to choose from assorted retailers like Amazon.com, Target, REI, The Home Depot, iTunes®, Starbucks, and Fandango to name a few. Or you can donate to nonprofits such as Habitat for Humanity, Clean Water Foundation and The Nature Conservancy."

If I can spend it on Amazon, it's basically cash-equivalent to me. Sounding better than I expected, honestly. Anyone already signed up for this or thinking of it and have thoughts on the other two questions?

What keeps people from gaming the system by simply unplugging the fob when charging at peak hours in the utility's service area (thus collecting the "never ever charged on-peak in summer" monthly bonus, currently $20)? If that happens in any large numbers, I'd expect this whole thing to be hastily withdrawn...

Unplugging the fob probably triggers a flag on your account for review. In addition if you unplug the fob with the car charged at 20% and plug it back in charged to 90% they know you charged the car. They would also likely track the location of the plug/unplug and the odometer readings.

So I don't see that as being a problem.

• Informative
Reactions: SoxFan2004
The problem Coned has is that their infrastructure is so old throughout most of the outer boroughs. I work in Queens and frequently charge there during working hours (peak). I also have a business location in Brooklyn with high electric demand equipment. I have had many motors replaced because of low voltage conditions. I know someone in the Bronx who only gets 180-190 volts on a 220 line. I get 208 or less in the summer in Queens (about 213 in the winter).

Being that I don't have a personal account in Coned's territories, I probably will not be eligible. That, coupled with the refusal to upgrade the lines, and the highest electric rates I know of (about 25 cents a kWh), I will continue to charge when I damn well please.

I tried it. You attach this doohickey to your Tesla and it hogs the cellular data that you're receiving. The cell music and nav slowed significantly. I called Smartcharge about the problem. They indicated that there was an issue and they had a "workaround" I decided not to mess with it and opted out.