Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart home hubs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are not going to want Control4 then. The only thing I don't really like about this system is that you can't fully control it as an end user - you need a dealer to install any hardware or drivers, including drivers that are purely software related - like sending a Prowl notification. Their programming is done by something called ComposerPro that only dealers are allowed to use. Consumers get a slightly dumbed down version called Composer HE(Home Edition). It does pretty much all of the programming but you can't add devices. It is also a dumbed down programming language that is totally drag and drop, although you could write your own drivers - I believe they use a language called lua.

Yea I'm familiar with lua and Python and perl. Languages aren't an issue. But if they have a closed system like that then I'm probably not interested.

For your last point, Neurio Home Intelligence looks interested; I invested in the KS campaign, but don't have mine yet.

For everything else, your challenge is having a really good UX, regardless of how complex, or what technology is used on the back end. Right now, I don't think there's any single company that has a great UX (on multiple devices/interfaces) that can work with multiple underlying technologies. As I mentioned up-thread, my company has several 'innovation properties', all of which are using slightly different, but high-end automation platforms and technologies. We're working directly with many of the top vendors and installers, but still the challenge is getting a truly reliable, autonomous system that can interact with the high-end gear, and the lower-end consumer gear such as Nest, or Sonos. The one thing I would say is don't bother with speech recognition, it's still nowhere close to being a good option.

You're a good candidate for Indigo. It's well suited for what you're trying to do,mince it can support almost anything with an API, along with Insteon & Zwave.

Can't stand macs, though I do have a Mac mini (as well as virtual macs running in vmworkstation). So maybe...I was trying to avoid it haha. On the plus side at least they use Python which I'd prefer for this kind of task.

yobigd20, my experience is mainly w/ the VeraLite, so I might be biased. Here's what I like about it:

- Inexpensive, wireless. I started small and built up over time
- Lots of compatible 3rd party devices (door locks, light switches, door/motion sensor, etc.)
- No monthly fees since I'm building/running the system myself
- Highly extensible through plugins (nest, sonos, basically anything that speaks http). See all apps here
http://apps.mios.com/
- Web UI for control and configuration from any computer, including the Tesla browser
- Awesome 3rd party support on Android
-
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.garrettpower.authomationhd
- Tasker and Google Now Voice integration

Take a look at their online forum. There are sub forums for things like energy management and programming.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php

Has anybody had any experience with OpenHAB? (openHAB - empowering the smart home)
It appears to offer support for lots of different protocols (the usual Insteon, Z-wave, etc but also One-wire, PulseAudio, several different TVs as well as a range of web services) and also has a selection of user interfaces for a wide range of devices (several different web interfaces, Android, iPhone, etc.).
I also like the fact that it is free open source so easy to dig into it and get it to do what you want.
Indigo looks good but ties you to the Mac. OpenHAB will run on Mac, Windows, Linux and even the Raspberry Pi (for a small efficient server).

Yea I'm familiar with lua and Python and perl. Languages aren't an issue. But if they have a closed system like that then I'm probably not interested.
Most of the more mature HA vendors have closed or relatively closed systems. Were you planning on installing the hardware yourself or having someone do that?

You will want to think about where to mount switches and/or touchscreen panels. Smartphones are good to use at times but you don't want to always have to pull out a smartphone to turn on a light switch. And just like with remote controls you are often better off with dedicated hardware rather than using a smartphone/tablet. But you may want to mount iPads or other tablets in the wall as controllers and think about how you upgrade them through time. Your HA should also take into account your AV systems especially if you are doing audio throughout the house and are thinking about centralized video distribution using something like a video matrix switch. Were you thinking about distributing video or just having sources at all of your TVs?

I really like a lot of the new stuff but it often only does individual components of the HA. Hopefully HomeKit will bring it all together for those of us that use Apple stuff. That is the good thing about Control4, Crestron, etc. Everything can be tied into the one system and controlled form one controller/app/touchscreen. You don't want to need one app (Hunter Douglas Platinum) for your blinds, a second app for your t-stat (Carrier MyInfinity), a third app for your lights (Philips Hue), a fourth app for your door locks, a fifth app for your fireplace, ...

As you may be able to tell I am on the bleeding edge of some of this stuff.

Wow, a lot of action in this thread this morning!

yobigd20, given your programming experience, I'd follow what ww73 has done and program through Vera. If I had any programming acumen I would choose that route, alas I'm an orthodontist and the last time I programmed was html over 15 years ago.

For me, I don't see Vera as being as plug-and-play as I need without being able to write some script. That's why I'm leaning towards Control4 right now. It has good integration of a wide variety of components and as long as I'm smart about pre-wiring and drop enough CAT6, I don't mind having to use the dealer to add devices occasionally. But it depends on the cost of entry.

I may just prewire and wait for the hubs to become more standardized and easy to add-on. I can have my security system and AV components installed as the house goes up, then add automation from there.

Does anyone here follow any tech / home automation forums? Just wondering how people stay up to date with this kind of home mods / home automation / diy / home theater etc. I was just grepping tapatalk and added a few but curious if others here follow some other related forums:

5e00de5ae1475a5f8ad26ce2f039cb04.jpg

Or any other related techie blog type sites but usually those don't have enough content (aka lifehacker, Engadget, gizmodo, tomshardware, etc) ?

Also, anyone here experiment with raspberry pi and write their own code for home automation tasks? (As a software engineer I've been meaning to start tinkering into this realm but afraid once I start it'll consume all my time haha)

Last edited:
Also, anyone here experiment with raspberry pi and write their own code for home automation tasks? (As a software engineer I've been meaning to start tinkering into this realm but afraid once I start it'll consume all my time haha)
I'm starting to build a home automation system using a Raspberry Pi and OpenHAB (openHAB - empowering the smart home). This is open source software written in Java which supports a large number of different protocols and hardware platforms (openHAB - empowering the smart home). Since it's Java, it runs on Windows, Linux (including ARM Linux for the Pi) and Macintosh. I think it's wasteful to have a full PC running all of the time just for the very low requirements of home automation and the Pi is a good choice (<5w).
I'm using Insteon (for control) and One Wire (for sensors).
It will take a lot of time but looks like the most flexible system out there.
Lots of good information on their GitHub site: Hardware FAQ · openhab/openhab Wiki · GitHub

I have had a Control4 system for several years and there is a Control4 specific forum. There is some neat stuff being done on the Raspberry Pi - the OpenSprinklerPi looks good if you need an irrigation system. I am building a solar/battery powered floating RaspberryPi powered PoolPi as a project this spring and summer.

I'm starting to build a home automation system using a Raspberry Pi and OpenHAB (openHAB - empowering the smart home). This is open source software written in Java which supports a large number of different protocols and hardware platforms (openHAB - empowering the smart home). Since it's Java, it runs on Windows, Linux (including ARM Linux for the Pi) and Macintosh. I think it's wasteful to have a full PC running all of the time just for the very low requirements of home automation and the Pi is a good choice (<5w).
I'm using Insteon (for control) and One Wire (for sensors).
It will take a lot of time but looks like the most flexible system out there.
Lots of good information on their GitHub site: Hardware FAQ · openhab/openhab Wiki · GitHub

interesting project, i'll take a look :) thx

Wow! Thanks for this. You have really spent a lot of time investigating these things. Good to see your impressions.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I thought I would update my original posts. I ended up going with Control4 through recommendations from here. Since 2014 it has exploded with functionality and now we have Echos around the house to control most functions with voice. Controls lights, garage doors, gate, indoor and outdoor shades, music and video distribution, pool controls, etc. If anyone has questions just shoot me a message.