Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker radio interface

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everybody keeps talking about Slacker premium, but I believe that the account with the Model S is just slacker plus and that's all the features it supports. I believe doesn't do you any good to pay the extra money for slacker premium over plus if all you are doing is using it in the Model S.

The other crazy thing is when I goto a favorite station that had a song on, now it doesn't even play that song! I called Tesla and they were confused. I went and started a Slacker Premium account for $9.99/month and 8 out 10 songs I requested in the car came up! Also from my iPhone I made a playlist and it shows under the Playlist tab in Slacker. Going to try it for a month or so and see if really worth the 10 bucks a month. It's really cool to show off the any song thing and being able to build the playlists from my iPhone makes it easy. I cant understand why Tesla doesn't know whats going on and why our Slacker accounts suddenly changed BEFORE the 3 month trial expired.

Everybody keeps talking about Slacker premium, but I believe that the account with the Model S is just slacker plus and that's all the features it supports. I believe doesn't do you any good to pay the extra money for slacker premium over plus if all you are doing is using it in the Model S.

This is absolutely correct. There are multiple threads going on this issue but the answer remains the same. Don't bother paying for a premium account because you won't get the features above what you will get with a Plus account. One of those features is an expanded library of songs that can be played on demand. This has been confirmed by Tesla. It has also been explained to me that while it's something that could be fixed in the future, it doesn't seem like a high priority. I will again suggest that if you care, let Tesla know. It's how they decide what needs improvement.

When I log into the Slacker account online it shows we have a Plus account, which cant play music on demand. But like we all know IT DID BEFORE! Something changed....

slacker.png

When I log into the Slacker account online it shows we have a Plus account, which cant play music on demand. But like we all know IT DID BEFORE! Something changed....

View attachment 21040

Jerry, you are 100% correct. Something changed with Slacker. Period. Tesla needs to know about this and raise some hell with Slacker. Elon touted this feature as one of the neat tech features of the car. Now Slacker just went and made him a liar. We all should be calling into the Ownership team to express our displeasure at having this feature disappear.

- - - Updated - - -

Spoke to Ownership. They are aware of the issue via numerous reports from other Model S owners. They suspect it may be something that changed with the Slacker Radio Plus subscriptions. Didn't get the warm and fuzzy that it would be fixed any time soon though since it was on the Slacker side and not Tesla. Opened a case and hope to hear back on the eventual solution.

Suggest others do the same...

So, if it is just that the On Demand was removed from the Radio Plus, does it still work if you have a Premium account? That is what I would subscribe to if I replaced my Spotify subscription. Anyone know?

Yes it works with the $9.99/month plan. Most requests I did played. Like others have said it also might be to copyright or non agreements in place for some songs. I think Tesla made some sort of deal where we had a plus account with the song on demand option thrown in, and now it's gone.....who knows....for now I am paying the 10 a month till it gets sorted out. Would be nice to pay $3 month and get song on demand. It is nice I must say to add playlists and songs on my Iphone and they show up on MS!

I don't mean to sound like a complainer but when every Model S owner (nearly 10k now) loses a feature that was demonstrated as part of the "walkthrough video" sent by Tesla without notification, we should not have to pay $10/month just to get it back. Proper customer service should dictate a notification that a feature would be lost and offering the ability to upgrade for either a reduced fee (since most of the $10 month features do not work on the Tesla Model S software) or enjoying the feature for a period of time before it is actually lost.

Seems to me like this is an outage or feature loss that affects every Model S owner.

Yes it works with the $9.99/month plan. Most requests I did played. Like others have said it also might be to copyright or non agreements in place for some songs. I think Tesla made some sort of deal where we had a plus account with the song on demand option thrown in, and now it's gone.....who knows....for now I am paying the 10 a month till it gets sorted out. Would be nice to pay $3 month and get song on demand. It is nice I must say to add playlists and songs on my Iphone and they show up on MS!
Thanks for the confirmation. I may sign up for a month. I thnk I have a trial code for premium somewhere. If not, I'll just take the $10 hit to try it out for a month. will need to recreate my playlists from Spotify though!
I don't mean to sound like a complainer but when every Model S owner (nearly 10k now) loses a feature that was demonstrated as part of the "walkthrough video" sent by Tesla without notification, we should not have to pay $10/month just to get it back. Proper customer service should dictate a notification that a feature would be lost and offering the ability to upgrade for either a reduced fee (since most of the $10 month features do not work on the Tesla Model S software) or enjoying the feature for a period of time before it is actually lost.

Seems to me like this is an outage or feature loss that affects every Model S owner.
Well, I agree mostly. But I thought it was always a trial. Now should it requre the $10 level or $3 level subscription is a point of fair contention IMO.

Hey DJ, saw your tweet to Musk and his reply....pretty awesome....

Still have not heard back from Slacker from my 4/28/13 request.

Here is what I sent to Slacker on April 26:

How long does the Tesla free Slacker last?
What has to be done to subscribe and will there be additional features?

- What features of the premium will work in the car, which won't?
- Will playlists be accessible in any way?
- Will I be able to do unlimited skips?
- Will stations I create on the PC/Mac/iPhone5 be available in the MS and vice versa?
- Will "any song" work like it should? (Even if I have to select from a list on the screen)

Is there a tutorial that will help learn all the features of Slacker and the Tesla interface?
Thanks,
Richard

After two additional inquiries with " Your request (Tesla) has been received and is being reviewed by our support staff.",
They finally replied with, "

Charles B (Slacker Radio)
May 23 08:58 (PDT)
All of the questions below are best handled through the Tesla dealership."

I will submit the questions to Tesla and let you know the response.

RNG

I will submit the questions to Tesla and let you know the response.

RNG

Answer from Tesla:

Hi Richard,

Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors. I apologize for the delay, as I have been out of the office for the last few days.

The Slacker App for the Model S was always built with the “Plus” account in mind. Due to this, most of the premium account functionality will not function through the app. The Slacker “Plus” account that is currently being included with the vehicle is a 3-month trial that should include unlimited skips.

Stations you create on the web should also be available on the Model S, but the trial version of the subscription is only accessible through the Model S. If you choose to create your own Slacker account after this trial period ends, you will have the functionality of utilizing it on the web, as well as the vehicle.

“Any Song” is a premium feature of Slacker. While it was initially available on the Model S, Slacker’s implementation has been intermittent. That is to say, it should not be enabled on “Plus” accounts, but it seems to be functioning on some.

We hope to improve the app over time, as well as release more documentation on all the functionality of the vehicle in the future.

Thank you,

Derek Shu

My Slacker radio still allows unlimited skip and has kept the radio station that I created. It remembers my +'s and still allows me to select new ones if I skip the +'s.

No complaints so far. Hope they continue to add more benefits to the S availability, like the Premium functionality to the S application.

RNG

Thanks, RNG... that's good information. I was thinking of the Premium account when my trial ends, but if the Model S app doesn't support it, I won't waste the money.

I liked the idea of Songs and Albums on demand as well as single artist stations that you only get with Premium.

The Slacker App for the Model S was always built with the “Plus” account in mind. Due to this, most of the premium account functionality will not function through the app. The Slacker “Plus” account that is currently being included with the vehicle is a 3-month trial that should include unlimited skips.
RNG, can you follow-up to get a clarification on whether "unlimited skips" is expected to work and be supported for those upgrading from a Model-S-Trial-Plus to a standard Premium subscription? Thanks.

I guess I have a more basic question - how do I sign in with my slacker info. I don't see an option on the interface and it doesn't appear to do it 'automatically' via Tesla log in. As far as I can tell, I'm not signed in and none of my stations or favorites from the slacker web site show up in the car.

I guess I have a more basic question - how do I sign in with my slacker info. I don't see an option on the interface and it doesn't appear to do it 'automatically' via Tesla log in. As far as I can tell, I'm not signed in and none of my stations or favorites from the slacker web site show up in the car.

You have to go in to the Apps screen in the Settings (in Controls), select the Audio app and enter your login credentials there. It should be populated with the Tesla credentials by default.