Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker "Artist Channels"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But do you find the library of songs for the artists to be extensive or somewhat limited to just a few albums worth of songs for each artist?

I like the fact that if you select an artist it will stick with that artist, but the selection in some instances is dismal. You can also select an album, and it will play the whole album, but again, the selection is pretty poor. How may albums has Elton John had? Slacker will let you play maybe 5. It seems odd that they'd license an artist like Elton John, but only a handful of his albums. Still deciding if it's worth the $10/month or whatever it is I pay.

I've been using Slacker Premium basically since getting the car. I was getting bored with the selection from Pandora at the time and Slacker advertised a much wider variety.

"Artist stations" are some variation on the artist and some mix ins based on genre. I don't really use those much, but instead prefer to pick an album or make my own station; both are premium features, limited by whatever Slacker has licensed. The Slacker app on iPhone/iPad or browser provides much better customization of playlists and stations than the car app because the car app is based on the Tesla special type of subscription.

The Beatles appear to be a special case. I think Apple mostly owns that license now, because most Beatles stuff disappeared from Slacker. Even searching in the app seems to ignore the concept that the Beatles match an available artist.

For Classical and Big Band, then selections seem a bit limited. On the other hand, things like much of Rock and Alternative/Indie is covered and they seem to have a good Country selection, new and old. Electronica is well covered, including stations for things like Trap but those are a bit limited to 'popular' items within each sub-genre. Oddly tho, I think their House selection is pretty good.

Licensing impacts listening selection too. For instance, there are a couple songs missing from the Run The Jewels2 album if I try to listen to the album and about half the Rush albums, including things like Vapor Trails, are not available to listen to the album itself tho the songs might come up on a 'station' that plays random Rush stuff.

One Premium feature I'd like added to the Tesla app is the "favorites" station -- you can favorite a song but the app doesn't give option to listen to a station of random favorites.

One Premium feature I'd like added to the Tesla app is the "favorites" station -- you can favorite a song but the app doesn't give option to listen to a station of random favorites.

I believe you can do this by creating such a station on the web, then access it in the car from the Favorites tab. I need to double check this, but I do know you can do this with Playlists. Create it on the web and it'll show up in the car.

And many of us Rush fans prefer to listen to music composed after 2112.

And before, too. I find the older Rush more preferable. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I believe you can do this by creating such a station on the web, then access it in the car from the Favorites tab. I need to double check this, but I do know you can do this with Playlists. Create it on the web and it'll show up in the car.

Perhaps you need Premium. I tried to find a way to get my favorites into a favorites station and couldn't figure it out. If you do, let me know.

Perhaps you need Premium. I tried to find a way to get my favorites into a favorites station and couldn't figure it out. If you do, let me know.

I do have a Premium account.

On the Slacker web interface in "My Music", you have "Your Stations", "Your Artists", "Your Albums", "Your Songs" and "Your Playlists". In the car, there are a bunch of tabs in the Slacker interface, but, as far as I can tell, only "Playlists" and "Favorites" seem to tie back to your account.

Anything you put in "Your Playlists" on the web will show up on the "Playlists" tab in the car. This works fairly well and you can even skip forwards and backwards while playing a Playlist of songs.

"Your Stations", "Your Artists" and "Your Albums" seem to get lumped together under the "Favorites" tab in the car. I don't believe the "Your Songs" category from the web makes it over to the car. If you pick, for example, one of your saved albums from the "Favorites" tab in the car, it will play, but you can only skip forward for some reason. The first time you play an album it will start from the beginning (i.e. the first song), but on subsequent plays, it seems to start randomly anywhere in the album. Perhaps it picks up from where you stopped playing last time... not sure.

I find that sometimes, but not always, I have to log out, then log back in from the car for it to pick up any changes I have made on the web interface.

• Love
Reactions: ModelXsig1100
One other thing that I have noticed is that Slacker seems to really like certain artists for some reason. I seem to get a lot of songs by Bad Company, The Doors, and Steely Dan, regardless of what artist station I am listening to.

I've been using Slacker Premium basically since getting the car. I was getting bored with the selection from Pandora at the time and Slacker advertised a much wider variety.

"Artist stations" are some variation on the artist and some mix ins based on genre. I don't really use those much, but instead prefer to pick an album or make my own station; both are premium features, limited by whatever Slacker has licensed. The Slacker app on iPhone/iPad or browser provides much better customization of playlists and stations than the car app because the car app is based on the Tesla special type of subscription.

The Beatles appear to be a special case. I think Apple mostly owns that license now, because most Beatles stuff disappeared from Slacker. Even searching in the app seems to ignore the concept that the Beatles match an available artist.

For Classical and Big Band, then selections seem a bit limited. On the other hand, things like much of Rock and Alternative/Indie is covered and they seem to have a good Country selection, new and old. Electronica is well covered, including stations for things like Trap but those are a bit limited to 'popular' items within each sub-genre. Oddly tho, I think their House selection is pretty good.

Licensing impacts listening selection too. For instance, there are a couple songs missing from the Run The Jewels2 album if I try to listen to the album and about half the Rush albums, including things like Vapor Trails, are not available to listen to the album itself tho the songs might come up on a 'station' that plays random Rush stuff.

I figured out how to play the "Favorites Mash Up" channel a few weeks ago. Go to the Slacker website and log in then go to MY MUSIC and add the favorites mashup to your favorite channels. Then reboot the Tesla computer and it should show up as a favorite channel. I have 1500 or so songs "favorited" so it gives a nice variety!

Awesome! Do you know a similar trick for TuneIn?

TuneIn seems to be a bit messed up right now. I logged out, and nothing I could do would let me log back in. I even went on the web and changed my password. Then I discovered something weird: Even though I was getting login errors on the setting screen, and it was saying I wasn't logged in, if I went to the TuneIn app in the Media Center I was, indeed, logged in. All of my favorites I'd saved on the web site were showing up. I filed a bug report with Tesla.

TuneIn seems to bring over changes I make on the Web without the need for a re-boot or logout/login. Actually, Slacker does sometimes too. I think the logout/login thing just speeds up the process a bit.