Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Simple way of charging for four hours?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only have a commando outlet at present and wish to charge for four hours only on Octopus Go Faster.
Is there a simple way of doing this?
I don't mind starting the charge manually and using a shortcut or similar on my phone if that's possible.

Thanks in advance.

I only have a commando outlet at present and wish to charge for four hours only on Octopus Go Faster.
Is there a simple way of doing this?
I don't mind starting the charge manually and using a shortcut or similar on my phone if that's possible.

Thanks in advance.

I'd suggest charging for one hour to see what percentage that puts on battery, then multiply that percentage by four to get the percentage to add to battery to equate to four hours charging. Start time can be set from car, not sure if it can be set from app, don't think so.

That's effectively how I manage my home charging on Go.

A third party app like TeslaFi can send the commands to start and stop charging at the right times, set the car to start charging later than the start of your charging period. I think the Tesla Stats all can do the same purely from a mobile app.

Do I need to set the scheduled start time with this in the car or does it work automatically?
Automatic, but you are best to set a time to stop immediate charging:

If you've set your Tesla to Smart Charge with ev.energy, your Tesla may occasionally start charging immediately.

This is because our system only talks to your Tesla every 30 minutes. This means when you first plug in, you may charge for a short period of time before our system kicks in.

To avoid this, we recommend you set a schedule on your car to tell your car to start charging at midnight every night. ev.energy will override this schedule within 30 minutes of you plugging in your vehicle.

Automatic, but you are best to set a time to stop immediate charging:

Excellent appreciate your help with this. Makes sense now!

Just get a cheap timer pug off Amazon or somewhere. Just throttle down to 10 amps or less. I wouldn’t want to leave it drawing 13amps for 4 hours overnight while I’m asleep in bed. Just in case there’s a fire.

I'd suggest charging for one hour to see what percentage that puts on battery, then multiply that percentage by four to get the percentage to add to battery to equate to four hours charging. Start time can be set from car, not sure if it can be set from app, don't think so.

That's effectively how I manage my home charging on Go.
That's all I do: my M3LR puts in about 9% per hour, so I leave start at 00:30 and set maximum to current level + 35% from the app after plugging in. Doesn't need any more technology and if I have two long journeys on consecutive days just set it to 100%: the standard rate juice is still cheaper than charging away from home.

Either just put the charge in that you need for the next days use, or, as mentioned above and is what I do, use the % offset method.

One thing to watch with the % offset method, is that in the app, what a % is may change between setting the limit, and the charge completing. Basically, the app shows the usable battery energy, but say something like TeslaFi will show both that and an absolute value - when setting battery % in TeslaFi it will use absolute value. The usable battery will change depending on a number of factors, but the most common is battery temperature, so in cooler times, you may set charge in the app at 80% only to find that its only charged to 78%. This is because the battery has cooled overnight so the usable energy has reduced - you normally see some form of recovery as things warm. This can be shown by temporarily trying to set battery to 100% in the app, but the app refusing to go above say 98%. This is because the app is reporting usable battery as 98% but absolute % will be 100%. As a result of this, I almost always use TeslaFi to set my battery %, but I wouldn't buy TeslaFi just for this. However, if you do have it, then you can schedule a charge stop at 04:30 so job done unless you prefer to have your car stop charging at a whole % - the latter makes for a slightly more accurate battery condition report.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
I take the simple approach alluded to above. charge set to start in the car at 00:30. I know my car charges at 27miles per hour i.e. approx. 112 miles in 4 hours.
I only charge to 260 miles, so I make sure I plug in before it gets lower than 150 miles remaining give or take.

It's been rare that my driving has not allowed the above to work so i don't begrudge the once in a blue moon charging session that runs over.

I could set a charging period on my pod point charger but to date not seen the need

Last edited:
A vote here for ev.energy app, I used it with my Commando socket, and got amazon gift cards because I charged12KwH a day, so £5 every 10 days :)

EDIT: Saw your questions earlier, ev.energy talks straight to the car and understands the Go window so just charges the car to your set limit, in the windows

32a commando user here. I used quite a few of the methods listed above. First was the ev.app (absolutely brilliant and the amazon voucher was a nice touch) but had a few limitations on agile and gave me a scare when it didn't charge during the early months of ownership. I then opted to go with the ohme 'smart' cable and their app (spare charging cable to leave at home). It's been faultless since and while I was on agile it was fantastic. Since I switched to go faster it still hasn't given me any issues. Once I set to not charge beyond the off-peak price and limit the charge through the cars app, it starts/stops automatically. There isn't any button to open/close the charge port from the charger though (I've installed nfc tags) but personally wished it had the button. I won't dare to dismantle it to check what kit I need install for it. Just my two cents.

Also one to add to this thread if you are not aware:

Android - Tasker app with Tesla plugin (these costs a small one off fee) also not sure if tasker is on iOS?

Its a IFTTT app (“if this, then that.”)

You can add in a start charge and stop charge at times/days you want.

It also does a load more. You can automate all sort with it on your Tesla.

Want your car to be warm at a time in the morning when you get in? yup. Want your charge % to be different on different days? Yup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cnixon
If it's a 32A commando socket you'd need additional equipment (a timer and 32A contactor for a start) that isn't worth it. Life's too short. Plug it in when you go to bed and hit "stop charging" on your phone when you wake up.
Life is too short to set the start charge time in the car to 12:30 then set the charge limit to current charge + 40%?
What are you a May Fly?

I have a Smart Car and a SyncEV charger and that combination does not allow charging to take place during off peak hours.

So, I have ordered a 63Amp Wi-Fi controlled DIN switch that I'll connect to my Tesla charger. The Tesla will be switched on and I'll use the App to let the power through to charge the Smart Car at 32A to bring it up to 80% battery.

When I get the parts, I'll let you know how it works.