Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signature Angst

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll pay $144162 for my (almost) fully loaded Sig Perf+ and delivery is still 3 months away.

The only reason, why I opted for a Sig was, to get it earlier.

And because GB promised Sigs in Europe for "late 2012" that was ok for me, when I made the reservation.

But now, it's almost a year after the first Sigs went to their customers in the U.S. and I'm still waiting. When I signed the pre MVPA in January, I was told, that delivery would be in spring. Now I'm hopping for July.

... It's just frustrating ...

P.S. You can get a (stripped) brand new M5 for about $100000 here in Switzerland, but I'd never go for that. There is just no other car out there, that really compares to the Model S in so many ways.
The difference is the VAT, luckily I am not going to pay that this time. VAT is 25% in Norway and I think that is the same in moste EU contries. With VAT my car would cost $160980...

The price for a fully loaded Model S Signature Performance Plus is NOK 748050 without VAT and the VAT on BEV cars is 0%
The price for a stripped BMW M5 brand new is NOK 1766500 including VAT and taxes.
The VAT and taxes for a stripped BMW M5 is NOK 911601

So the taxes alone is enough for a fully loaded Model S Signature Performance Plus
Actually a 550i xDrive has enough taxes at NOK 759421 in only VAT and taxes.

No wonder Norwegians are shopping Model S :)

I am still very happy with our SSL (#1 in WESTERN Canada, Doug_G! ;-) ). Even if Tesla is done with us Sigs, I am still happy with the Sig Red, the opportunity to be a pioneer, and help make Tesla's "Year of the Model S" special.

But I am not sure they are "done" with us yet. I think we might just get some more preferential treatment down the line, with upgrades or other perks.

In fact, I was just in a Tesla Service Centre last week to pick up a couple items, and the service advisor made it very clear that when a "Red Car" (his term) walks in the door, the white gloves go on and everything that can be done is done, pronto.

Interesting comments and discussion along the lines on straight up economic value. I would suggest that maybe all of the sig bennies have not yet been exhausted. Example would be the early Roadster folks getting the S benefits they got, I'm sure that was not expected and it happened years after their purchase.

It seems as though the value is an intrinsic one mostly with a smattering of perks. As a few have offered, it was as much a statement as anything and that was for me as we'll as the extra 4 mos wait (turned out it was shorter) was worth the $ as well.

Again the pure economics not so much, but then if was truly just about that a ford focus would be the answer for basic transport.

All said, I derive real pleasure from driving this car, never before and you couldn't have told me I would. I got one of the last sigs (1094) from the wait list and many productions were delivered in front of mine, but it still felt pretty cool to be among the first!

Dave

True. However, Signature reservations were also limited to four color choices. I have Signature Red, but I would rather have the Grey.

I was going to go for a Sig, but when us Canadians got hit with the duty (import) charges, I just couldn't justify the difference. I didn't really want the 21" wheels anyway, but would have loved that Red!

At the end of the day, the first Canadian Sigs were delivered in late December, and I got my Production at the beginning of March (and I wasn't even the first), so for a hair over two months, I'm happy with the cost savings.

True. However, Signature reservations were also limited to four color choices. I have Signature Red, but I would rather have the Grey.

And I'd rather have had brown. Since there's the other red coming out (most wont be able to tell the difference off hand), I'd say the most unique thing was the white interior. Not sure how many went for that though.

As for early delivery, that probably did make sense to some of the later reservation oats (when the P list was already thousands deep), but for folks who would have been low on the P list anyway, it really didn't make a difference.

In the end, the Signature list was voluntary. I agree the value may be questionable but am fairly happy with it. Hope all of these new features are able to be retrofitted or Tesla continues to offer small perks for Signature customers. That leaves out the equally dedicated early production people though so they are in a no win situation. Give all Sigs an amazing gift or discount on something and someone else who placed their order 2 years before a Sig waiting list person will be upset. Someone will always be upset about something though.

Dave, were the early production reservationists promised a unique car and perks?

They can't be upset at anyone but themselves for not taking advantage of the then-wide open list.

In the reverse, they're sitting pretty with extra cash to spend on upgrades.

I agree the promise of a 'unique car that can't be replicated in the general production' while technically accurate (white leather and Sig red paint) ended up not being the case.
Just because someone wasn't promised something doesn't mean they won't complain if the Sig people who came off the waiting list 2 years after they did start getting a bunch of perks and they didn't. Someone will always find an angle to say something is unfair. Tesla just needs to determine what is fair and draw a line somewhere.
I do think they should try to continue to do little things for the Sig customers to make the whole value proposition more worth it and to encourage Sig reservations in the future.

For me, any future upgrades that are possible should be sold to Sig customers at a discount. That would mean Tesla wouldn't make much money but Sig customers would get a nice discount. I would like that but can't expect anything like that I guess.

Last edited:
For me, any future upgrades that are possible should be sold to Sig customers at a discount. That would mean Tesla wouldn't make much money but Sig customers would get a nice discount. I would like that but can't expect anything like that I guess.

A discount after the premium that Signature customers already paid? As it stands, reducing the price of future upgrades would mean Signature reservation holders prepaid for these upgrades. It would have to be a significant discount above the $4,500 to $6,600 premium paid per car.

I'd be satisfied that my premium was prepaid service, upgrades, etc. However, I am resigned to the fact that I bought a $6,600 gym bag.

I agree the promise of a 'unique car that can't be replicated in the general production' while technically accurate (white leather and Sig red paint) ended up not being the case.

There's always the sig nose cone that nobody else got and which we still don't have a good explanation for - maybe that makes it easier to add something cool in the future?

I feel like a lot of this comes back to the same inconsistent and lacking communication that's plagued so many parts of the Model S launch. We just don't know what they have planned and what things they say to trust.

The Sig premium is worth it only to anyone who doesn't want to wait in line. It is nonsensical to pay the Sig premium years in advance, unless you consider it a donation to Tesla. An additional color choice is not worth several thousand extra dollars, nor is it what Tesla originally promised Sig owners.

So, I wouldn't suggest to anyone with money to burn not to get a Model X Sig or Gen III Sig, but would suggest that they wait until the last minute because of the ramp up and everything; there is absolutely no point in plunking down the $40k earlier than necessary. If you want to secure a place in line, reserve early for a regular production model and you'll be getting your car within weeks of the Sigs and saving a few grand.

There is no question in my mind that amid all the chaos of the ramp up of production and everything Telsa had to do that they ended up giving less to Sigs than originally intended. A totally forgivable sin under the circumstances, and I love my car, but that's the incontrovertible truth.

A discount after the premium that Signature customers already paid? As it stands, reducing the price of future upgrades would mean Signature reservation holders prepaid for these upgrades. It would have to be a significant discount above the $4,500 to $6,600 premium paid per car.

I'd be satisfied that my premium was prepaid service, upgrades, etc. However, I am resigned to the fact that I bought a $6,600 gym bag.

Me too. I got my car really early so have had the chance to enjoy it for awhile. Of course that probably wasn't worth that much but I signed up and finalized knowing what I was getting.

There is no question in my mind that amid all the chaos of the ramp up of production and everything Telsa had to do that they ended up giving less to Sigs than originally intended. A totally forgivable sin under the circumstances, and I love my car, but that's the incontrovertible truth.

That's my guess as well. Any promise of something unique 2 years before production was just their best intent. They clearly should have indicated when things changed or reduced the premium.

Going forward, I would think their communication will be much better with the Sig list and you'll have a better idea of what you are getting.