Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla have kept the '+' moniker for the P85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not really, they were already set up for it. Just keep the + as an option (as it always was before) instead of making it mandatory on the P85D

Preferably it should be available throughout the line, just like sport suspension on german cars. If I planned to buy a new TMS now to replace my P85+ (I don't), my preference would be for a "85D+". I really appreciate the sport suspension but don't need the extreme acceleration. I got the P85+ for the suspension, carbon fibre interior and grey 21" wheels (the two last ones were only available on the P85 at the time).

As it is now, you have to get sport seats and black leather to get the sport suspension. Two options I definately do not want. Normal seats and a light color please.

Also the tech package has now grown too big and should be split up. I would like the power liftgate (and frunk, please!) and keyless entry but have no need for the autopilot functions, ACC or any of that stuff (ok, parking sensors is nice).

I agree. With a vehicle that is being built to order anyway they should give you more flexibility. One of my pet-peeves with traditional car companies has always been their option bundling (what do you mean I need to get the automatic transmission if I want the sunroof? how are those related?????) Tesla should allow full customization where you choose each piece. If you want the fog lights, but not the keyless entry, that's fine, put them in there.
I don't see why they shouldn't allow you to order an S60+ I'm sure that none of the suspension changes are battery specific.

That said, some of the tech package is purely software, and I don't think that should be an optional extra, the software pieces should just simply be there, that includes keyless entry and navigation.

I understand the features of the + are in the P85D, but they did drop the +, not available for the P85. You won't be seeing a + on any new vehicles, hence dropped.

I think you are both correct. In fundamental terms they did not drop what was part of the +. They decided to force all customers to pay for the low profile tires that are an idiotic choice for some parts of the country with badly maintained roads. So basically when we buy out P85D we are forced to fork over an extra bunch of money for absolutely no reason than the vanity of some segment of buyers who like the "look" of the low profile tires never mind the fact that they are a stupid choice if anyone spends a lot of time driving in NY/NJ roads in the winter.

I wish they'd bring back the + so those who really want the low profile tires can pay for it without forcing it on those who don't want it. So we will likely just get the P85D wasting the money they are forcing on us by requiring the low profile tires and then replacing those unpractical tires with regular 19" tires so we are not stranded by moderate potholes, as was the case the last time we had a car with low profile tires.

Preferably it should be available throughout the line, just like sport suspension on german cars. If I planned to buy a new TMS now to replace my P85+ (I don't), my preference would be for a "85D+". I really appreciate the sport suspension but don't need the extreme acceleration. I got the P85+ for the suspension, carbon fibre interior and grey 21" wheels (the two last ones were only available on the P85 at the time)

I know this thread got bumped from way back shortly after the introduction of the D, so I'm responding to this long after and way outside the context that the comment was made. But as far as I know the suspension improvements from the + have essentially been rolled into all the vehicles. At least that was my understanding from lolachampcar's experience. The only difference that was really left between a P85 and a P85+ before the D came out was staggered wheels, which you can do yourself aftermarket if you want it. In my opinion the staggered wheels are of dubious performance value on an 85D given the arrangement of the motors. I can't imagine very many people would order staggered wheels on an S85 or S60.

I prefer the "clean look" :biggrin:

image.jpg

image.jpg