Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should have purchased a CCS adaptor before the road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never let it get lower than about 40%

40% is waaaaay too high and here's another tip: If you get it down to 20% or even 10% then the juice will go into the battery a lot faster - think of loading suitcases into your trunk ...it's pretty easy at first then gets more difficult the more you already have in there

Take another trip and run it down to 30%, then another and take it to 20% - baby steps

I mean when you drove an ICE you didn't just blow right past the empty mark right? One day you took it there and a couple of weeks later you took it there, set the trip and tried three miles, then a month or so later you got up to 5 miles etc. Same thing here. baby steps

On our first trip, I went down to 30% and charged for fear of having no battery due to possible traffic or accident on the highway. This was about a week after picking up the Tesla. What I learned is that the faster you go, the more power you use per mile so in reality, traffic helps the range as you travel slower. On our drive back on that same trip, I felt more comfortable and let it go between 10-20%, depending on where the next charging station was located to charge. And as others have said, the lower it is, the faster it charges. I also let it charge 10-15% more than is needed to reach the next stop to account for when I want to go “faster”

@Ridgeline
It depends on where are you going to travel...
In Oklahoma for example, having CCS adapter is very beneficial. It helped me and other Model 3 driver once when we traveled to Wichita mountains park. For some reason, Oklahoma supercharging network is very spotty, but their local utility company Francis Energy has built a pretty good fast charging network across the state, and this is what I used for charging.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Ridgeline
You never want to count on the rated "miles" as a determination of whether you can make the next supercharger. You will end up driving 50 mph trying to achieve the "rated range" to make your next supercharger. Switch to Percentage, charge a little extra and let er rip ;)
I have indeed switched to thinking in terms of percent instead of miles. "it doesn't know how fast I'm driving and other factors" makes sense.

Same here. SC choices are generally significant and where I stop and how low I am willing to go depends on a variety of factors including amenities nearby SC, SC max speed 150 vs 250 kw, # of SC,and what I personally need…just a br break vs a meal. After a couple of roadtrips the anxiety goes away. Since I’m retired, I’m in no real hurry and if I make an extra stop, no biggie.
since you are retired you may old enough to need the stops for reasons other than filling up on fuel. (Ha) at least that's my situation. We find the stops are good for getting out of the car and stretching etc. Autopilot really helps on the driving fatigue. While I'm at it, there needs to be more hotels that have at least level 2 charging for their overnight guests. It's not cool to have to drive 20 miles (if you're lucky) in the opposite direction to a supercharger.

Reactions: howardnj and GSP
Ah, this is a good question, and the answer is because that it's not really about the units. It's about how the different readings are being done.

If people are just talking about switching the battery meter back and forth between rated miles or %, there's not really a difference there, and I do keep mine on rated miles anyway.

But when you have a route plotted in navigation, the car is doing a realtime, all-inclusive, frequently updating PROJECTION of how your current energy usage is, including wind resistance from very high speed, heating or air conditioning use, etc. and then showing the projected estimate of what your arrival % will be. That number, which is shown on the navigation screen or the "Trips" panel is very useful and accurate, because it's taking everything into account as you drive.

So if you are driving 85 mph, and your wind resistance is awful, it will figure in that high energy consumption and show that in the estimate very early with the arrival % dropping fast so you can not be surprised by it later.

So yes, I shoot for around 15 to 20% estimated arrival, so that leaves comfortable enough buffer but isn't wasting a lot of time charging too much.
"Trips" panel. hmpff, should have been looking at that. thank you

I have yet to use the CCS adapter, but I still carry it just in case. Having plenty of adapters on a long road trip is a good idea IMO.

I’m just fine with around 20% projected on arrival to the next supercharger. I feel like that’s quite conservative - plenty of headroom. I’m sure I could go a bit lower and be OK.

I started out with miles showing but after a couple of long road trips I switched to %.

I don’t drive like a bat outta hell into a strong headwind.

Here's my conservative approach. I charge at the supercharger until I have approximately 15% extra battery percentage predicted at the next supercharger. If the weather is adverse, strong winds, lots of rain, etc. then I'll bump that up to 20% extra prediction. This allows me to pretty much drive as fast as I choose and make any stops, short detours along the way. For me it's a pretty good balance between not spending too much time at the supercharger and getting quick supercharging speeds at the next stop.

I think the real problem with Tesla Nav is that it bases the drive on EPA highway speed instead of the speed limit. So you get on a 75 or 80 mph highway and find you are unable to reach the destination... big problem if you are not monitoring the arrival SOC dropping like a rock and unable to reach any chargers.

CCS network is awful, avoid at all costs.
If one has the expectation that it's as reliable as Superchargers and doesn't use aids like Plugshare, sure. But, in some (many?) regions, if you use Plugshare, plan and have at least 1 backup for each stop, it's ok.

I've done about ~2700 miles of road trips with CCS only cars and have use CCS a LOT when not technically on a road trip (no overnight stay somewhere). I'm in California and have taken routes that have plenty of CCS charging (e.g. highway 99 and 101). There are most definitely some states where the CCS coverage is poor and there are few/no CCS backups nearby.

ARob's Spring 2022 Cross Country Bolt Trip Thread made a cross country trip starting from KS and reached both coasts in his Bolt. It's not impossible at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP
Side note: In a response to a post on https://www.tivocommunity.com/threads/tesla-model-3-and-model-y-thread.588187/page-108#post-12744348 (you'll need at free account there to see it), I was surprised that when I checked on Plugshare that Supercharger coverage in/around Oklahoma City, OK was pretty light vs. CCS coverage, at least by sites.

I posted these screenshots from Plugshare.
Supercharger:
supercharger.jpeg

CCS:
ccs.jpeg

It was related to a guy renting a Model Y (but he had no CCS adapter) and having some inconvenience/difficulties where he was going/stopping at. I didn't study the details as I don't care that much, I don't know that area and the trip's over.

If he had the CCS adapter, that would've opened the window for him to use many more charging sites.

I think the real problem with Tesla Nav is that it bases the drive on EPA highway speed instead of the speed limit. So you get on a 75 or 80 mph highway and find you are unable to reach the destination... big problem if you are not monitoring the arrival SOC dropping like a rock and unable to reach any chargers.
The battery range estimate is frequently inaccurate and overstated as the estimated range is based on the fixed EPA Wh/mile efficiency. The Tesla Navigation system factors in elevation changes, temperature and posted speed limits. The Tesla Navigation system now also factors in cross winds and precipitation along the planned trip route. The Tesla Navigation system does not factor vehicle passenger load and cargo load or traffic conditions. A Better Route Planner Premium does include load and traffic conditions in metropolitan areas.

The battery range estimate is frequently inaccurate and overstated as the estimated range is based on the fixed EPA Wh/mile efficiency. The Tesla Navigation system factors in elevation changes, temperature and posted speed limits. The Tesla Navigation system now also factors in cross winds and precipitation along the planned trip route. The Tesla Navigation system does not factor vehicle passenger load and cargo load or traffic conditions. A Better Route Planner Premium does include load and traffic conditions in metropolitan areas.

Not from what I can tell. I drove from Tulsa to Weatherford, taking the toll roads NW side of Oklahoma City with 80 mph speed limit. I only made it to Weatherford because I slowed to 65mph... the whole time following the Tesla Nav's routing.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and jcanoe
Not from what I can tell. I drove from Tulsa to Weatherford, taking the toll roads NW side of Oklahoma City with 80 mph speed limit. I only made it to Weatherford because I slowed to 65mph... the whole time following the Tesla Nav's routing.
Did you enable the Trip Planner function within the Tesla Navigation system?

"Trip Planner (if available in your market region) helps you take longer road trips with confidence. If reaching your destination requires charging, Trip Planner routes you through the appropriate Supercharger locations. Trip Planner selects a route and provides charging times to minimize the amount of time you spend driving and charging. To enable Trip Planner, touch the map's settings icon (see Navigation Settings), then touch Trip Planner."

"When Trip Planner is enabled and charging is required to reach your destination, the turn-by-turn direction list includes Supercharger stops, recommended charging times at each Supercharger, and an estimate of how much energy will be available when you arrive at the Supercharger location."

Did you enable the Trip Planner function within the Tesla Navigation system?

"Trip Planner (if available in your market region) helps you take longer road trips with confidence. If reaching your destination requires charging, Trip Planner routes you through the appropriate Supercharger locations. Trip Planner selects a route and provides charging times to minimize the amount of time you spend driving and charging. To enable Trip Planner, touch the map's settings icon (see Navigation Settings), then touch Trip Planner."

"When Trip Planner is enabled and charging is required to reach your destination, the turn-by-turn direction list includes Supercharger stops, recommended charging times at each Supercharger, and an estimate of how much energy will be available when you arrive at the Supercharger location."

Yes, that's what I meant by Tesla Nav.

• Helpful
Reactions: jcanoe
Yes, that's what I meant by Tesla Nav.
Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual - Predicting Energy Usage

"The calculation that predicts how much energy you will use is an estimate based on driving style (predicted speed, etc.) and environmental factors * (elevation changes, wind speed and direction, ambient and forecasted temperatures, air density and humidity, etc.). As you drive, Model Y continuously learns how much energy it uses, resulting in improved accuracy over time. It is important to note that Model Y predicts energy usage based on the driving style of the individual vehicle. For example, if you drive aggressively for a period of time, future range predictions will assume higher consumption. Also, if you purchase a used Tesla vehicle, it is recommended that you perform a factory reset (Controls > Service > Factory Reset) to ensure the predicted energy is as accurate as possible."

"Throughout your route, Model Y monitors energy usage and updates the estimate of energy remaining at the end of your trip."

"* Some factors that contribute to predicted energy (such as forecasted temperatures and wind speed) are available only when Model Y has internet connectivity."

In my limited roadtrip experience, in warm or cold weather the Tesla Navigation system may not accurately factor in Climate Control energy usage when predicting overall energy usage.

Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual - Predicting Energy Usage

"The calculation that predicts how much energy you will use is an estimate based on driving style (predicted speed, etc.) and environmental factors * (elevation changes, wind speed and direction, ambient and forecasted temperatures, air density and humidity, etc.). As you drive, Model Y continuously learns how much energy it uses, resulting in improved accuracy over time. It is important to note that Model Y predicts energy usage based on the driving style of the individual vehicle. For example, if you drive aggressively for a period of time, future range predictions will assume higher consumption. Also, if you purchase a used Tesla vehicle, it is recommended that you perform a factory reset (Controls > Service > Factory Reset) to ensure the predicted energy is as accurate as possible."

"Throughout your route, Model Y monitors energy usage and updates the estimate of energy remaining at the end of your trip."

"* Some factors that contribute to predicted energy (such as forecasted temperatures and wind speed) are available only when Model Y has internet connectivity."

In my limited roadtrip experience, in warm or cold weather the Tesla Navigation system may not accurately factor in Climate Control energy usage when predicting overall energy usage.

OK, maybe that explains a little. I normally drive 65-70 when speed limit is 75. I guess the problem this segment was the speed limit was 80 so I would assume it is based on my driving 70-75mph. So you are saying my Tesla thinks I should drive 65 regardless of higher speed limits?

Last edited:
FWIW, there were mentions of EPA highway speed and EPA Wh/mile figures. For those not aware, the highest average speed in any of the EPA test cycles is only 48.4 mph.

I've pointed to some more info about EPA tests at Car battery: 340 miles. I drove 280. Came home with 5 miles left? before. From looking at the high speed tab of Detailed Test Information, not much time is spent at the max of 80 mph. Not even that much time is spent above 70 mph.

Reactions: theothertom
OK, maybe that explains a little. I normally drive 65-70 when speed limit is 75. I guess the problem this segment was the speed limit was 80 so I would assume it is based on my driving 70-75mph. So you are saying my Tesla thinks I should drive 65 regardless of higher speed limits?
As I understand, as stated in the Model Y Owner's manual, the Navigation System partially bases the estimated consumption on the vehicle's driving history. I.e. if you consistently drive 70 MPH but then change your driving style and drive 80 MPH the system does not recalculate consumption based on the new higher driving speed. In this use case A Better Route Planner would enable you to enter your average and maximum driving speed for a planned trip. ABRP might determine that one or more additional charging stops will be required.

Another strategy is to add 10% to 15% additional battery charge before starting a trip leg to bump up whatever arrival state of charge the Tesla Navigation system estimates while knowing that due to faster driving speed the actual arrival state of charge will be lower, close to the original arrival state of charge estimated. I encountered this recently while using a Supercharger on a trip. The Tesla charging system displayed a message that my Model Y had enough charge to reach my destination (but with only ~10% arrival state of charge). I was not comfortable with this arrival state of charge. I ignored this message and continued to charge and add an additional 10% while Supercharging.

Reactions: eevee-fan