Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla/SolarCity Merger Update: 3 Enormous Shareholders Could Decide Merger’s Fate -- The Motley Fool

Tesla/SolarCity Merger Update: 3 Enormous Shareholders Could Decide Merger’s Fate
These mutual fund companies hold big stakes in Tesla, and their ability to affect the outcome is magnified by whose shares won't be getting voted.

Travis Hoium
(TMFFlushDraw)
Oct 19, 2016 at 8:43AM
Yup I don't think they would even attempt the merger if it depended on the retail votes.
Flooded with bear articles, AND today's slow upward grind seems to be accelerating a bit. Interesting.
Hmmm, this reminds me of a few years ago. A lot of negativity, misunderstanding, low expectations...

Chanos tried really hard to bash BABA around $60, he said he shorted it, BABA's accounting is like Enron, etc. Look what happened to BABA in a few months, it's now above $100.

I am not saying Tesla will react the same way as BABA. I am saying Chanos gets wrong more often than right. I think he makes money through market manipulation instead of intelligent analysis. The credibility is extremely important for these manipulators, so when they say something, they can get the wolf pack to act together to move the stock. Once the Tesla story is fully unfold, this Chanos will completely lose his credibility. Some investors already know what he is about.

Please post any detailed talking points from Mr. Chanos CNBC interview – If these guys don’t provide detailed talking points then I’m tempted to label their comments as ‘garbage’ or hearsay. The last talking point I caught from Chanos a few weeks back was that Musk had commented that ‘SpaceX was ruling-out UFO’s as a cause of the rocket explosion’. Anyone that knows Musk, knows that is just Musk’s humor, yet Chanos was seriously citing that joke as evidence of the level of competence.

While I do not know, nor have I ever met Chanos, he does remind me of some of the folks I worked with: I worked as an IT professional in the financial services, (institutional investment), sector for roughly 10 years and know, on a personal level, many of the guest speakers featured on CNBC, (I still have relationships that I need to protect so I’m not going to be too direct). When I first began my research years ago on Tesla, I asked all the big name guys what they had found through their analysis on all the related topics, i.e. AGW, long-term fossil fuel supply/energy security etc. Not 1, had looked in to AGW, yet, all had dismissed the subject as “Bullsh*t” and TM as a loser endeavor – these guys fund the building of power plants and the pensions they manage depend on the returns - they should be experts on AGW! Another popular theme was to, ‘shoot the environmentalists’ for a long-term energy supply solution. In short, these big names are often poster boys for arrogance and didn’t learn much from the 08 crash, they still aren’t performing their due diligence, especially, on the macro issues and the best thing us regular folks can do is to force them to show their work. At best, the king (Chanos) is wearing a thong – just to leave you with a happy visual ;-)

My personal opinion (worth what you paid) is that while Chanos regurgitated the same ole same ole he did not appear to me to have the same conviction and passion about his position as the last time I saw him on.

I could understand that.
I pay attention to the opponents's views. Nothing in Chanos speech makes sense. He is just trying to deceive. Again, he shorts both SCTY and TSLA. If the merger is so bad for Tesla, why he strongly oppose the merger? He should welcome the merger and short more. Isn't it?

He said SolarCity is just a low tech installer, no value there. - Wrong. (Solar is tech intensive, automated production is tech intensive, SolarCity has a lot of patents, Buffalo factory, Solar is a huge future market). Chanos knows these by now, he just pretend he doesn't know.

He said Tesla will face intense competition in a few years. - Wrong. 90 million new vehicles are purchased globally every year. The real competition is who will get the market? ICEs or EVs? By the time model 3 is out, it will be the most compelling car on the market. ICEs don't have a chance. This I suspect Chanos genuinely doesn't understand.

You aren't with Questrade are you? I'm a fellow Canadian with Questrade and haven't figured out any of the voting stuff yet. Admittedly I haven't tried very hard.
Nope. TD Direct Investing here. I had to call the call center, and their workers mostly didn't seem to even know that a proxy vote was available until they talked to the backroom guys, where they eventually managed to find my proxy vote ID number.

Status
Not open for further replies.