Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elon Musk definitely makes some bad decisions from time to time. Like the autopilot blog he said he would post within ~12 hours and then blew off. Why set yourself up to fail like that?

You wouldn't consider one of his rockets exploding a slightly higher and immediate priority then?

But I agree in principle, Elon should stop announcing things he's going to do, just publish it when ready.

You wouldn't consider one of his rockets exploding a slightly higher and immediate priority then?
If he'd done what he said he'd do, the blog would have been on the website long before the Falcon 9 blew up.

Just to provide the facts:

- Musk tweeted at 8:25 am california time on the 31st that he would post the blog later that day. That means the deadline was no later than 12 pm on the 31st.
- The Falcon 9 blew up at 9:07 am Florida time, or 6:07 am California time on the 1st. At least 6 hours after the blog was supposed to be up.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Matias

But I agree in principle, Elon should stop announcing things he's going to do, just publish it when ready.

I think he is following rules for a good presentation:
  • Tell them about what are you *going* to tell them
  • Tell them what you were planning to tell them
  • Tell them about what you just have told them
He needs to work on shortening the break between bullet #1 and #2...

If he'd done what he said he'd do, the blog would have been on the website long before the Falcon 9 blew up.

Just to provide the facts:

- Musk tweeted at 8:25 am california time on the 31st that he would post the blog later that day. That means the deadline was no later than 12 pm on the 31st.
- The Falcon 9 blew up at 9:07 am Florida time, or 6:07 am California time on the 1st. At least 6 hours after the blog was supposed to be up.

Point taken, but no doubt he was working on it, was late and then had to just drop it.

He's a bugger for over-committing and not delivering on time, we all know that.

Thanks a lot for posting the above link to the article. Here is an interesting quote from the article:
'[...] and Wednesday’s regulatory filing showing he has put up an additional $489 million of his Tesla and SolarCity stock as collateral to secure personal borrowings. The pledged shares are stripped out of his total net worth calculation because they’re not immediately available to him. The borrowing is for personal liquidity; he doesn’t even accept the $37,584 minimum-wage salary Tesla is required to pay him.'

What could be the purpose of this money?
Positive: EM wants to add to his SC position again.
Negative: EM needs the money for SpaceX after the latest incident with the Facebook satellite destroyed?
Any thoughts?

Edit:
Any chance that these are the additional shares that have been added to shares available to short?

I think the article was poorly worded. The $489 million of Tesla stock isnt something he just put up recently, thats the collateral he has pledged for well over a year. The reason for the borrowing is that he has bought more Tesla stock in several previous Tesla financing rounds. Since he doesn't have cash (all his cash has been invested in Tesla/Solarcity/Spacex since 2008), he has had to borrow $489M over the years to finance his purchases of more Tesla and Solarcity stock. Most recently, he borrowed $65M more to buy the Solarcity bonds.

Option 4 is likely but if it happens , it will put even more clouds on Elons ability and will show that he's desperate.

To say something like this is to not understand the man. Or you're projecting yourself. I think both.

Desperation is not pragmatic. Elon Musk is arguably the most pragmatic individual on the planet. He's so pragmatic he's off the pragmatic scale. Desperation serves no pragmatic purpose. Elon looks at situations/problems from a first principle's view. *All* of this stuff you and some others are nervous and chattering about is nothing more than solvable questions. If you want to know how it ends, you should be looking at the SCTY merger and the questions swirling around it from a first principle's view. Granted, that'll be tough since many can't wrap their brains around being that pragmatic about money.

Last edited:
Anyone changed their mind on the merger deal after yesterday's report of scty's dire financial situation (debt/equity > 300%, $3billion in debt, 15 institutions passed by not buying its bonds)? This can sure cause some investors walk away supporting the deal, thus it becomes more likely to fall apart.

Your thoughts?

• Disagree
Reactions: Dwdnjck
Elon Musk definitely makes some bad decisions from time to time. Like the autopilot blog he said he would post within ~12 hours and then blew off. Why set yourself up to fail like that?

I'd hardly call that a failure or bad decision worth placing value on, but okay. If you pay attention to his interviews discussing impossible goals being continuously set and his position on that, there'd be no question why he does it. If he does it within his companies, rest assured he does it to himself as well because again, he's been very clear in interviews how he thinks about the situation. Fundamentally that needs to be understood. It might not be how you'd go through life, but it's how he goes through life. Once you can accept how he functions, then you can weigh the importance of investing or not investing with a clear mind, without questions, and therefore with certainty.

There's likely something else that occurred behind the scenes in his every day life that took time away from doing the blog. Cosmacelf thinks shareholders were panicked and contacting him all day. Or maybe he had IBS and couldn't concentrate. Who knows, but does it really matter in the scheme of things for a blog post?

Tesla stock just keeps falling, so bad!
Eh. It seems to be pretty reliably bouncing off $200 for the time being. Yesterday was the meat of the fall, I don't consider the ~75c we're down today to be much of a concern. That's normal intra-day drift for $TSLA, especially when shares available to short > 0. Once the shorts run out of ammo, it should start going back up again.

Thanks for posting.

The poster mentions pics on snapchat.

Could you find any pics that confirm this rumor?

I did not find any pics so far.

Unfortunately I don't. My anxiety got the better of me and I posted without verification. Even if the fire did happen, I'm more convinced now that it was due to substandard wiring, otherwise, the owner would've been on the news. Since no attention was drawn to it, it must've been from embarrassment.

To say something like this is to not understand the man. Or you're projecting yourself. I think both.

Desperation is not pragmatic. Elon Musk is arguably the most pragmatic individual on the planet. He's so pragmatic he's off the pragmatic scale. Desperation serves no pragmatic purpose. Elon looks at situations/problems from a first principle's view. *All* of this stuff you and some others are nervous and chattering about is nothing more than solvable questions. If you want to know how it ends, you should be looking at the SCTY merger and the questions swirling around it from a first principle's view. Granted, that'll be tough since many can't wrap their brains around being that pragmatic about money.
One can keep repeating what Elon says and apply anywhere. First principles are good to handle technology issues but valuing a company that you are a majority shareholder where 16 other prospects have not come even closer to the proposal, I am skeptical. If you have a reason to understand and share how Elon applies that logic for scty deal, that will ever very valuable rather than just repeating all Elon says is gold.

Reactions: maoing
Status
Not open for further replies.