Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Others already responded to this on potential retail interest, but I did want to caution on reported institutional ownership.

It likely has some double-counting due to the various sources that are queried to develop these numbers. On the other hand, some institutions (really small ones) may not file any reports so they aren't included.

Bloomberg is typically a little better, but not always. It currently reports 75% of outstanding shares are held by reporting institutions (so 111 million shares!). It also reports institutions as owning 99% of the float (which they are basically defining as non-Elon shares). Finally, it reports short interest of 27 million shares (or 23% of the float).

If Bloomberg is right, then retail owns roughly the short interest -- or 18% of the company.

I have a question about this first point. If this is the case, why is the total holding of all institution holders just 100M shares (or 67% of total float) shown on NASDAQ? Elon has about 21% of the 149M shares. Short interest as of 6/30 (to correspond with the instituion holdings) is about 21%. If the 67% for the aggregated outsider institution holdings includes shares sold short, that would mean retail investors have a collective of 100%-21%-(67%-21%)=33% of the whole company. Is this possible?

Reactions: Fallenone
Zero chance of this happening. He can't and will not do this for many reasons, the most superficial of them that company lawyers will not let him do this, as, given his insider status and insider knowledge, this will raise all sorts of red flags. The main purpose of the large Elon stake is maintaining control of the company, so he never ousted again as happened at PayPal. Lending his shares defeats this purpose. I am pretty sure that 0 of his shares are available for borrowing.

You make a number of very strange assumptions.
1) Why bring up PayPal? No comparison and not relevant to my post.
2) Show me a rule that says he can't.
3) Lending out shares would have nothing to do with insider knowledge.
4) Like this post if you agree there is a 0 percent chance of Elon being ousted. This is a ludicrous assumption on your part.

4) Like this post if you agree there is a 0 percent chance of Elon being ousted. This is a ludicrous assumption on your part.

The history of sustainable transport is full of bad acts. I believe one reason Elon resists having his ownership share diluted is to ward off any chance of this or other shenanigans happening. I agree that with current SH makeup it is a non-issue.

I think it's extremely unreasonable for anyone to criticize Elon for his "unusual financial moves". That article was originally click bait for a few people who were trying to do that.

Since when was it wrong to use unusual financial moves to establish an unusual company and unusual relationships? In my view, it would be more appropriate to refer to his strategy as INNOVATIVE moves.

I'm not sure why you disliked my post. My point was that Elon's margin loans are around 5% of his net worth, which is why the margin call issue that Cosmacelf was referring to is unlikely, IMO. I provided the FUDish article as the source of my 5% number.

Yeah, that would be great if they actually used Tesla Powerpacks. I clicked through to the article (and the article contains great links to RFPs and responses) and in two of the three big battery systems being proposed, they do NOT use Tesla Energy Powerpacks. The other one does not list the supplier. I don't have the time right now to do some more sleuthing, but it would be interesting to see if Tesla is being selected for ANY of the Aliso Canyon shortfall projects.

I'm not sure why you disliked my post. My point was that Elon's margin loans are around 5% of his net worth, which is why the margin call issue that Cosmacelf was referring to is unlikely, IMO. I provided the FUDish article as the source of my 5% number.
My dislike was about the article. Sorry about that. Read your post on my phone. I'll gladly undo it. :cool:

Reactions: Intl Professor

Puzzled at your "Dislike". Here is my responses to the numbered items in your post.
1) Because, as I explained in my post, Elon maintains huge stake in Tesla to ensure that he has control over the company. His goal of sustainable future depends on this and he is determined to ensure that he can't be ousted as he was at PayPall.
2) There is no such rule, and I did not claim that there is one. My conclusion is based on logical reasoning.
3) It would. Elon has inside knowledge on the host of issues. He could initiate lending before the important developments, say imminent profitability reporting, and then stop lending his shares triggering short squeeze. This would open him to serious accusations of insider trading. Just appearance of this potentially happening will ensure that Tesla legal department will be steadfast against him lending his shares to short sellers.
4) Well, no likes on your post so far. Two likes and one "Helpful" on mine so 3 to one in my favor... In all seriousness, this is just silly - I post here because of valuable opportunity to exchange information and ideas, not "vote for me" competition.

How many "dislikes" does it take here to get a troll banned (even for a few days)?

Similar to "how many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center...?"

None. Hopefully moderation is done on the basis of respect for civility of discourse. Frequently the inadequacy of the dislike button is confusing because it is not specific, as demonstrated here at least once today.

Last edited:
So anyone have any idea what the significance of this complete volume implosion is? Does it mean anything?

Part of the lack of volume has to do with trading in August. It's vacation season.

Another part of the low volume has to do with a feeling by longs that the story is going to be played out this year with 2nd half of year results and since we have weeks to wait and no reliable indications of results, it's simply a waiting game. Add the fact that the SCTY merger will not become a thing until the 4th quarter. News of the merger will move the stock, but news is lacking.

Then there's the reduced role of short-sellers. In previous months, with short interest as big as the shares held by non-institutional longs, trading by shorts often made up the majority of the trading for a day. Now the smart (and perhaps deepest pocket) shorts have closed their positions and they're smart enough not to re-enter now. So, we see far less short trading. You still have the Mark Spiegel types who are short until they are forced to cover and go broke, but they're confounded, cost of borrowing TSLA has gone way up, and they're not adding to their positions. They're just sitting on those positions, with a little mischief thrown in when volume is so low they can manipulate the SP lower. Seriously, in previous months, TSLA trading was more affected by what the shorts were doing than what the longs were doing.

You also see growing institutional ownership and by default you have shrinking small-trader ownership. Again, institutions are holding their positions, and waiting for 2nd half results.

Finally, you have a well-defined trading range of 220 to 230 at the moment, with 220 being a strong support level and 230 being a weaker resistance level, but a resistance level all the same. Until real news impacts TSLA, there are little expectations that the stock is going to zoom up or plummet down. We are in a waiting game and volume supports this position.

Part of the lack of volume has to do with trading in August. It's vacation season.

Another part of the low volume has to do with a feeling by longs that the story is going to be played out this year with 2nd half of year results and since we have weeks to wait and no reliable indications of results, it's simply a waiting game. Add the fact that the SCTY merger will not become a thing until the 4th quarter. News of the merger will move the stock, but news is lacking.

Then there's the reduced role of short-sellers. In previous months, with short interest as big as the shares held by non-institutional longs, trading by shorts often made up the majority of the trading for a day. Now the smart (and perhaps deepest pocket) shorts have closed their positions and they're smart enough not to re-enter now. So, we see far less short trading. You still have the Mark Spiegel types who are short until they are forced to cover and go broke, but they're confounded, cost of borrowing TSLA has gone way up, and they're not adding to their positions. They're just sitting on those positions, with a little mischief thrown in when volume is so low they can manipulate the SP lower. Seriously, in previous months, TSLA trading was more affected by what the shorts were doing than what the longs were doing.

You also see growing institutional ownership and by default you have shrinking small-trader ownership. Again, institutions are holding their positions, and waiting for 2nd half results.

Finally, you have a well-defined trading range of 220 to 230 at the moment, with 220 being a strong support level and 230 being a weaker resistance level, but a resistance level all the same. Until real news impacts TSLA, there are little expectations that the stock is going to zoom up or plummet down. We are in a waiting game and volume supports this position.

Just one short comment in attempt to provide some color on remaining short sellers: "Deer in headlights"

• Funny
Reactions: SunCatcher
To note on @MitchJi conclusion that recalling shares is "illegal", I do not understand what it is based on. Before I started monitoring the shares available to short and the interest using my Fidelity account, I needed to acknowledge the securities lending agreement which as far as I recall included statement that securities can be recalled by FMR for any reason at any time. This contradicts the MitchJi conclusion that it is "illegal" to recall shares for voting.
Corrected below, it was based on what I was told by TD Ameritrade's corporate governance.
Edit: The Following is Exagerated!
I believe that I can officially declare that there won't be a squeeze triggered by shorts being forced to return their shares due to the merger.

Edit: The Following is Correct.
Background it's obvious to me that the major institutions are buying shares so that they can vote without calling in their shares.

Edit: The Following is Incorrect!
That made me think that this might be a legal requirement, so I called TD Ameritrade and asked "if I sell Tesla short, and the owner of the shares wants them returned to vote on the merger, can the shares I sold short be legally recalled?"

The man I talked to checked with me, to be sure he understood my question, then put me on hold while he checked with corporate governance. When he returned to the line he said "that's impossible".

I said "legally impossible"?

He said "yes".
I did some further research and TD Ameritrade's corporate governance representative was incorrect:
Selling Short-Fidelity
Any stock can theoretically be sold short, as long as it can be borrowed. Availability, or how easy it will be for your broker to locate shares, should be an important part of your decision. Not only could it impact the interest rate you may have to pay on your “loan,” shorting hard to borrow stocks increases the likelihood that you will be bought in. In the case of a buy in, you’re forced to cover your short if the lender pulls back the shares that your broker is borrowing, which makes those shares unavailable.
But I still believe that the major institutions are buying shares so that they can vote without calling in their shares. One reason I believe that is Fidelity told @vgrinshpun that they don't intend to call in shares in order to vote.

If their funds own one million shares and they have loaned out 500k shares they need to obtain 500k shares to vote the one million votes. Their are four options (or combinations of options) available to obtain the 500k shares:
1. They can purchase shares, which they have been doing.
WOW! (Take #2). Price T. Rowe upped their stake in TSLA by 42.6%, or 3,139,231 shares! So just five largest institutional shareowners collectively increased their TSLA position in Q2 by 9.5M shares!
2. They can stop loaning out more shares which they have also been doing. They are buying shares, the short interest is declining and they have 0 shares available. Why else would that happen?
Fidelity:
Lend TSLA: 8.5%
Short TSLA: 16.5%, 0 shares available to short

Lend SCTY: 29.5%
Short SCTY: 52.0%, 0 shares available to short
3. They could try to do some trading (float?) which obviously would not be sufficient.

4. They could call in shares which would probably not work completely either, because a substantial portion of their clients would not be able to cover.

Background information:
Tesla Motors, Inc. (TSLA) Short Interest
Code:
Settlement    Short      Avg Daily    Days To Cover
Date         Interest    Share
                         Volume
7/29/2016   26,963,483   3,240,977   8.319554
7/15/2016   29,325,178   4,179,943   7.015688
6/30/2016   30,951,082   7,170,311   4.316561
6/15/2016   28,641,261   3,897,515   7.348595
The SP easily handled a 3 million share reduction in short interest even with the added pressure of the large institutional accumulations. And I believe it's safe to assume that the major institutions will not be calling in shares to vote. Two things that could have and impact on this is the current when the record date is announced, an the number of days between the announcement and the record date. Unless there are ten million or more shares held by smaller institutions, and the announcement record date window is two weeks or less I think its safe to assume that any recall to vote impact on the SP will be minor.

OTOH between now and the record date any catalysts could produce a bigger than expected result, possibly even a squeeze, due to the fact that the number of shares available to purchase is very low. But I believe that due to Tesla's expected high OpEx and CapEx plus the unfounded skepticism surrounding the M3 ramp and the SCTY merger reduce the chances of a large surge, and make the chances of a substantial squeeze very unlikely.

After the record date I believe (particularly if the SP is up) that the institutions will sell the shares that were purchased in order to vote, possibly making just before the record date a good time to buy puts.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
None. Hopefully moderation is done on the basis of respect for civility of discourse. Frequently the inadequacy of the dislike button is confusing because it is not specific, as demonstrated here at least once today.

Truly, there needs to be more ways to express your feelings. 5 ways to say you have positive feelings about something: like, love, found it informative, found it funny, found it helpful. only one negative. It would help discourse if we had "dislike", "dislike the message, but your post is ok", "I think you are a deliberate troll attempting to disrupt the fragile community". those 3 for a start.

Truly, there needs to be more ways to express your feelings. 5 ways to say you have positive feelings about something: like, love, found it informative, found it funny, found it helpful. only one negative. It would help discourse if we had "dislike", "dislike the message, but your post is ok", "I think you are a deliberate troll attempting to disrupt the fragile community". those 3 for a start.
Who you calling "fragile"? o_O "I think you are a deliberate troll attempting to disrupt our stouthearted community" :D

Status
Not open for further replies.