Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not a huge problem. It incentivises the country to keep jobs in-country and not ship to Asia. Plus if there are jobs, people can work and pay for the higher electric bills at home, install LEDs and other things maybe some solar panels to offset. America could offer similar savings to businesses and put the burden on the homeowner who uses a "lot" of power, as they do in the tiered-rate plans of California. Would it go over well in the rust belt? Not really. But in the wealthy zones, those using 3000 kWh a month may as well pay more for the amounts over normal homes. The USA does have cheap power in Texas and some industries have moved there. Not very expensive elsewhere either - such as PA where business and industry is under $.10-.11/kWh in some areas. Ohio similar.
Sure! Just correcting you when you said the high prices in Germany were "due to prevalence of renewables", which they aren't. I spent a while looking into this one. The anti-renewable FUDsters really like to blame residential electricity prices in Germany on renewables (which is probably where you got that impression, there's a *lot* of propaganda out there), and it looks like it's not really true.

What is the price of electricity per-kWh there? That is a factor in Europe, where in Germany - residents are charged appx. .30/kWh USD due to the prevalence of Renewables. Fuel prices are a factor but only if the electricity is actually cheaper per-mile.

Price per kWh is irrelevant in Korea. It costs $150 to get a tank of premium fuel and there is a yearly tax based on engine capacity.

See, the thing is, both can be true. SolarCity had a bunch of problems as an independent company -- including very high cost of sales. The merger actually could eliminate a bunch of the problems with SolarCity, most obviously the sales costs. Merger synergies are real!

Just because your boat needs to be bailed out doesn't mean it isn't a valuable boat. It just has a hole which needs to be repaired.

You need to say the word. Layoffs. And location consolidation. You can easily house Solar sales people in Tesla sales/service center locations. Synergies of HQ and sales forces is necessary to contain costs at SCTY. Tesla has a bunch of young energetic 12-15 hour a day workers who like working for "a name" and would probably handle both DS activities and answer questions on solar products simultaneously. Productivity goes up. Labor is expensive.

Why? SCTY can be tossed and TSLA have less risk due to a non-merger. Don't be surprised if they vote no. The reason they would vote yes is to help Tesla garner the cash flow from the solar leases. There seems to be interest in this idea of a no-vote due to the price of the LEAP options on SCTY. Still pricey even down in the teens for puts. If you are "for sure" that the merger goes through @ $26/pps, then you can sell puts on SCTY OTM and presumably make good cash on that. Bunch of 2018 puts for teens and below are still trading daily.
If they disagree with this move, the biggest move that requires voting, they would have voted by selling their shares away.

Reactions: MitchJi
What is the price of electricity per-kWh there? That is a factor in Europe, where in Germany - residents are charged appx. .30/kWh USD due to the prevalence of Renewables. Fuel prices are a factor but only if the electricity is actually cheaper per-mile.
1100 won to the dollar.
- Electric Rates Calculation | KEPCO -

Depends on how much you use. So if you use 300 kWh/month, it would be 25 cents each. Over 500, 64 cents. So, YMMV, and I suspect the bigger issue will be whether or not the utility regulations favor rates that reduce dependency on oil through TOU or separate metering.

• Helpful
Reactions: MikeC and austinEV
Out of curiosity, how long after AP 1.0 hardware was in the cars did people find out? And how much detail on future capability of it was actually known before software upgrade? Was it officially announced way before the actual software was released which I believe I was almost a year later?

I haven't been around Tesla circuits at the time so missed out on all the fun :) Getting my first S delivered next week!

People noticed AP hardware immediately, because of camera and extra ultrasound sensors.

Out of curiosity, how long after AP 1.0 hardware was in the cars did people find out? And how much detail on future capability of it was actually known before software upgrade? Was it officially announced way before the actual software was released which I believe I was almost a year later?

I haven't been around Tesla circuits at the time so missed out on all the fun :) Getting my first S delivered next week!
I can recall reports of the new, unknown, hardware showing up on deliveries that occurred shortly after a ~2 week shutdown at the factory. The shutdown was planned, took a little longer than expected, and was supposed just to retool and accelerate production rate. As word was getting out about the new hardware, there was lots discussion/guesses; but the focus was shortly overtaken by the upcoming release of the "D".

• Informative
Reactions: SunCatcher
Price per kWh is irrelevant in Korea. It costs $150 to get a tank of premium fuel and there is a yearly tax based on engine capacity.

It is never irrelevant. If electricity is .50/kWh USD - then refueling an 90 kWh with 100+ kWh (charging losses) from the grid is $50 USD. It is a factor. Depending on the driving needs of the guy in the Mercedes S @ $8.00 - are they factoring in whether the costs are eaten by their employer and is it a leased vehicle like we have in the USA? Are employers in S. Korea going to go "gung ho" (sorry, wrong country) and get employees into EVs? Are they doing it now and is there already market growth visibility?

I want to see how Korea does with the likes of the Soul EV and the take-rate among private buyers. Japan has a ton of CHAdeMO chargers out there but what is the Tesla current sales rates in Japan? Nissan has sold a lot of consumer level Nissan Leafs there. What will the Leaf 2.0 look like price-wise in Japan versus an imported Model 3? Lots of questions...

They do have this going for them:
Seoul, South Korea Offers Up To $24,825 In Electric Car Incentives
EV Sales: South Korea

Looks like Tesla could sell 100+ S + X per month there in S. Korea. Maybe they have already shipped initial lots of cars to the country?

Reactions: drinkerofkoolaid
Merger vote failures indicate a lack of stockholder support for management, which usually leads to short-term stock drops (unless it means that management will be replaced by better management). So normally you would not buy stock in order to vote against management, unless there was a competing management team in the wings -- an actual proxy fight. Haven't seen one of those in decades. And I think given Elon Musk, that's pretty much impossible with Tesla or SolarCity.

There's actually a herding issue when it comes to voting stock. Suppose you're a stockholder who's opposed to the merger. If you think you have decent chances of voting the merger down, you might keep your stock and vote it. But if it looks like everyone else is going to vote for the merger, you will pre-emptively get out of the stock; no point in making a "protest vote".

There's a general presumption that most stockholders will vote for management, and more so in a stock where the CEO, Musk, has a bit of an aura around him.

IIRC, we already have a gung-ho positive statement in favor of the merger from the manager of the mutual fund with the second-largest holdings (Fidelity OTC Portfolio), and cautiously positive statements by multiple other large holders. A bunch of them already own SCTY stock.

Now suppose you're a big holder who opposes the merger. Do you really think it'll be voted down? I think you conclude that the merger will pass with or without you, so you sell the stock. (A bunch of TSLA was sold immediately on the initial announcement of the merger.)

Because of this herding behavior, you don't usually get close votes on mergers. Usually they're massively in favor of management. Occasionally they're massively against management (if you are a supporter of the merger but you figure out that it will probably fail, then *you* sell the stock).

The SEC or other regulators could reject the merger, of course.

1100 won to the dollar.
- Electric Rates Calculation | KEPCO -

Depends on how much you use. So if you use 300 kWh/month, it would be 25 cents each. Over 500, 64 cents. So, YMMV, and I suspect the bigger issue will be whether or not the utility regulations favor rates that reduce dependency on oil through TOU or separate metering.

The link I gave above indicated a pretty healthy EV subsidy there. I think the prevalence will be small EVs which can get the most incentive for the cost of the vehicle (ie. Soul EV, whatever) and then they somehow implement workplace-located charging (workplaces get additional subsidies) rather than home charging at this larger price. .64/kWh is what you would end up paying if you were self-charging at home daily to keep an EV filled for commuting purposes on a daily basis. And with this scenario, car-pooling is highly desirable (not only for gas cost savings and sharing the costs among friends/co-workers) but the same may be found with EVs. The best solution would be an employer sponsored charging station, car-pooling incentives and the purchase incentives for the car-owner. Hmm - how scalable is such an incentive policy - into the tens of thousands? Millions? Do they have enough fiscal budget to scale it?

Reactions: CatB
It is never irrelevant. If electricity is .50/kWh USD - then refueling an 90 kWh with 100+ kWh (charging losses) from the grid is $50 USD. It is a factor. Depending on the driving needs of the guy in the Mercedes S @ $8.00 - are they factoring in whether the costs are eaten by their employer and is it a leased vehicle like we have in the USA? Are employers in S. Korea going to go "gung ho" (sorry, wrong country) and get employees into EVs? Are they doing it now and is there already market growth visibility?

I want to see how Korea does with the likes of the Soul EV and the take-rate among private buyers. Japan has a ton of CHAdeMO chargers out there but what is the Tesla current sales rates in Japan? Nissan has sold a lot of consumer level Nissan Leafs there. What will the Leaf 2.0 look like price-wise in Japan versus an imported Model 3? Lots of questions...

Looks like Tesla could sell 100+ S + X per month there in S. Korea. Maybe they have already shipped initial lots of cars to the country?

Yeah there's a big push towards EV's in Korea. Since the country has no oil and lots of air pollution there is a big push away from oil. All the buses and taxis run on CNG as well as a lot of private cars. Hyundai just released an all electric vehicle the IONIQ in Korea (100 mile range for 40k).

Even at .50/kw that's 3 times cheaper than filling a car with gas in Korea. Korea is a much different market from Japan. Japan doesn't buy large cars while Korea does.
Last month there were 466 Mercedes S-Classes sold in all of Germany. Last month there were over 1300 S-Classes sold in Korea. Tesla could easily sell 500+ Model S/X per month in Korea.

This Is How Elon Musk Motivates The Tesla Team (Video)

One example of this would be the groundbreaking Tesla Model 3. Dan Niles, co-founder of AlphaOne Capital Partners points to the Model 3 as an object of global desire: “Whether Musk hits 500,000 cars a year doesn’t really matter if he has first mover advantage and produces a car that, much like the iPhone, has people saying, ‘That one, that’s the car that I want.’” The game-changing Model 3 highlights the talented team behind Musk at Tesla.

We're talking about ASP ~$100k S and X here? Price of electricity matters, whether $$0.1/kWh or $2/kWh, for the buyers in this segment? Really?

• Love
Reactions: MitchJi
The link I gave above indicated a pretty healthy EV subsidy there. I think the prevalence will be small EVs which can get the most incentive for the cost of the vehicle (ie. Soul EV, whatever) and then they somehow implement workplace-located charging (workplaces get additional subsidies) rather than home charging at this larger price. .64/kWh is what you would end up paying if you were self-charging at home daily to keep an EV filled for commuting purposes on a daily basis. And with this scenario, car-pooling is highly desirable (not only for gas cost savings and sharing the costs among friends/co-workers) but the same may be found with EVs. The best solution would be an employer sponsored charging station, car-pooling incentives and the purchase incentives for the car-owner. Hmm - how scalable is such an incentive policy - into the tens of thousands? Millions? Do they have enough fiscal budget to scale it?

It's a different market from the states. No one is commuting long distances in Korea. Nobody car pools in the country and most employers don't have parking for workers. There is a large enough budget for EV incentives since the gasoline tax is $5 out of the $8/gallon.

We are certainly not in agreement on this. We are approaching, IMO, a time when production *might* exceed demand, especially for highest margin vehicles.
TM indicates that the harnesses are place and/or the hardware is in place and it will be 2017 before the software is released and that sets the expectation
I agree with you that AP2 is a demand lever that Tesla may need to pull next year but also with Kruggerand that AP2 shouldn't come quickly. Musk says at least a billion miles to get to "non-beta" AP. That's about six months away. But I suspect Tesla will also want that billion miles with the new HW+SW running in the background before they allow the Level 3-4 activation. I can't see non-beta AP before May 2017 and then another year at least before full level 4 AP. It just takes that long to collect the necessary data.
They've been stumbling in China. Fixing those issues would be a straightforward demand lever for next year IMO.

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
We're talking about ASP ~$100k S and X here? Price of electricity matters, whether $$0.1/kWh or $2/kWh, for the buyers in this segment? Really?
My MS uses about 8k+ kWh a year, and my total electric bill is north of 25k. If electricity were anywhere above even $0.30/kWh, I would absolutely either sell the MS or install enough solar to satisfy all my electric needs.

It's a different market from the states. No one is commuting long distances in Korea. Nobody car pools in the country and most employers don't have parking for workers. There is a large enough budget for EV incentives since the gasoline tax is $5 out of the $8/gallon.

Since you are knowledgeable about S. Korea: How many car buyers live in apartments vs. homes? That could influence, how many can afford home charging for their electric cars. My guess is, the case is similar to Hong Kong's. So, Tesla will first need to install a few super chargers so people can charge somewhere.

Also, any free link for the S. Korean auto sales data?

Status
Not open for further replies.