Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure, this timing seems unprecedented. Here's the last several:

Q1 16: Monday, April 4
Q4 15: Sunday morning, Jan 3
Q3 15: Friday, Oct 2
Q2 15: Thursday, July 2
Q1 15: Friday, April 2

I don't think they've ever done a next day. I also don't think they've done 5 days or announce right before a holiday. So, who knows?

Hahaha, I just looked up the same numbers to show this! :)

But yes, they don't count whole weeks, so theoretically they could announce it tomorrow pre-market. But I don't think that will happen, my guess is Saturday the 2nd.

Reactions: FredTMC
So with all the talk about the merger, there was one piece missing in Tesla's circle of creation- the inverter for the solar panel. I think now that they are designing their own inverter in house for the Model 3 (Tesla Model 3 exclusive leaked specs: 300kW+ inverter architecture putting its power capacity near Model S), they will/are making their own for the panels, completing the circle.

this.

I think this is the circle - generation, storage and use. Batteries, inverters and software are key components for each and Tesla + SCTY really is a leader together.

Not sure, this timing seems unprecedented. Here's the last several:

Q1 16: Monday, April 4
Q4 15: Sunday morning, Jan 3
Q3 15: Friday, Oct 2
Q2 15: Thursday, July 2
Q1 15: Friday, April 2

I don't think they've ever done a next day. I also don't think they've done 5 days or announce right before a holiday. So, who knows?

From a market "shock and awe" standpoint, I think the absolute best time to release delivery results is Tuesday July 5th pre market.

I'm fine with tesla taking these two extra days to release the results. If they were to release the results over the holiday weekend, that would give the FUD crowd too much time to start spewing garbage.

Also, if they have a decent count of deliveries by pre-market tomorrow, I'd be okay with that too... Catch more shorts flat footed.

Bottom line for shorts is that you have 45min more to cover your position today. If not, you're at risk of Q2 delivery announcement before the open tomorrow. No probable but certainly possible.

I'm expecting a beat (i.e. Over 17k deliveries)

Disclosure: long since 2012

I'm fine with tesla taking these two extra days to release the results. If they were to release the results over the holiday weekend, that would give the FUD crowd too much time to start spewing garbage.

If released over the weekend, that could lead to chaotic trading of Tesla shares in foreign markets on Monday. I rather suspect that Tesla will not allow that situation.

Hypothetically, if Tesla agrees to do a swap/merger/ and agrees to acquire all SolarCity stock for $28, what happens to the stock, given all of the shares sold short? Wouldn't the stock see jump well above $28 due to all those short the stock being forced to cover?

Something I noticed today. SolarCity is now on a list of stocks with significantly elevated margin requirements. This might be very significant.

Hypothetically, if Tesla agrees to do a swap/merger/ and agrees to acquire all SolarCity stock for $28, what happens to the stock, given all of the shares sold short? Wouldn't the stock see jump well above $28 due to all those short the stock being forced to cover?

Something I noticed today. SolarCity is now on a list of stocks with significantly elevated margin requirements. This might be very significant.

Best I can tell if you are short 1 share of SCTY at the time of the merger and the terms of merger are to swap 0.1 share of TSLA stock for every 1 share of SCTY then after the transaction you would be short 0.1 share of TSLA.

Very interesting. Please explain.

Not sure what else to add.

If you own 1 share of SCTY, you now own 0.1 share of TSLA.
If you are short 1 share of SCTY, you now are short 0.1 share of TSLA and need to purchase 0.1 share of TSLA to cover.

*Note - the ratio of 1 to 0.1 is just for demo purpose. I have no clue what the final ratio will be if it goes through.

Mike

Reactions: dhrivnak and Johan

If you own 1 share of SCTY, you now own 0.1 share of TSLA.
If you are short 1 share of SCTY, you now are short 0.1 share of TSLA and need to purchase 0.1 share of TSLA to cover.

*Note - the ratio of 1 to 0.1 is just for demo purpose. I have no clue what the final ratio will be if it goes through.

Mike

Wouldn't this temporarily cause SolarCity's stock to see a massive rise, due to margin requirements, and also cause Tesla's stock to also see a massive rise due to a variety of factors?

Reactions: Johan

You're more screwed being short TSLA than you were being short SCTY :)

And you'll be short more or less the same amount of $$$, just in a different equity.

It's not obvious that someone being short SCTY wants to be short TSLA. Therefore I predict that when we get final confirmation that the deal is going through we will see a lot of short covering in SCTY. But at this point the SCTY and TSLA stock prices will be in effect tied by the conversion ratio agreed upon and they will definitely move (up) together in a lock step fashion. I think this could be a bonus effect to the merger and a dynamic Elon et. al. have calculated.

I think the current rising short interest in SCTY are people betting on the deal falling through (not happening), with a consequent drop in SCTY price. I personally think the probability of the deal happening is near 100% and that people initiating short positions in SCTY now are mad.

Well since tomorrow is absolute last day to cover, yes probably Green day

But, TSLA IQ (situational awareness) of shorts is "below avg" some may not realize what's coming (I.e, Q2 announcement on deliveries)

I hope when Tesla announces deliveries this weekend with markets closed that will be the equivalent of seeing the train coming but unable to get off the tracks.

That's 4 green days this week folks.
Will we go 5/5 tomorrow?

Stay tuned!

Today was a very boring day (after amateur hour), I guess tomorrow will be kind of the same, but only with higher volumes.

My guess is that it will close slightly lower at around $210-$211. But I like to be pessimistic, so I can be more often surprised! :)

But what I am really(!) interested in, is what will happen next week?! Will there be a beat? And if yes, will the market respond positively?

We had a big green, little green, big green, little green. Let's hope the pattern continues and we get another big green tomorrow.

Assuming no announcement tomorrow, stock price movement tomorrow will be nothing at all compared to movement once they announce Q2 deliveries.

I don't really care much at all about pre announcement moves tomorrow.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler and VanE
Status
Not open for further replies.