Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The "unpainting" oneself from a corner explanation of some Tesla behaviors

Every now and then Tesla makes a statement in order to counter a threat, but that statement may not serve Tesla in the long run, and some reversal is necessary.

As a case in point, I was one of the doubters who stated that Tesla would never produce a 70kwh Model X. Quite simply, for a premium vehicle, 219 miles range was simply too little (I base this statement on my 50 state drive in a 240 mile range Model S last summer). The sweet spot for an entry-level premium vehicle is about 240 miles with the current supercharger level of development in most parts of the country. When critics called the X a $130,000 vehicle, Musk countered that the X would only be about $5,000 more than a comparable Model S, and a 70kwh version of Model X would be offered. Boom, the $130,000 X criticism vanished. To extricate Tesla from this corner it painted itself into (too low a range for a premium vehicle), Tesla invented a 75kwh battery, which brings X into the sweet spot for a min range.

Now look at the 1Q16 ER, when Tesla was trading below $150/share. To deal with fears that Tesla needed another capital raise and the environment was unsuitable for a capital raise, Musk laid out the scenario of Tesla generating enough funds internally to fund the Model 3 program. This was, in fact, a workable (but perhaps not optimal) plan. Investors liked this explanation and a self-funding approach became the expectation. TSLA reversed its slide and shot to over 200. I agree with Julian that Musk was likely NOT surprised by Model 3 demand. Musk very early started fishing for an explanation to extricate Tesla from limiting itself to a self-financing approach. Yes, Tesla could self-finance Model 3 intro, but was this the correct approach? Remember when one of the TV networks did a poll and 12,000 people responded that they would like to order a Model 3? Musk replied that he might have to rethink Model 3 production planning. That was a strong clue about where Musk wanted to go. Then when hundreds of thousands of Model 3 deposits came in, Musk repeated the statement that Tesla needed to rethink the production plans for Model 3. There's no guarantee that Tesla will raise capital by the end of summer, but I think it's likely, considering the steps that Elon has taken to justify a reversal of the self-funding-only approach.

I completely agree. Get one high volume Model3 line going first at Fremont. Work out the kinks before starting production on a second line outside of Fremont

That being said, tesla may announce a second factory "location" at anytime.
I completely disagree with both of you on getting one production line going first. The demand is huge, no question about it. They need to start a second or even 3rd factory ASAP to be able to meet the demand, there is no need to wait for line 1 completion. They have worked through the kinks with model S and X lines, and 3 is much simpler. The only question in my mind is "When?" As i want to time my trade before that happens. I also think a favorable capital raise will cause the stock to pop, as investors will shift focus onto how many cars can be produced a year with those new factories, and the billions in model 3 revenues that will be coming in. 400k cars in 2 weeks and counting is an incredible leverage tesla will use to negotiate new capital and factories.
My short term guess is they will not announce any deal until Earning call, then the numbers will look bad but the announcements/future plan would save the day. If they had nothing to announce and the stock would tank, i would double down then. Staying on the sideline for now.

Reactions: TSLAopt and lango
I completely disagree with both of you on getting one production line going first. The demand is huge, no question about it. They need to start a second or even 3rd factory ASAP to be able to meet the demand, there is no need to wait for line 1 completion. They have worked through the kinks with model S and X lines, and 3 is much simpler. The only question in my mind is "When?" As i want to time my trade before that happens. I also think a favorable capital raise will cause the stock to pop, as investors will shift focus onto how many cars can be produced a year with those new factories, and the billions in model 3 revenues that will be coming in. 400k cars in 2 weeks and counting is an incredible leverage tesla will use to negotiate new capital and factories.
My short term guess is they will not announce any deal until Earning call, then the numbers will look bad but the announcements/future plan would save the day. If they had nothing to announce and the stock would tank, i would double down then. Staying on the sideline for now.

I completely agree. Get one high volume Model3 line going first at Fremont. Work out the kinks before starting production on a second line outside of Fremont

That being said, tesla may announce a second factory "location" at anytime.

Elon does not think small , and 400,000 reservations took even him slightly off guard,
Because he was thinking small. This event gives him the backing to think
Huge again. He may well leap frog all the small steps and go multiple lines and factories.
It will be amusing to see how he tackles this complex task. It's a defining moment.

Reactions: TSLAopt
Thank you.

You make a strong point regards the hidden back-fee. It is something I also considered to explain.

@jhm - Yes it is possible to get dealers to agree to push OTA updates if you pay them the profits they would have received from dragging the customer in and hooking their car up to a computer for hours at the dealership. The customer ends up paying for this in the price of cars and parts or the shareholders pay for it in reduced dividends. Rinse and repeat for much more serious things like vehicle inspection - automate that OTA and the dealers will want their lost vehicle inspection fees reimbursed or just flat refuse to play.

Tesla does not need to extract this value at some middleman step and can focus value on cars and service the customer experiences. This by the way is the essence of the L.E.A.N. Protocol for those familiar with manufacturing: Basically do things at every process step that add value that customers would agree to pay you for doing and not things they would rather not pay for given the choice. The cost of TV advertising is value that most customers would be glad to receive in the form of upgraded seat materials or just a straight discount on their cars rather than their money paying for the ads for example. Advantage non advertiser with a better and or cheaper product.

The truth. Most people seem to view the world through a filter of optimism and pessimism and assume the truth lies in the middle. I don't operate like that, neither does Elon and neither does the truth.

"Musk: Optimism, pessimism, f**k that; we’re going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I’m hell-bent on making it work." Now 0-for-3, SpaceX’s Elon Musk Vows to Make Orbit

1+1=2

2 is not the most optimistic outcome, 2 is the truth but when calculations get complex and difficult to follow there is a very strong societal tendency to believe that on balance the answer ought to be 1.5. 1 being insanely pessimistic and 2 being insanely optimistic.

The future is NOT a mystery and the fact that with vanishingly rare exception people view the future as ever diverging chaotic randomness only serves to guarantee that it isn't random precisely because the average of mass optimism and pessimism about the future is a known quantum that defines no surprise and the socioeconomic response to surprise vs that baseline is absolutely predictable.

I look for trading advantage and Elon builds competitive advantage in business on the margins between 1.5 and 2 knowing that people will expect 1.5 and that the 2.0 will definitely keep showing up and shocking everyone by degrees if you just keep executing 1 + 1.

1.5 is a true phychological fact.
2.0 is the objective truth, not optimism or pessimism or anywhere on the psychological scale - actually in complex equations involving the behaviour of mass quantities of people arranged in societies, markets and large corporations the fact of 1.5 becomes a known datapoint for input into the equation that allows 2.0 to be calculated and arrived at with extreme precision.

@Krugerrand

The Gigafactory is no reaction to surprising circumstances and I don't believe Elon is counting himself included when he said nobody at Tesla expected the response to the Model 3.

Kurt Kelty (Tesla battery VP) was fully versed in the Gigafactory in 2011. Look it up in YouTube where he presented Tesla's Gigafactory plans at a Panasonic conference complete with recycling etc.

Regards Elon, my default assumption is that if I can figure something out from first principles then the same truth is available to him with far better access to axioms and he most likely figured it out first if not years ago. There is plenty of evidence that this is true. 50% of global new car production by 2025, Apple valuation by 2025, Non-autonomous vehicles will have sentimental value like a horse etc etc. In general though Elon is quite restrained about shoving the truth down people's throats before they are ready to hear it and his restraint has got bolder with maturity. This is not because he does not get what I get, that would be to insult his intelligence. No it is because the element of surprise vs competitors and detractors that willfully won't get it through their skulls is a profound competitive advantage. Why should he help them more than he already has?

@DaveT
@Papafox

The point of going through all of this comes back to short term trading like this:

Nothing surprising has happened to Tesla with the Model 3. It is no surprise to me and that is a fact I can prove going back at least two years when I started describing pent up demand, the point of establishing a global footprint for the Model 3 before Model S US sales had even got the company into the black and the direct effects of a million+ Model 3 reservations on auto market demand before a single Mode 3 rolls off the lines.

I don't have the arrogance to presume I know anything Elon did not know first about this space and his own company in it. If I could see this clearly in 2014 he was planning for it in 2004, explained it in 2006 and to suggest he was not clear on every major detail by 2010 would be to do him a disservice.
I for one have often said that this battle was predictably over bar the shouting when Musk & Tesla survived 2008 and GM did not.

So this means what? It means that the path to CapEx for a million+ Model 3 production (more accurately the path to meet whatever demand showed up with a safe margin for demand attrition) has been baked in for years. As Dairnuid said recently the reservations allow them to invest with confidence - but of course the plan to launch reservations like this was the plan to obtain the reservations to deliver the confidence to invest.

Bottom line:

There won't be a knee jerk capital raise off the back of surprising reservation numbers because the least unprepared and surprised man in the room by a decade is Elon Musk.

The 1.5 of it all will absolutely expect this anyway - poor surprised Tesla will need to raise cash blah blah blah - and the stock will slide.

Guys, they need to know the steady state run-rate of M3 demand before picking the level of investment they need to commit to, a few weeks of spiky data is not good enough and rushing to the stock market for a dilutive raise is completely daft compared with allowing offers to come forward from Nations and other potential non-dilutive funding sources.

The 2.0 of it all will deliver a 25% stock gain plus overshoot in 2H. If they don't raise cash and thereby defeat this thesis in 1H 2016 then the 2H prognosis is the closest thing to a guarantee that the stock market has offered to investors that get the 2.0 of it all in a hundred years.

Julian Cox

Amazing , finally warming up.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Julian Cox
Yeah, I think they need to start planning and developing new factories as early as possible, but they can't rush it either and they have to think it through and all that.

There are additional reasons for doing multiple factories early as possible, two of them is not that obvious and risk reducing in a pretty big way. The biggest innovation risk for Tesla is autonomous EV and a breakthrough in batteries and if that comes from another source first than their own team. They got the lead currently in autonomous EV but it can very well happen that it will come an AI algorithm or other approach to the problem and they are not behind it. Same with battery tech. Now, the interesting part is that the larger they are, the less this risk is because whoever does the breakthrough has a big opportunity cost by not licensing their tech to Tesla. Also if they do not choose to enable the tech to Tesla, the larger Tesla is the more time Tesla has to solve this problem themselves.

My prediction is that the capital raise (loan, equity, equity backed loan, whatever makes the most since without taking on too much risk) will happen sometime after Q2 ER and it will come after FCF positive news, Model X in full production and after GF opening. I also except it to be a big raise right away possibly in the $4B+ range. The reason why I think that is that if they just do it in steps there is always the risk of bad macro down the line and that will drag down the share price no matter what making it much harder to raise the same amount.

Reactions: Julian Cox
Since it's the weekend, maybe the mod-gods will allow me this one slightly off topic question: anyone knows what the 2.6Bn long-term debt is on page 7 of the Q4 ER? Is this some older larger loan Tesla is still paying back? (i came across this number as I was trying to refute a Tesla bashing local article today).

Since it's the weekend, maybe the mod-gods will allow me this one slightly off topic question: anyone knows what the 2.6Bn long-term debt is on page 7 of the Q4 ER? Is this some older larger loan Tesla is still paying back? (i came across this number as I was trying to refute a Tesla bashing local article today).
Their capital raises in 2013 and 2014 were convertible bonds and not a direct equity sale.

Important to separate new car production from total legacy fleet replacement.

Right. Okay.

So, from today brand new ICEs have an average (if taken care of and not driven into the ground needlessly) live span of 15ish years at the outer end? And you're calling for 50% new vehicle production in EVs within 9 of those 15 years.

I can't make that come out to 'in a very long time', where 'in a very long time' sees me in the ground before the final curtain, and I'm no spring chicken.

Last edited:
Better look up the word "demiurge".

Creator, what about the idea your clogged arteries could be purged with a simple change for posts? The author selects a descriptive topic before they are allowed to post. That way the reader is assisted in spinning through to topics that interest them. I don't think this should be automatic shuttling to macro or long term or irrelevant. One of the serendipities of this thread is the amazing range of interests.

Reactions: Johann Koeber
The "unpainting" oneself from a corner explanation of some Tesla behaviors

Every now and then Tesla makes a statement in order to counter a threat, but that statement may not serve Tesla in the long run, and some reversal is necessary.

As a case in point, I was one of the doubters who stated that Tesla would never produce a 70kwh Model X. Quite simply, for a premium vehicle, 219 miles range was simply too little (I base this statement on my 50 state drive in a 240 mile range Model S last summer). The sweet spot for an entry-level premium vehicle is about 240 miles with the current supercharger level of development in most parts of the country. When critics called the X a $130,000 vehicle, Musk countered that the X would only be about $5,000 more than a comparable Model S, and a 70kwh version of Model X would be offered. Boom, the $130,000 X criticism vanished. To extricate Tesla from this corner it painted itself into (too low a range for a premium vehicle), Tesla invented a 75kwh battery, which brings X into the sweet spot for a min range.

Now look at the 1Q16 ER, when Tesla was trading below $150/share. To deal with fears that Tesla needed another capital raise and the environment was unsuitable for a capital raise, Musk laid out the scenario of Tesla generating enough funds internally to fund the Model 3 program. This was, in fact, a workable (but perhaps not optimal) plan. Investors liked this explanation and a self-funding approach became the expectation. TSLA reversed its slide and shot to over 200. I agree with Julian that Musk was likely NOT surprised by Model 3 demand. Musk very early started fishing for an explanation to extricate Tesla from limiting itself to a self-financing approach. Yes, Tesla could self-finance Model 3 intro, but was this the correct approach? Remember when one of the TV networks did a poll and 12,000 people responded that they would like to order a Model 3? Musk replied that he might have to rethink Model 3 production planning. That was a strong clue about where Musk wanted to go. Then when hundreds of thousands of Model 3 deposits came in, Musk repeated the statement that Tesla needed to rethink the production plans for Model 3. There's no guarantee that Tesla will raise capital by the end of summer, but I think it's likely, considering the steps that Elon has taken to justify a reversal of the self-funding-only approach.

There is no question wether there will be an external capital raise.

The question really is when and with how much dilution.

The positive answer to that is - after a blowout ER and with minimal dilution. This is the answer I believe will turn out to be true.

Right. Okay.

So, from today brand new ICEs have an average (if taken care of and not driven into the ground needlessly) live span of 15ish years at the outer end? And you're calling for 50% new vehicle production in EVs within 9 of those 15 years.

I can't make that come out to 'in a very long time', where 'in a very long time' sees me in the ground before the final curtain, and I'm no spring chicken.

Right, but the 9th year is closer to the 15th than the 3rd year because the car has gone through that much more. So you could take a percentage of people buying new cars today and add to what makes the 50% of new EVs.

Last edited:
Short term macro: Tesla has successfully broken with oil lately. It seems likely Doha will have no agreement, or a watered down agreement. If oil is down 10% on Monday, there should be downward pressure on the market and TSLA. Are the positive internal Tesla trends enough to overcome the macro issues this time?

There is no question wether there will be an external capital raise.

The question really is when and with how much dilution.

The positive answer to that is - after a blowout ER and with minimal dilution. This is the answer I believe will turn out to be true.

I hope you're right as that is also when we could see a sharp short squeeze again as opposed to a slow net short squeeze we could be in the midst of now

If it is sharp I could see the price getting above 500 and even close to 1000 potentially within a few months period if the macro conditions cooperate in that window of time....although it could also settle back down to 300ish and then 400-600 range bound for a while(couple years) after that while the long end of the S curve of such a high growth stock plays out

Think of how much one could profit with the appropriate call options timed for such moves... This is also why it is playing Russian Roulette to try and sell naked calls or puts with TSLA. Eventually you will go bankrupt if that's what you try to do

Last edited:
I hope you're right as that is also when we could see a sharp short squeeze again as opposed to a slow net short squeeze we could be in the midst of now

If it is sharp I could see the price getting above 500 and even close to 1000 potentially within a few months period if the macro conditions cooperate in that window of time....although it could also settle back down to 300ish and then 400-600 range bound for a while(couple years) after that while the long end of the S curve of such a high growth stock plays out

Think of how much one could profit with the appropriate call options timed for such moves... This is also why it is playing Russian Roulette to try and sell naked calls or puts with TSLA. Eventually you will go bankrupt if that's what you try to do

Personally, I will be happy with ATH/$300 this year ;)

Reactions: Gerardf
Personally, I will be happy with ATH/$300 this year ;)

Me too, but i just want to prepare people for a possible huge run up if/when there is more of a sharp short squeeze (we may not know a short squeeze is really happening until after the fact, that is the tricky thing about short squeezes) so they dont think 300-350 is a top and sell when the stock could be going much higher in the sharp end of the S curve it could be getting ready to go through, or that sharp end of the S curve may not happen for a couple years again still, we will see. I do doubt that TSLA will just steadily creep up to 300, then 350 a year later, then 400 a year later, then 450 a year later, etc.
Similar to 2012-2013 many owners of TSLA stock would be very happy at that time if the stock reached 40 or 45 as it had been stuck in a 20-35 range for years, and then when it went through 50, 60, and 70 many people cashed out when they could have held on all the way to 200 or over 100 for sure within a couple months of them cashing out at 50 or 60.

Status
Not open for further replies.