Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget about Apple as a negative. The only stupid thing Apple could do is to make a driver's car that takes on Tesla. They may have lost Steve Jobs but they are not stupid. Losing Jobs only makes them more conservative not more adventurous. A grand adventure into sports cars at the bleeding edge of mechanical engineering is not for Apple. Apple is not the richest thing on Earth by miles and $200+ billion is not all that in the big picture. As has been pointed out here, numerous Sovereign Funds around the world are worth more than double Apple in pure uncommitted cash and the daily trading volumes on the World's stock markets dwarf it.

What Apple has going for it is near-total dominance in software, passive and interactive media content delivery and intuitive user-interfaces as a lifestyle and extending that lifestyle to a moving piece of hardware that holds you rather than you holding it is the key to Apple mobility here. All that is necessary is to strip out everything that matters to a driver or an owner and max out the passenger experience. No ownership prestige and no driving performance thrills (that stuff costs money for nothing in this context).

The opportunity space is so vast and the scope of traditional ICE manufacturers to defend its markets is so fundamentally futile that head to head competition with Tesla is an irrelevant concept and a distraction Apple does not need to bother with. An Apple sale in this space will limit Tesla's market access not one little bit while the additive effect on smashing the fortresses of Tesla's detractors will be immense - bit hard to lobby for anti-EV legislation mid Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

As a matter of fact Musk and Jony Ive appear to be buddies.

Objectively Tesla will ultimately emerge the larger EV / mobility player anyway. At the limits of market saturation, battery technology, economies of scale and experience in hardware manufacturing including "the machine that makes the machine" (both battery-cell and car) and the physics of vehicles does matter to cost per mile and quality of service and in the early days of AI EV roll out a really nice car that connects cities at high speeds and the ability to appeal to owner drivers can and will attract a market premium over cool but basic A - B transit despite the fact that flooding the A-B space is low risk and effectively offers Apple the ability to push at a virtually unlimited open-door which its resources will dramatically help it to flood.

The early days of the autonomous EV as a service will generate a service that is so much more attractive than buying a used car just to go from A to B and so much cheaper per mile to deliver that the profitability on such services for both Tesla and Apple will be immense and the internal cost per mile cost basis not really all that important. Even if Apple's costs per mile are double those of Tesla's or vice versa it would not matter - Each will come to pennies of cost on the dollar of market value experienced by their customers while undercutting a comparatively terrible quality customer experience with ICE and gasoline in a second hand car by more than 50% on price per mile. Eventually the absolute cost per mile will matter and that will favor the more advanced player but it will take many years to run out of ICE market to conquer and to expand upon to markets that have never attained car ownership due to its high costs before intra AI-EV provider price competition will start to matter.

I suspect if Apple and Tesla are the only two EV providers, Apple will overtake Tesla's early lead by volume in 5-10 years time but in 30 years Tesla will own 80% of the market by value. Naturally there will be others long before then - and the difference between Apple and Tesla is that Tesla will have a cut of nearly all of it including Apple's pie.

The fundamental value add of the automotive future is the OTA network and the battery - this is what replaces the central position of the Oil Industry of the ICE era and it would appear Tesla through its affiliation with SpaceX and rapidly approaching global dominance of the battery manufacturing supply chain is better positioned to deliver both than Apple or any other entity. The other thing to mention is that Tesla is I think better positioned than Apple to deal with the Internet of Things with an open source distributed and resilient capital structure for networks of hardware as a service each of which is or will be reliant in particular on the Tesla OTA network which SpaceX seeks to take global in low Earth orbit. Apple I suspect is more likely to seek a closed-source ecosystem that is reliant on its own capital resources and with only $200 billion to play with, Tesla will surpass it as a simple function of time and ability to deliver a higher quality product and service innovation at a reduced cost - for example integration with functional robotics to deal with tasks beyond merely transporting people in a fun environment - so for example autonomous loading and unloading and considerably beyond that i.e. doing the jobs people have to do but don't want to when they arrive at a remote location - from go fetch the shopping to go fetch the solar array components and a palette of batteries then go and build a micro-grid with them - and onward from there. Here Tesla if it persists on the same trajectory will retain the innovation advantage, continually built on the OTA network and tackling hard science connected to direct control of manufacturing.

Last edited:
Higher oil is both positive and negative for Tesla. Ultimately it's positive. For a 12~18 month time frame, I think oil is going higher. Weather it's this meeting or next, they will agree on something. Both Saudi and Russia are desperate to see higher oil prices. Shale producers are even more so because of higher production cost.
Long-term I think the oil industry will dramatically reduce size. The society is switching to EV and Hyperloop + solar and wind.
IMO, the only thing that can take the price of oil higher is continued decline in oil and gas investments. International collusion will accomplish nothing. Asking the oil industry volunarily to limit production for a high price on oil makes as much sense as volunteering to limit production to fight climate change. The solution to overinvestment in oil and gas is bankruptcy and enough fear of it to drive investors away from the sector.

Thanks FredLambert for calling the MT article to be speculative and including no real peek at Apple's design. In the absence of other important news yesterday, I think TSLA ran up on expectations that MT's sketches would be revealed to be the actual Apple car today, and those sketches were of a weirdmobile, which would have derisked the Apple threat. A true reveal of an Apple-designed weirdmobile didn't happen, and so today we're unwinding some of yesterday's runup on this hyped MT article.

Last edited:
Thanks FredLambert for calling the MT article to be speculative and including no real peek at Apple's design. In the absence of other important news yesterday, I think TSLA ran up on expectations that MT's sketches would be revealed to be the actual Apple car today, and those sketches were of a weirdmobile. A true reveal of design didn't happen, and so today we're unwinding some of yesterday's runup on this hyped MT article.

No problem. I wrote a quick piece for 9to5mac last night to quickly kill the idea that it was a leak (I had confirmed information that it wasn't). They were already talking about how it could affect Tesla even though they had nothing. It was weird. MT lost credibility today IMO.

Yeah, was a typo. Hey, do you own posting here then :p

Seriously, nice site, has become a great news resource.

Thanks, but the line between sharing and spamming is too thin for me to do that. I prefer leaving it to UNaffiliated (but nice) strangers like you.

Also important to note that when O'Connell said 400k, he was referring to the number of people with a Model 3 reservation, not the number of reservations. As Musk said, at 325k about 5% reserved more than one.
I think O'Connell meant to say 400k reservations. I expect this number to be north of one million when part 2 is disclosed. Watch the demand jumps when delivery starts. Model S used to see clustered sales after delivery. This effect will be more dramatic for model 3, because the friends, co-workers, neighbors will see the car and they can afford it too. Every sale will lead to 10 more demand. Tesla will be building many Gigafactories - Elon always refers to it as a product. They will need many. This has near term implications because TSLA many not drop as much as many have predicted. I added some today, will continue to add in the next few weeks, I certainly welcome a bigger pullback. I just don't think it's guaranteed to be in the card.

Reactions: jhm and DaveT
I think O'Connell meant to say 400k reservations. I expect this number to be north of one million when part 2 is disclosed. Watch the demand jumps when delivery starts. Model S used to see clustered sales after delivery. This effect will be more dramatic for model 3, because the friends, co-workers, neighbors will see the car and they can afford it too. Every sale will lead to 10 more demand. Tesla will be building many Gigafactories - Elon always refers to it as a product. They will need many. This has near term implications because TSLA many not drop as much as many have predicted. I added some today, will continue to add in the next few weeks, I certainly welcome a bigger pullback. I just don't think it's guaranteed to be in the card.

When Part 2 is disclosed. Prospective Tesla customers will understand that you buy a car which can later be sold as an autonomous vehicle thereby securing an appreciating asset. If that does not deliver another million reservations then that would be a surprise.

When Part 2 is disclosed. Prospective Tesla customers will understand that you buy a car which can later be sold as an autonomous vehicle thereby securing an appreciating asset. If that does not deliver another million reservations then that would be a surprise.

This is super optimistic. A lot of people want to test drive their car before buying it. $1,000 "loaned" to Tesla at 0% interest is not for everybody. And I wouldn't go in expecting the Model 3 or any vehicle for that matter to be fully autonomous by 2018. Where we stand now we're still a ways out.

I also doubt the car will be an asset for that fact. Seldom do cars appreciate. Model 3 won't. Maybe you'll profit due to the supply and demand in the first couple of months a la iPhone style, but this car will not appreciate. Thinking otherwise is just plain silly.

Also important to note that when O'Connell said 400k, he was referring to the number of people with a Model 3 reservation, not the number of reservations. As Musk said, at 325k about 5% reserved more than one.
Great work posting the video! Thank you.

There was another interesting quote from Diarmuid O'Connell, about the MX ramp (at 4:35mins):

"It taken us a little bit of time to get this up to production ramp, but we are there."

I've been a little optimistic with parsing the words before, but this sounds like an indication that what Elon indicated will be achieved some time during the Q2 - ramping production to 1,000 MX/week, was already achieved. This has potential to move the SP.

For those that follow 'max pain':

maxpain

There is little difference between $238 and $250 as one can see from the chart.
Personally, I only buy and sell options the same day using max pain IF the volume is low and news is non existent.

Regarding derisking the short-term bear argument that M3 will canibalize S and X sales, as a Model 3 reservation holder I received an mail invitation this morning to come into a Tesla store for a breakfast event with the Tesla staff. I think this is a wonderful opportunity to give M3 reservation holders a look at Model S and a test drive if they like. The events will not only result in a higher percentage of M3 reservation holders carrying through with their purchases (because they actually can see the magic of a Tesla when they sit in one), it will also result in some conversions of M3 orders to S or X orders.

Conversions to X orders are not likely to happen until X becomes more common in stores, however. If we go a few more weeks without seeing widespread X deployment to stores, I think that Tesla is probably trying to get through the backlog of P90D and 90D X orders before introducing the 100kwh battery, and we would then see P100D Model X vehicles as the ones on display most often in Tesla stores.

Reactions: colettimj
This is super optimistic. A lot of people want to test drive their car before buying it. $1,000 "loaned" to Tesla at 0% interest is not for everybody. And I wouldn't go in expecting the Model 3 or any vehicle for that matter to be fully autonomous by 2018. Where we stand now we're still a ways out.

I also doubt the car will be an asset for that fact. Seldom do cars appreciate. Model 3 won't. Maybe you'll profit due to the supply and demand in the first couple of months a la iPhone style, but this car will not appreciate. Thinking otherwise is just plain silly.

Maybe you should re-read what you just replied to.

Let me explain again if you missed it.

1. You put down $1000.
2. You get a $35K car prepped for full autonomy in a world with no autonomous cars, not even from Tesla.
3. Sometime in the next 2-5 years you get a premium $$ software update, possibly included if you bought a higher optioned version with all updates included. Hardware is there already, even if you bought the base version.
4. Now you own a fully autonomous EV - something fundamentally more valuable than a car (its a car with a built-in chauffeur).
5. Then you sell your fully autonomous vehicle - or you just let it go away and earn money for you on a hailing network.

Any other car you buy or reserve now at any price is a depreciating asset, guaranteed, whether you look at it closely or not. This one, no.

Cool, isn't it. Still want a GM Bolt or anything else on offer in the entire car market?

Reactions: MitchJi

1. You put down $1000.
2. You get a $35K car prepped for full autonomy in a world with no autonomous cars, not even from Tesla.
3. Sometime in the next 2-5 years you get a premium $$ software update, possibly included if you bought a higher optioned version with all updates included. Hardware is there already, even if you bought the base version.
4. Now you own a fully autonomous EV - something fundamentally more valuable than a car (its a car with a built-in chauffeur).
5. Then you sell your fully autonomous vehicle - or you just let it go away and earn money for you on a hailing network.

Any other car you buy or reserve now at any price is a depreciating asset, guaranteed, whether you look at it closely or not. This one, no.

Cool, isn't it. Still want a GM Bolt or anything else on offer in the entire car market?

With the current hardware suite, there's absolutely no way it is ready for full autonomous. This is fact and I can say with 90% confidence the hardware suite won't reach full autonomy capability by the time Model 3 rolls around.

You are treating the vehicle like an appreciating asset when you mean to say it's a cash flow generator due to it autonomously working for you. This won't happen for a while in the way that you are describing. Not even Musk himself is that optimistic.

I'd buy it if you said an owner became a lyft / uber driver where the low operating costs would pay for the car itself eventually, but regardless of the fact there is still opportunity cost there. A driver will still need to be present. The car isn't going to make money on its own.

I wasn't questioning how awesome the car is or the brand for that matter. I own a Model S and I have a deposit on Model 3. What I was questioning is how you get to the 1M reservation holder figure by this time next year.

I see a steady climb in reservations to about ~550-600K by this time next year organically net of cancellations and I think that'll move the SP in the short term

Reactions: FANGO

1. You put down $1000.

man I love your vision, added with a spice of sarcasm. Hopefully this pans out.

Reactions: McMuggets
With the current hardware suite, there's absolutely no way it is ready for full autonomous. This is fact and I can say with 90% confidence the hardware suite won't reach full autonomy capability by the time Model 3 rolls around.

You are treating the vehicle like an appreciating asset when you mean to say it's a cash flow generator due to it autonomously working for you. This won't happen for a while in the way that you are describing. Not even Musk himself is that optimistic.

I'd buy it if you said an owner became a lyft / uber driver where the low operating costs would pay for the car itself eventually, but regardless of the fact there is still opportunity cost there. A driver will still need to be present. The car isn't going to make money on its own.

I wasn't questioning how awesome the car is or the brand for that matter. I own a Model S and I have a deposit on Model 3. What I was questioning is how you get to the 1M reservation holder figure by this time next year.

I see a steady climb in reservations to about ~550-600K by this time next year organically net of cancellations and I think that'll move the SP in the short term

I think the point Julian is trying to make is that by the time M3 is delivered in a couple years, the hardware for autonomous driving might in fact be available. The contrarian argument is that this hardware will be introduced on S and X before M3, and so there might be an artificial delay on equipping M3 with the autonomous driving hardware.

Reactions: Intl Professor
Status
Not open for further replies.