Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

<Snip>
In its third quarter letter to shareholders, Tesla said “the Gigafactory remains on track to begin cell production later this year.”
<Snip>
Musk has said that he expects the fourth quarter to be profitable. It will be the first earnings period that includes SolarCity Corp., the solar-panel installer it bought for $2 billion.
<Snip>
Musk surprised investors in October by saying Tesla didn’t need to raise equity or borrow money this quarter, when some analysts were projecting it might soon need $2.5 billion to cover the company’s ambitious growth plans.
<Snip>

Did Tesla meet it's goal of cell production this year?

There's a connection between two and three. I think that this time a great quarter will produce a nice SP bump.

So what do we all think this event is gonna show?

My guess is a running cell production line and PowerWall2 assembly, to start deliveries immediately - exactly when they said they would two months ago.

Elon said that Model 3 Part 3 would be likely in March or April back when we first heard about this event, so I'm guessing that Model 3 won't play a big role here (other than possibly another outing for the alphas and talking about how cell production at GF is further evidence that we're on track for a late-2017 launch of 3).

<Snip>
In its third quarter letter to shareholders, Tesla said “the Gigafactory remains on track to begin cell production later this year.”
<Snip>
Musk has said that he expects the fourth quarter to be profitable. It will be the first earnings period that includes SolarCity Corp., the solar-panel installer it bought for $2 billion.
<Snip>
Musk surprised investors in October by saying Tesla didn’t need to raise equity or borrow money this quarter, when some analysts were projecting it might soon need $2.5 billion to cover the company’s ambitious growth plans.
<Snip>

There's a connection between two and three. I think that this time a great quarter will produce a nice SP bump.

And yet when it happens, the market will still be "surprised". Never mind that all the signs were there and Elon kept telling everyone what he was going to do along the way. And it still baffles me how bear analysts completely disregard Tesla Energy from the equation. They still make their arguments as if Tesla is just a car company.

And yet when it happens, the market will still be "surprised". Never mind that all the signs were there and Elon kept telling everyone what he was going to do along the way. And it still baffles me how bear analysts completely disregard Tesla Energy from the equation. They still make their arguments as if Tesla is just a car company.

Despite evidence that TE is in fact shipping product already.

Compared to cars, assembly of Powerwall and Powerpacks are simple (and therefore cheap), and so should be relatively high-margin.

Reactions: Turing
Despite evidence that TE is in fact shipping product already.

Compared to cars, assembly of Powerwall and Powerpacks are simple (and therefore cheap), and so should be relatively high-margin.

They haven't been thus far... relatively high margin. I don't know why, but they haven't been. It could be that production volumes have been far too low, so the fixed costs dominate too much. But at volume, yes, PowerWall and PowerPacks should have excellent margins. Hopefully we will get better clarity in the coming days and months.

They haven't been thus far... relatively high margin. I don't know why, but they haven't been. It could be that production volumes have been far too low, so the fixed costs dominate too much. But at volume, yes, PowerWall and PowerPacks should have excellent margins. Hopefully we will get better clarity in the coming days and months.

Thus far we haven't seen any financial results since the release of the second generation hardware. The handful of Powerwall1s delivered (mostly in Australia) would be low-volume, and supporting the fixed costs of GF - a tall order on their own. Powerpack deliveries (of either generation) didn't seem to start in earnest until 4Q16 was already underway, so I'm guessing we see mediocre margins on TE in 4Q16, with guidance to big margins from it for 1Q17 when PowerWall2's are supposed to start shipping, and will be the dominant product in the market, by virtue of being ~50% cheaper than the nearest competitor.

• Informative
Reactions: Turing

That's a good question. I have not yet seen any reports that it did. Maybe Jan 4th is the event to announce/showcase this.

I was toggling Tesla website for powerwalls across different countries. I found the "Installations begin" time-frame to be interesting.

US/Canada - Jan
Australia/Germany/UK - Feb
Japan - Spring
Mexico - Summer
China/Hong Kong - No time frame

If they stay true to the timeline, we should see some revenues starting from Q1 itself and hopefully it's ramped enough by Q2 to start delivering a positive cash flow.

• Informative
Reactions: Nate the Great
Every job is meaningful to that person I have empathy, but what I don't have is sympathy for those who just sit around and complain instead of increasing their marketability. For example coal miners, no we don't need more coal mining jobs, so get on with it and learn another trade. If you don't want to then move to China where plenty of coal is still being used.
And what about the 5.6 million job openings in the U.S. for skilled and semi-skilled labor? Seems like displaced coal miners and assembly line workers could seek out retraining programs and then fill some of those positions.

5.6 Million Reasons to Stop Ignoring the Skills Gap

Electrek coverage of Jan4 GF event: Tesla CEO Elon Musk to participate in Q&A at a Gigafactory event for investors next week

Sounds like we get remarks and Q&A with Elon + JB, plus factory tours.

Sure sounds to me like there is cell production and PowerWall2's ready-to-install to show off. If you're in TSLA management shoes, would you invite investors to see the inside of your potemkin village factory if you didn't?

I think its really a case of TSLA wanting to show off that they can in fact execute something on exactly the advertised schedule.

Last edited:
This news should cause an immediate bounce for tsla. I was starting to wonder if gigafactory was delayed since there had been no recent mention of the Jan 4 event and I'm guessing a lot of other investors were as well.
I was thinking Tesla had been awfully radio-silent since the SCTY acquisition. I think they're trying to line up a big surprise.

Reactions: Intl Professor
Electrek coverage of Jan4 GF event: Tesla CEO Elon Musk to participate in Q&A at a Gigafactory event for investors next week

Sure sounds to me like there is cell production and PowerWall2's ready-to-install to show off. If you're in TSLA management shoes, would you invite investors to see the inside of your potemkin village factory if you didn't?

I think its really a case of TSLA wanting to show off that they can in fact execute something on exactly the advertised schedule.
Or maybe they will just have unicorn rides inside that massive building?

Might even be an opportunistic precursor.

• Helpful
Reactions: SBenson and Turing
Status
Not open for further replies.