Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm picking up VIN 173215 on Friday in Houston. There have certainly been higher VINs delivered well before mine.

If you want to delve into VINs a little further check out the spreadsheet: Model S Order & Delivery 2016

The VIN tracking stuff is certainly not foolproof, but more data points allows us to make better predictions with it. For instance - I think we have enough evidence to conclusively say that the factory does not produce VINs sequentially, but it DOES issue them (more or less) sequentially. There will be outliers, such as people who request later delivery, whose VINs get delivered significantly out of sequence.

Based on my reading of the tea leaves, it looks like Model S VINs around 161xxx were being handed out for the start of 4Q Production, and that some of the last ones being delivered in California are in the 177xxx range - that would suggest about 16,000 MS give or take, delivered in 4Q16. Big gaps in the data, though, as most of the TMC users reporting is US-based, and the early part of the quarter all seems to have gone overseas. Some earlier 4Q16 deliveries from the 156-161xxx range would be balanced out by some of the 175-177xxx's being delivered in 1Q17.

• Informative
Reactions: dennis
Yesterday's close seems to have a fair amount of resistance. We've bounced off it a couple times now. I'm expecting us to close mostly flat, somewhere in the 218.50-220 range. If we break much above the 219.53 of yesterday, we could see a decent run - it represents more or less the upper trendline in @myusername's graphs and also the upper bollinger band.
pinned... this is kind of silly... next jump looks like Monday... will review before end of week. It will be nuts if we see a 5th predictable jump.

Wow, did not check since the morning, but now Fidelity shows no shares available for shorting:

Snap1.png

That's kinda late in the day for that much short borrowing, isn't it?

This is snap shot of Tesla trading screen for short selling. All it says that at 11:23am the short selling trading screen showed 426,408 shares available for shorting, and at 3:12 there was no shares available for shorting. When and in what increments this drawdown to 0 happen is not known.

Looks like it took 4 tries to get through the resistance at yesterday's close. I don't expect much run up into the close. Maybe 219.99 or 220.01. RSI(14,1d) of 92 and being at the upper 10day bollinger band are pretty strong technicals restraining further movement today.

Anybody have any idea when we should expect to hear the numbers from Tesla? I know they say within 3 days of quarter end.

I'm guessing either during the day Jan 2 or pre-market Jan 3.

(Putting citron entirely aside)

I hope NVDA investors understand the risks involved.

1) Musk did a press call on AP 2.0 rollout, that somehow leaked out. In the call Musk mentioned that AMD chips were just as good and it was a very close call.

2) Intel is investing heavily into these machine-learning (AI) chips as well, apparently these chips are less sophisticated but better at parellellisation. Very much sounded like not a big deal and any competent chip maker should be able to break into this space.

3) There are many indications that Tesla is working on custom chips and it's possible that NVDA will be displaced by Tesla's own chips.

4) Didn't Amazon (or was it google?) say they got their own machine-learning data-center chips?

Status
Not open for further replies.