Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa if atvi is down 30%, then we are in some type of bank contagion and nationalisation territory.
Sigh .. good luck to everyone. Shorts get to cash and withdraw your money before your broker goes down.

It's amazing that the market would drop like this over new years. I hope nobody is blaming asia for this.

To continue Maoing's line of thought. I do believe a margin call is now possible as Elon's Morgan Stanley loan is made around the $200 area. About $200 million worth. This will come in the form of a call to post more share up as collateral or use cash. At my brokerage, only 1/4 of the tsla's share value can be used as collateral, so I am not sure what willhappen. The worst thing is for morgan to deny tsla shares as collateral and elon having his name appear on the ticker as the one selling.

Seeing that bank contagion is in play (thanks Deutsch bank), the likelhood of margin call increases as bank reduces counterparty risk.

Welp, never thought we'd be here in any of my most pessimistic calculations. As if we are back in 2010. (some stocks actually are back to that level). Yet Here we are.

And this is where I exactly feel betrayed.
They KNEW at this time that they have severe issues with the door.The German supplier was at that time most definitely excluded.
They knew back from their prototype stages in 2011/12 that this will be a key issue.
Still they chose to "fiddle" on with the problem and make it sound it´s manageable, only because of their need to raise more cash.
In fact we are facing the complete opposite.A brutal ramp up "attempt" thru the the "valley of death".
Much harder than the MS ramp, almost impossible now.Too many war fields at once.

Now, 9 months (!) later it´s still unresolved, which reveals a procastrinating, autistic behaviorism on the management side.

There´s no "board" in sight, no quality control when it comes to PR and transparency, and this is why they are hammered.
This is inexcusable.

I am also surprised they choose to subcontract the doors.

It is a little over 4 months since the X premiere, not 9 months. Raising cash might have been the reason for not delaying. In the end though I think they did not know for sure how long it would take, but they did most likely know that it would be better to wait one more quarter to make the first deliveries. The end September date was not arbitrary but a fixed deadline.

I am also surprised they choose to subcontract the doors.

It is a little over 4 months since the X premiere, not 9 months. Raising cash might have been the reason for not delaying. In the end though I think they did not know for sure how long it would take, but they did most likely know that it would be better to wait one more quarter to make the first deliveries. The end September date was not arbitrary but a fixed deadline.
They did not subcontract the door. They subcontracted the hydraulic opening mechanism, because those things are very specific and you can't build a whole department with experts for one part.

And this is where I exactly feel betrayed.
They KNEW at this time that they have severe issues with the door.The German supplier was at that time most definitely excluded.
They knew back from their prototype stages in 2011/12 that this will be a key issue.
Still they chose to "fiddle" on with the problem and make it sound it´s manageable, only because of their need to raise more cash.
In fact we are facing the complete opposite.A brutal ramp up "attempt" thru the the "valley of death".
Much harder than the MS ramp, almost impossible now.Too many war fields at once.

Now, 9 months (!) later it´s still unresolved, which reveals a procastrinating, autistic behaviorism on the management side.

There´s no "board" in sight, no quality control when it comes to PR and transparency, and this is why they are hammered.
This is inexcusable.

I don't remember, did Tesla rise more money before or after Model X "launch". If the latter, it is clear that the "launch" was staged just to be able to rise more money.

Edit:The secondary offering was before the "launch".

Last edited:
To continue Maoing's line of thought. I do believe a margin call is now possible as Elon's Morgan Stanley loan is made around the $200 area. About $200 million worth. This will come in the form of a call to post more share up as collateral or use cash. At my brokerage, only 1/4 of the tsla's share value can be used as collateral, so I am not sure what willhappen. The worst thing is for morgan to deny tsla shares as collateral and elon having his name appear on the ticker as the one selling.

Seeing that bank contagion is in play (thanks Deutsch bank), the likelhood of margin call increases as bank reduces counterparty risk.

Welp, never thought we'd be here in any of my most pessimistic calculations. As if we are back in 2010. (some stocks actually are back to that level). Yet Here we are.

good thing elon used his options and bought a bunch more shares. Wasnt these in the range of another 200 millions worth?

Well down again premarket...again (I know it is only premarket) and max pain for options $142 (but pretty flat to 120s)...yea, I know, it is only Tuesday..Things can change.

As I look out the window of the Tesla Train it seems the landscape suggests we are moving backward.:mad:

good thing elon used his options and bought a bunch more shares. Wasnt these in the range of another 200 millions worth?

It was 532.000 shares costing US$ 6.63 per share plus plus a total of 50M tax = just above 53M US$. At 150 per share that represents a value of almost US$ 80M.

I do not have the figures, or the time to go through all the IR statements, but I assume that the acquisition costs of the shares and the loans he used for that are much, much lower than the current value current share of Elon's shares (currently 28.9 Million shares @ 150 equals > 4.3 Billion US$).

I would also point out that the deflation argument is all wrong. One needs to distinguish between deflation based on failing demand and deflation based on advancing technology. The price of energy is falling is based on advancing energy technologies applying price pressure on fossil fuels. This is an incredibly good thing for the global economy. Lower cost energy in fact increases labor productivity. So declining unemployment and increasing wages are entirely consistent with declining energy costs.

So market bears are trying to paint this picture that deflation is coming because demand is falling. This is not even true for oil, much less the rest of the economy.

According to the IEA, global oil consumption rose 1.7 mb/d in 2015. This is plenty of demand. The problem was that producers increased production 2.4 mb/d in 2014 and 2.6 mb/d in 2015. Oil producers have created their own mess, but they are trying to pin their woes on consumers. So now $50 discount on the price of a barrel crude on 95 mb/d consumption represents a $1.73 trillion per year transfer of wealth from oil producers back to consumers. This is about 2.2% of the global GDP flowing back to consumers. This kind of flow is bound to distort stock prices, especially as funds like Saudi sovereign wealth liquidate stock holdings to cover shortfalls in oil revenue. But for investors willing to think through the implications of this wealth transfer, it is a huge opportunity to buy stocks that are on the positive receiving end and to avoid stocks that are on the losing end.

Tesla benefits enormously from lower energy and commity prices. Just consider the mineral cost of its batteries. Low commodity prices are a huge boon. Also as employment and discretionary income increases, more consumers will buy Tesla products. The only thing problematic about low oil prices for Tesla is that it adversely impacts investor sentiment, but this sentiment problem as little to do with the actual business of Tesla.

So I'd encourage investors to go through this little though experiment for any stock they may own or might consider owning. Ask how does the underlying company benefit or fail to benefit from the wealth transfer from oil producers to consumers? For example, Disney, winner because operations are less costly while descretionary income favors Disney entertainment, parks and merchandise. Or CSX, loser, with cheap oil trains lose cost advantage over truckers, and oil and coal, significant freight revenue, may decline. So I sold all my CSX stock, but I am looking to accumulate more Disney stock. This is how I'm sorting out my investments, and it sure beats running scared about vague anxiety about deflation, bear market or recession. The oil wealth transfer is a huge opportunity.

Thank you and great post JHM . Already at 95 mbd , let's accelerate global pollution .

Well down again premarket...again (I know it is only premarket) and max pain for options $142 (but pretty flat to 120s)...yea, I know, it is only Tuesday..Things can change.

As I look out the window of the Tesla Train it seems the landscape suggests we are moving backward.:mad:

Yeah, it's sad watching a magnificent beast getting slaughtered.

Perfect storm you can almost say specifically designed against tesla. The absolute worst case scenario is a margin call and a share dilution. But it'd mean we are witnessing USA killing off its own golden goose. The death of anerica as the center of innovation, only to see the tech bought by China again like Fisker...

$120 will be such a mix of emotions for me. Tesla first demonstrated it can mass produce the S and we finally escape d the death grip of the housing crisis It's like the last 5 years did not happen and my choices have been the wrong ones .

TSLA down more than 5% in Europe.

This seems to be overblown, but it is what it is.

Question remains: Making or losing money on the short term price movements?

Personally I could see TSLA to go down to undervalued soon.

Maybe Volkswagen on a shopping spree and wants to add Tesla Motors tech to their Porsche company to build a compelling Porsche EV? Not kidding, VW bought Porsche some time ago in a really dirty fight.

Was Barclays price target cut from $180 to $165 already mentioned?

Last edited:

Maybe Volkswagen on a shopping spree and wants to add Tesla Motors tech to their Porsche company to build a compelling Porsche EV? Not kidding, VW bought Porsche some time ago in a really dirty fight.

Doubt we see a European car maker buying TM. However, if I am Google or Apple I am seriously discussing this possibility. I know there are many that feel this is not going to happen or a bad idea but the potential for getting TM 'cheap' and the prospect of having instant funding to speed the realization of the mission statement makes this something that needs to be considered.

I'm shocked, absolutely shocked that in premarket this morning we have lost $100 per share since end of Dec 2015. No way this happens without major short selling.

When does the 1/31/15 short interest number come out?

Last edited:
So much red :/

Was Barclays price target cut from $180 to $165 already mentioned?

I haven't seen Barclays mentioned yet..

I'm shocked, absolutely shocked that in premarket this morning we have lost $100 per share since end of Dec 2015. No way this happens without major short selling.

yesterday had no short selling I believe. So mostly just institutions liquidating. Us retail investors don't have this firepower.

Certainly that explains some of the drop but the macro conditions are the driving force. TM being a high beta stock multiples the general market sell off. In addition, prices over $200 were based on good execution. This execution now is in question (one can argue whether true or not) and the worry that a capital raise will be needed in this market condition ( one can argue whether this is needed but it appears the market thinks it does ) to get model3 lines up and running is another factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.