Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For perspective (sales of the competition):
Let's start with the mediocre news. Nissan reported today that Leaf sales for December 2015 totaled 1,347 units. That's a 56.6-percent drop from where the Leaf was a year ago, and contributed to the all-electric vehicle's 42.8-percent drop in 2015 sales compared to 2014. This past year, 17,269 people bought Leafs, down from 30,200 who did so in 2014.

The Volt sold 2,114 copies last month, bringing the plug-in hybrids 2015 total up to 15,393. That's an 18.1 percent drop from the 18,805 Volts sold in 2014. We shouldn't see the past year as a total flop for the Volt, though, since the much-improved second-generation model was introduced late in the year. In fact, if we just look at December 2015 and compare it to the last month of 2014, we see the Volt was able to post a 41.9-percent increase. It'll be quite fun to see where the Volt's numbers go in 2016.
December sales for Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf are what you expected

They might be able to average weekly production between now and the February ER-CC of 400-600 per week, with an ending rate of 600-1,000. That might do it?

When a win doesn't feel like a win:
NASDAQ down 0.24%, TSLA up 0.01% (two cents).

Here are some data points on Model X deliveries:
* 238 Model X vehicles produced during the final week of 2015
* Model X production ramping up "exponentially"
* This quote from Wall Street Journal a few days ago: "CEO Elon Musk said the company should be at full production of the Model X by the end of March, producing between 1,600 and 1,800 Model S and Model X vehicles per week at the Fremont, Calif., assembly plant."

We also know that a few Model X vehicles are taking up a fair amount of time at Service Centers as issues are addressed.
I see Model X ramp up probably constrained more by the ability of service centers to deal with early production vehicles issues than by the ability to crank out more Model X vehicles per week. As the quality of the product continues to improve, Tesla will gain the confidence to produce more and more of the vehciles each week. Full production of Model X by March? I'd guess that would be about 1,000 units/week in order to start chipping away at the backlog. In the meantime, there are plenty of Model S cars to be built.

I'd be very surprised if even one Model 3 is sold in the first full year of production at the base price of 35k. I'd not be surprised if not one Model 3 is sold in the first full two years of production at the base price of 35k.

Mr. Alaska, I believe Mr. Montana of SA is blowing smoke with the whole 45k base pricing, but we were pretending. :wink:

I mean how many Model S have they sold at 70k? None I have ever talked to managed to avoid taking *any* options.

Even the civic one of the cheapest cars on the American market has a base model that, wait for it, no one buys or in most cases is even sold. Their DX base model doesn't come with some of the most basic of things... Like power windows or cruise control.

So will they have a 35k version? Yes. But how compelling will that no option version be? I too will not be surprised if they don't sell a single 35k car for at least the first year.

...* This quote from Wall Street Journal a few days ago: "CEO Elon Musk said the company should be at full production of the Model X by the end of March, producing between 1,600 and 1,800 Model S and Model X vehicles per week at the Fremont, Calif., assembly plant."...

I wonder if WSJ got that quote directly from Tesla this past Sunday, or if they borrowed the quote from a previous shareholder letter. Anyone have any thoughts? I'd be very happy with ~800-1,000 X's being produced per week by the end of March.

What, then, will be the next positive catalyst that will START Tesla climbing TOWARDS its ATH this year?

My guess is that once all U.S. signature edition Model X vehicles are delivered and the majority of Tesla stores have received Model X demonstrators, the market will perceive that Model X production will have crossed an important hurdle.

I see the Q4 ER as a potential catalyst as well, with record deliveries, which will allow for improved GM on Model S, but I have no idea what the numbers will be. The negative of Q4 is likely heavy spending on R&D and other projects needed to move Tesla forward. Is anyone aware of analyst estimates for Q4 yet? Anyone doing any back of the napkin computations about Q4 yet?

The Model 3 reveal in March could kick TSLA into insane mode, but I am hoping to see us heading upward before then.

One near term catalyst you didn't mention specifically mention is positive free cash flow. In the last earnings call, when asked about FCF, Deepak said we'd update during the next earnings call, then Elon interjected saying their 'aspiration' is for FCF in Q1. Just logically thinking about this, if they don't quite make FCF in Q1, I would think their chances are very high they will be in Q2. Does anyone think positive FCF could be the fiercest force for a surge to towards and potentially past ATH's this year? Don't the bears know this is a real possibility?

On the last call, Deepak mentioned that expenses will definitely be less in 2016 compared to 2015. Deepak mentioned they are spending a good amount of money in Q4 relating to the X tooling/ramping up. He also mentioned a couple earnings calls ago that positive FCF will coincide with volume production of X.

Regarding FF, apparently the packs are put together by Tesla:
This is Faraday Future’s ridiculous 1,000-horsepower electric concept car | The Verge

I wonder if WSJ got that quote directly from Tesla this past Sunday, or if they borrowed the quote from a previous shareholder letter. Anyone have any thoughts? I'd be very happy with ~800-1,000 X's being produced per week by the end of March.

One near term catalyst you didn't mention specifically mention is positive free cash flow. In the last earnings call, when asked about FCF, Deepak said we'd update during the next earnings call, then Elon interjected saying their 'aspiration' is for FCF in Q1. Just logically thinking about this, if they don't quite make FCF in Q1, I would think their chances are very high they will be in Q2. Does anyone think positive FCF could be the fiercest force for a surge to towards and potentially past ATH's this year? Don't the bears know this is a real possibility?

On the last call, Deepak mentioned that expenses will definitely be less in 2016 compared to 2015. Deepak mentioned they are spending a good amount of money in Q4 relating to the X tooling/ramping up. He also mentioned a couple earnings calls ago that positive FCF will coincide with volume production of X.

Regarding FF, apparently the packs are put together by Tesla:
This is Faraday Futureâ€[emoji769]s ridiculous 1,000-horsepower electric concept car | The Verge

That quote sounds like he's talking about Tesla, not about FF.

This is an interesting piece on BBC News on CES: "Ford details hi-tech cars, but without Google" http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35238639

Like I expected, the chasm between Valley tech and Detroit is way too big. Sure Ford opened engineering office in the Valley but I personally highly doubt any of the traditional car makers have the culture to nurture developing rich software. And if they're trying to pull it off partnering with each other, even worse. Personally I expect them to flop around like a fish out of water for a bit on this subject, and then be forced to adopt third party tech on much worse terms than what they could get today.

I think you misinterpreted what they are saying:

We’re working with the biggest and best battery cell suppliers in the world and working with them to design the architecture and battery packs, which will be done in house, in a way similar to the Tesla model," Sampson says. "They, (Tesla), work with Panasonic, but the packs are all done by Tesla. We are designing our own packs and our own control systems." Faraday declined to disclose who its cell suppliers are, however.

Afaik there is no 2nd gen Volt or Bolt coming on RHD, so I struggle to see this as anything more than a compliance car. I hope the RHD model 3 isn't delayed as much as the S and X, as they'll be a nice gap in those markets for some time.

Grabbed more TSLA at $222.
Been buying on each large drop, may sell this lot (25%) when this is up over $240 within the next few weeks, because I suspect it will be around this level until X really gets out there later in the Q. Then we'll buy on the next drop. Otherwise it joins the rest for our post model 3 long position.

The arena is about many long-range EVs at mass-market prices, there will be plenty of entrants from 2017-2025.

You focus on the single GM Bolt and its design too much:

If GM can build the Bolt with LG batteries at this price in 2017, anyone in the car industry can follow until 2020 (see LG customer list) and offer such long-range EVs at $30-50k.

See eg. the Hyundai Ioniq - many more will follow.

Good for EVs as a car category - but bad for Tesla.

The narrative is also important. By tomorrow, the investing public knows that Tesla will have plenty of competition in the Model3 space by 2020.

Where would those batteries come from?

Unless Tesla begins selling batteries, or China starts exporting their batteries away from their exhaustive domestic EV targets, it's not physically possible for any sort of remotely decent EV ramp from competitors in the US or Europe for at least 2-3 years.

Who will ever buy Chevy Bolt if it costs approximately the same as Model 3?? What am I missing here? I bet if somebody made a poll of existing Chevy Volt/Nissan Leaf owners about their next vehicle 90% would say that they are waiting for Model 3.
Anecdotally, I'm at 100% of Leaf owners I've talked to who eventually will buy a Model 3 to replace their Leaf. The Bolt will probably get some sales in due to it likely releasing before the Model 3. Past that, they may very well be dead in the water at that price point and no fast charging network. Same with all the other providers, Bolt/Gen2 Leaf owners will be in for a horrible surprise when their 50 kw chademo / combo CCS chargers take over an hour to hit 80% of their vehicle's charge on road trips, assuming they live in one of the two US corridors with acceptable chademo infrastructure. I'm sure that hour charge will be fun in the dealer parking lot, too. Gen II Leaf owners will be in for a horrible surprise when their air-cooled batteries drop tens of miles of range per year. Oh, and hope that they don't run into another single charging owner at those stations either as the vast majority of chademo / combo CCS chargers are a single stall only.

The dealership model is reason enough to stretch for a Model 3 even if the vehicles are equivalent otherwise. I can't wait to get rid of my Leaf even though I love it more than any ICE I've ever owned.

Last edited:
Where would those batteries come from?

Unless Tesla begins selling batteries, or China starts exporting their batteries away from their exhaustive domestic EV targets, it's not physically possible for any sort of remotely decent EV ramp from competitors in the US or Europe for at least 2-3 years.

Anecdotally, I'm at 100% of Leaf owners I've talked to who eventually will buy a Model 3 to replace their Leaf. The Bolt will probably get some sales in due to it likely releasing before the Model 3. Past that, they may very well be dead in the water at that price point and no fast charging network. Same with all the other providers, Bolt/Gen2 Leaf owners will be in for a horrible surprise when their 50 kw chademo / combo CCS chargers take over an hour to hit 80% of their vehicle's charge on road trips, assuming they live in one of the two US corridors with acceptable chademo infrastructure. I'm sure that hour charge will be fun in the dealer parking lot, too. Gen II Leaf owners will be in for a horrible surprise when their air-cooled batteries drop tens of miles of range per year. Oh, and hope that they don't run into another single charging owner at those stations either as the vast majority of chademo / combo CCS chargers are a single stall only.

The dealership model is reason enough to stretch for a Model 3 even if the vehicles are equivalent otherwise. I can't wait to get rid of my Leaf even though I love it more than any ICE I've ever owned.

He never responds to this. It has been put out there a number of times that it would take not just a single competitor (eg LG) making a Gigafactory at 50GWh a year but more like 400-500GWh by 2020 to maybe, possibly be an issue for Tesla. And even then it would still have a bigger impact on ICE than it would Tesla.

So the question isn't where is LG's singular Gigafactory, but where is the Gigafactories... Plural. Of course there isn't even the first one... Nevermind multiple... But again, TFTF refuses to comment on this.

Who will ever buy Chevy Bolt if it costs approximately the same as Model 3?? What am I missing here? I bet if somebody made a poll of existing Chevy Volt/Nissan Leaf owners about their next vehicle 90% would say that they are waiting for Model 3.

I don't want to sound too negative. But according to various posters here, the $35k Model 3 will be so basic that no one will want it. A decently equipped M3 will be $45K+. (According to posters), it may take till 2019 for a decently equipped Model 3 to hit the promised price tag of $35k. Until we know for sure what exactly is being offered at what price points, such speculations may be premature.

Re the "competitor" discussion, I think it's fair to assume that every offering is a compliance car with no real aspirations of taking sales away from tesla until said company is actually breaking ground on a fully national fast charging network. A car that cannot serve as a person's sole car cannot be viewed as mainstream and will never be accepted or sold in large numbers. You simply cannot take on tesla without a charging network - they are different cars with different purposes and the cars won't even be cross shopped. You can't ignore the battery supply issue, either.

setting all that aside, nothing is a tesla competitor until it is a vehicle in the same class. I will never understand why Tftf et al think anything that's electric will compete with anything else that's electric. Just like with an ice, looks, body style, brand name, utility, tech, handling and performance matters. People aren't just doing a cost benefit analysis and choosing the cheapest thing. I'll wait until model 3 styling is released to be certain, but I'm pretty sure it will look nothing like the bolt and it will cater to an entirely different audience.

I don't want to sound too negative. But according to various posters here, the $35k Model 3 will be so basic that no one will want it. A decently equipped M3 will be $45K+. (According to posters), it may take till 2019 for a decently equipped Model 3 to hit the promised price tag of $35k. Until we know for sure what exactly is being offered at what price points, such speculations may be premature.

The Bolt price is promoted as $30K after the federal tax credit. So the real price will be $37.5K. This is also clearly a starting price, which already is 2.5K higher than the projected Model 3 price.

I am not negative at all. This is just purely practical question - knowing what we know about the two manufacturers and their products, I just do not see anybody buying Chevy Bolt over Model 3, leave along planned maximum yearly production of 30K Chevy Bolts making any dent in Tesla's Model 3 sales. This line of thinking has zero credibility and no historical precedence as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:
The Bolt price is promoted as $30K after the federal tax credit. So the real price will be $37.5K. This is also clearly a starting price, which already is 2.5K higher than the projected Model 3 price.

I am not negative at all. This is just purely practical question - knowing what we know about the two manufacturers and their products, I just do not see anybody buying Chevy Bolt over Model 3.

Exactly. The bolt looks like and will be attempting to steal sales from $15k cars (sonic, fit, etc.). Good luck when starting at $30k post incentives. Meanwhile, I expect the model 3 to look like and steal sales from the German sedans (Audi a4, bmw 335). As a $27,500 car. One is able to leave a 100 mile radius, one is not for all practical purposes. One has Ota updates, one does not. Etc. good luck, bolt.

But, if you look at the Bolt from another angle, it is only $10,000 more than a Leaf, and so much more usable for longer trips. I think it will steal sales from every last 100 mile EV and by a huge amount. My family can use two new cars. One to replace a VW TDI, this may be a Bolt as we need the car by the end of 2016. The Prius we can wait until the Model 3 arrives.

But, if you look at the Bolt from another angle, it is only $10,000 more than a Leaf, and so much more usable for longer trips. I think it will steal sales from every last 100 mile EV and by a huge amount. My family can use two new cars. One to replace a VW TDI, this may be a Bolt as we need the car by the end of 2016. The Prius we can wait until the Model 3 arrives.

I agree the bolt has a purpose and is at least a step in the right direction re ev transformation. It will compete with and take sales from the leaf and Prius. I just strongly disagree that it will be in competition with the model 3.

In the fire at the supercharger, the police is satisfied that the charging station wasn't malfunctioning. Google Oversetter

Interesting news. Since Google translate sometimes does a poor job let's just say that the core information is that

1) The local chief of police says that they have concluded their examination of the charging station and they have not uncovered any faults with it. It has now been "freed" (likely meaning released from police "custody") and the chief of police goes on to say that "we wouldn't have released it had we found anything wrong with it".

It doesn't clear the supercharger of having been involved in the fire though. It may have supplied the correct current and voltage to the car, and then a fault in the car caused the fire.

In the video at the bottom of the page, the sheriff says there's still stuff to process on the car. So the conclusion may be days or weeks away. Though Tesla is participating in the investigation, so it may be that they will release some information soon-ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.