Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, lets go with that. So if some folks are repeatedly shorting and covering, shorting again and covering again. If they are repeatedly doing it at the most oppurtunate moments... That would just be "trading" right? how is this different from actively buying/selling (instead of shorting/covering)... What I thought you are making a claim is that shorts are suppressing the stock price. I am having a hard time connecting the dots to that.

Yesterday's volume was 13mil shares. Could shorts really "control" the price with that kind of volume?

This was addressed so many times by Kurt and others. When trading, either selling or buying you do not move the price because it works against trader. Engaging in either price support or suppression is totally different. In case of shorting you want to time large trades with the downward ticks, greatly multiplying the effect, potentially triggering cascade of stop loss orders or panic selling because abrupt drop typically is associated with some kind of bad news. So when people see such a drop it unnerves, sometimes enough to panic sell. The key is concentrated in time selling. This is well known technique, and I am surprised that you are unaware. I actually saw a very good description associated with the SEC rule which limits short selling activities under some circumstances - you can just surmise how this works straight from the SEC wording about the prohibition. I don't have time to dig it out now, but will later. May be somebody can help if has time now...

• Informative
Reactions: SBenson
Well, remember that Apple ships far more devices that store energy than Tesla.

With 200B of cash, if they decided the market was worth getting into, they can buy a couple solar companies and a couple of battery companies, built a facility way bigger than the Gigafactory overseas to use the cash sitting there and still have 190B of cash to share.

Given Apple's expertise in batteries (they buy them), that should be about as successful as their current effort to compete with Tesla with the Apple Car.

Isn't that essentially what they did with the 100kWh pack? Old format cells packed tighter. I'd expect them to do the same with Powerwalls/Powerpacks. Previously I speculated the improved 100kWh packaging came from developments for the new 2170 form factor packaging and they saw a way to use it before the 2170's were ready for prime time.
I expect the 100 kWh pack will have a lifespan in the 1-2 year range. Tesla is obligated to buy a lot of cells from Panasonics factories in Japan, and the Model S/X is the likely place to put them to use. The plan for Tesla Energy and Model 3 however is to use 21-70s.

There were essentially no 163XXX 165XXX 168XXX reported. Normally, about 5~20 were reported for each 1k VINs. Since the facelift, only one 135XXX and two 136XXX reported until today.
Just because there's no reports doesn't mean the cars don't exist! In each case, there's a gap in dates where the "missing" VINs are. Unless you are willing to conclude, without evidence, that the factory was shut down or they just stopped issuing VINs for several days but then restarted at a number that surprisingly coincides with regular VIN issuing cadence, the theory fails. The much more likely explanation is that those VINs exist but are not reported, either because they are inventory, issued to non-Forum members or whatever. If the VINs suddenly jumped by an un-issuable number one day to the next (say 1-2k jump in a day) then you would be on to something, maybe (assuming they didn't just issue a bunch at one time for some reason - issuance does not mean they are built right away). Let's start with the most recent:

Missing 168,xxx - 6 day gap. Exactly what would be expected for a run of 1000.
10/11 - 167,8xx
10/17 - 169,xxx

Missing 165,xxx - your best argument, but not definitive. 2 day gap at worst, 10 day gap at most. Note this is self-reported data and not everyone knows the *exact* VIN assignment date because they check MyTesla 10 times a day. It's possible the 10/4 person was actually assigned on 9/26 or 9/27 or something. Unlikely that Tesla issued that few of VINs between 9/26 - 10/4, but possible. Need more data here.
9/26 - 164,xxx
10/4 - 164,xxx
10/6 - 166,2xx

Missing 163,xxx - 7 day gap. Exactly what would be expected for a run of 1000.
9/19 - 162,xxx
9/26 - 164,xxx

If I had to guess, I'd say they were in scramble mode at the end of the quarter to make new inventory. Many stores sold every car in their possession, including all floor models. Hard to sell cars when there's nothing to show customers. I bet ~2,000 inventory cars were made in that period and we will see them soon.

"Missing" 135,xxx and 136,xxx: the fact that 1 or 2 exist of each disproves your theory that those VINs were skipped. The fact that these numbers are (apparently) only showing up now strengthens my claim that sometimes inventory VINs are hidden from view until later when they are made available for sale.

What looks like a Tesla mobile store was spotted tonight by a relative outside of the "Mistral" restaurant in Princeton, NJ.

View attachment 200394

So I stopped during the day to check it out, and that is indeed Tesla Mobile store, complete with gray Model S and Model X with Airstream trailer in tow. After speaking with wonderfully enthusiastic and knowledgeable sales guys, the are traveling pulling the trailer between locations in NYC, Long Island, NY, Saratoga NY, Princeton, NJ. As weather gets colder they are scheduled to go down South along the eastern sea-board, eventually to Florida. Surprisingly they sold two cars (did not ask whether MS or MX) while parked in Princeton. I am not sure how somebody just passing a trailer in the center of Princeton could drop a 100K out of the blue, but it happened.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    324.8 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    435.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
History of tesla product announcements has shown pretty clearly that no matter how "cool" they are, they don't really move the stock price in a positive way. Elon could announce pretty much anything and I don't really see it moving the stock in a concrete way until the street can see backup of the acquisition being financially neutral or positive in an actual financial statement.

I think Dave made that point upthread - it'll probably be at least one or two earnings calls post-merger before the uncertainty around SolarCity dies down.

IIRC DaveT also made the point the the primary mover that is missing is new buyers. But it is apparently much more exciting to think that Mr. Burns is shorting the stock out of hatred for Musk and his renewable energy products.

• Funny
Reactions: tander and SBenson
IIRC DaveT also made the point the the primary mover that is missing is new buyers. But it is apparently much more exciting to think that Mr. Burns is shorting the stock out of hatred for Musk and his renewable energy products.
New buyers will do nothing to the SP if there are determined short sellers around to negate the effect and dilute the stock.

SP movements getting more irrational by the minute.

This midday downdraft is apparently due to the FBI director at 13:00 EDT indicating that his agents are further investigating Hillary Clinton's emails handled by a private server when she was secretary of state. The market in general and investors in alternative energy stocks in particular appear to fear that that may increase the chances for Donald Trump to become president.

I suspect that most voters have already made up their minds, and the effect of today's news will be minimal. If polls after today indicate as I expect that Hillary Clinton is still likely to win, stocks in general and TSLA in particular should rebound from today's fall.

As noted in my book, the market in late October typically enters a six-month period of strength. The outlook for a presidential election can cause market confusion and indecision early in October, but as the outcome becomes more certain, especially if in the direction of the Wall Street favorite, a meaningful rally can be let loose.

I honestly can't tell if you are trying to make a point ..

The point is that people have repeatedly said that a constraint to adoption of home solar is how bad the panels look.

So this isn't just an issue of "cool tech" it is addressing a constraint in the market. It is a differentiator that can make a big difference to adoption and therefore $$$

Elon has said the same thing so I don't think he is trolling.

Ask yourself, is it reasonable for the SP to retreat to its starting point the day before the excellent ER was released. No! It is not reasonable. What I offer here is a reasonable explanation for unreasonable stock price behavior.
I don't think it's reasonable to think that most or all of the downturn was caused by shorting. I believe that it's more reasonable to believe that there are other weaknesses that shorts were able to exploit.
History of tesla product announcements has shown pretty clearly that no matter how "cool" they are, they don't really move the stock price in a positive way. Elon could announce pretty much anything and I don't really see it moving the stock in a concrete way until the street can see backup of the acquisition being financially neutral or positive in an actual financial statement.

I think Dave made that point upthread - it'll probably be at least one or two earnings calls post-merger before the uncertainty around SolarCity dies down.
It's not 100% a product introduction, but part 1 of an effort on Elon's part to show that the SCTY acquisition makes sense. Part 2 is on November 1 when he explains the financials. He said that he convinced the major institutional fund managers. If he can convince the market as well we'll be off to the races. It's not unlikely he can do that, since he convinced the fund managers without showing the product.

But nobody has bought the rumor.
I'm sorry. I meant that there might be a temporary bump, like the recent ER.

But it's also possible that we'll get a permanent bump, as I suggested above, or possibly if it completely fizzles we could see $180-$195. It's a very hard situation to predict.

Status
Not open for further replies.