Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You seem to discount the possibility of a significant macroecnomic downturn which concerns me, especially given how fraught our current political climate is.
I actually don't think it'll matter. This is based on studying the late 19th century; there were some huge macroeconomic downturns (the "Long Depression") but the successful "new technology" companies (like Standard Oil) made out like bandits.

Are you referring to desalination of sea water? As energy gets cheaper, desalination and transportation of potable water will become more cost effective. At some point, fresh water will become so abundant and cheap, droughts and hunger will get eradicated.

There are some doomsday investors buying agricultural land hand over fist recently fearing worldwide food insecurity and war as a result. I guess that is the real bubble forming right now. As energy gets cheaper, potable water can be created near a seashore and transported to almost anywhere, even to Sahara desert. Better days are ahead :D

I read an article about that somewhere I think Saudi Arabia they basically had a sandy desert near a salt water source and they created a greenhouse with solar panels and would pipe water in and desalinate it all based on solar power. I imagine that once solar panels/storage get cheap enough they might be able skip the greenhouse and just outright turn beach into cropland.

Reactions: Ulmo and TMSE
I am thinking that if TSLA didn't tank today it isn't going to due to recall theory (the idea that a rush of new shares available would cause a temporary drop). But then, the new shares don't seem to be showing up for some reason.
There are plenty of reasons there could be a delay in the new shares showing up for lending. Consider the scenario that lenders were keeping the shares across the record date, *and that they work 9-5 M-F*. They might call the broker to lend the shares out on Monday, and the shares wouldn't be available for lending until tomorrow.

Like an idiot, I bought shares today rather than waiting until Tuesday to see whether this happened, but whatever.

• Informative
Reactions: vgrinshpun
I actually don't think it'll matter. This is based on studying the late 19th century; there were some huge macroeconomic downturns (the "Long Depression") but the successful "new technology" companies (like Standard Oil) made out like bandits.

That's why I view Tesla as a set and forget investment if you don't want to trade it. I figure that even if there is a big macro thing Tesla is only going to grab more market share for however long it lasts. They've already created a value proposition in the luxury market, it's going to trickle down pretty soon and people that don't care much about the "green" perception are going to start buying for value. It's not as big a deal with oil prices low but as they climb the incentive get's bigger in most places.

This is surprising. I am wondering why institutions are not making recalled shares available to short now, that record date have passed. Did they got disgusted taking short sellers money?

Another hypothesis to throw out there. Suppose Elon talked to the major institutions and discussed a stock issuance coming up. Suppose the institutions want the stock price to be as high as possible during the stock issuance, so that there is as little dilution as possible. Maybe the shares don't get lent out until after the stock issuance...

....would only make sense if the stock issuance was coming *really really soon*.

There are plenty of reasons there could be a delay in the new shares showing up for lending. Consider the scenario that lenders were keeping the shares across the record date, *and that they work 9-5 M-F*. They might call the broker to lend the shares out on Monday, and the shares wouldn't be available for lending until tomorrow.

Like an idiot, I bought shares today rather than waiting until Tuesday to see whether this happened, but whatever.
For what it's worth, IB had 0 shares to short early in the trading session and sometime in the afternoon 96k showed up. There wasn't an accompanying volume spike (suggesting a short covered and therefore shares becoming available again) so I can only assume these were newly available shares. The interest rate remained steady at 80%. I'll watch this rate closely tomorrow as I'd expect it to majorly adjust downward if recalled shares are being returned to circulation.

I read an article about that somewhere I think Saudi Arabia they basically had a sandy desert near a salt water source and they created a greenhouse with solar panels and would pipe water in and desalinate it all based on solar power. I imagine that once solar panels/storage get cheap enough they might be able skip the greenhouse and just outright turn beach into cropland.
I believe you are talking about Bellona's Sahara Forest Project.

Cobos

Or like Apple during the great recession, sure it was dragged down for a few quarters with the turmoil, but it bounced up and beyond pretty fast all things considered.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
Another hypothesis to throw out there. Suppose Elon talked to the major institutions and discussed a stock issuance coming up. Suppose the institutions want the stock price to be as high as possible during the stock issuance, so that there is as little dilution as possible. Maybe the shares don't get lent out until after the stock issuance...

....would only make sense if the stock issuance was coming *really really soon*.

This would only make sense for each institution if they all acted together by forming a TSLA lending cartel. Doing it individually wouldn't be worth the loss of interest. I had made this point last night and I think it makes a lot of sense (and I'm pretty sure it's legal).

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden and Ulmo
Short interest for 9/15/2016:
Tesla Motors, Inc. (TSLA) Short Interest
Code:
Settlement Date  Short Interest    Avg Daily Share Volume    Days To Cover
9/15/2016          27,884,627               4,181,307       6.668878
8/31/2016          26,213,855               2,543,436      10.306473
8/15/2016         26,362,627                2,884,474       9.139492

I'm guessing the NEXT data point will indicate whether or not short interest decreased

Reactions: tander
I'm pretty amazed that Tesla shares have managed to be fully shorted for so long. Do the shorts not realize that they are essentially making TSLA a well-paying dividend stock and thus support TSLA sp, which makes their own success nearly impossible as they continually pay interest?

Shhhh.

Status
Not open for further replies.