Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I accept this is going to fly in the face of recent posts/posters and I am calm and don't need a 'chill pill'...but....can we get 'steak' and
after we have heard the 'sizzle'?

Why even suggest that you, the CEO, will be releasing a significant announcement about the direction of your company until you have it complete or so near completion that your 'hope' timeframe is, in fact, the reality?

My suggestion continues to be that we get a COO to take some things off EM's plate.

Why then release a "secret master plan" at all?

Tesla was never about releasing finished products and the current quarter, and always about big plans for the long-term future. Elon's ability is to turn one into the other, and he likes to share his enthusiasm during that process. Isn't it in the nature of that to have many changes along the way? You could say that Tesla has many delays, but I'd say it is one of the fastest progressing companies.

I don't expect the MP to have a lot of news for those who are familiar with everything Tesla, but mostly to put in concise form what we have already gathered from various bits and pieces. That said, let me reload again... :)

Reactions: VanE and SW2Fiddler
I feel like a lot of you are like this..........

75ecef2d97136a26e9ecc5a690125c20.jpg

Reactions: Muaddid
Feds Say Safety Is The Key to the Future of Autonomous Cars

“We don’t want to replace crashes with human factors with large numbers of crashes caused by systems,” Foxx said. He added that while there are a lot of reasons as to why the industry is moving toward autonomous vehicles, “if safety isn’t at the very top of the list, we’re not going to get very far.”

Thank you Mr. Obvious.

Thumbs up on the steak, but there's need for sizzle at the moment and here's why. Musk and Tesla are involved in a battle that involves the autopilot accident and the SEC evaluation. Besides the usual suspects who would like to see Tesla embarrassed, you now have some additional players, namely Fortune Magazine and Consumer Reports who have a dog in the fight. At stake is the question of the future continued availability of autopilot to consumers and at stake is the SEC's opinion of whether an investigation is warranted on the material importance (from the information Tesla knew at the time) of the autopilot accident. If TSLA stock price remains comfortably above 215, then there's little reason to consider the autopilot accident to be materially important. If, however, the SP drops below 215, then the SEC might look closer at the topic. If the SEC evaluation turns into an SEC investigation (which I do not think will happen), then the autopilot question becomes center stage in the media again, and those media outlets that supports the position of Consumer Reports will begin to chime in and the news cycle goes decidedly negative.

Thus, it makes a great deal of sense for Elon to release enough information about where Tesla is heading so that the stock price stays high or goes higher. I see this goal as the reason why he has chosen this rather busy time to release his Master Product Plan. There's nothing coincidental about the timing. Musk is normally rather ambivalent to short term swings of TSLA stock price, but he isn't right now, and one needs to understand he's in a unique situation at the moment.

I don't see how the sp moving forward is of any concern regarding the SEC. The information is now public and the stock price is currently and has been above $215, plenty of time for those who think the information was/is material to share holders to become ex share holders....with a profit.

I don't see how the sp moving forward is of any concern regarding the SEC. The information is now public and the stock price is currently and has been above $215, plenty of time for those who think the information was/is material to share holders to become ex share holders....with a profit.

That is a good point. I had been thinking of this an an open-ended free put at 215 until the SEC issues an all-clear, but all of these trading days ALSO represent a free put at 215, no need for Tesla to provide them.

I see three reasons why keeping TSLA at 225 or above is important to TSLA right now:
1) If we sink below 215, the autopilot critics will say, "see, upon further discussion, this matter truly was of material interest to equity purchasers.
2) If TSLA stays comfortably above 215, there is no basis for a lawsuit by equity purchasers against Tesla for not divulging info about the autopilot accident. Such a lawsuit would be both embarrassing and potentially harmful to Tesla's reputation
3) How institutional holders of TSLA vote on the SCTY acquisition will be heavily flavored by how the stock is performing now, while people are initially making up their minds how to vote on the SCTY acquisition and later, when the vote actually takes place.

Date Spread
7/14 Close $19.48
7/15 Close $15.15
7/17 Close $11.99
7/18 recent $11.97

So as the spread has tightened up, Tesla is able to jump up. Perhaps as spread of $12 is tight enough.
We closed with a spread of $10.01. So it looks like the price still need to converge a bit closer.

I think SolarCity got a boost from the $345M capital commitments yesterday. This allow the stick to move up. Tesla buyers may have misattributed this to Tesla, which fizzled out today, even as SolarCity continued to move ahead.

IMO, SolarCity still needs to get to $27 before Tesla can move much above $225.

I see three reasons why keeping TSLA at 225 or above is important to TSLA right now:
1) If we sink below 215, the autopilot critics will say, "see, upon further discussion, this matter truly was of material interest to equity purchasers.
2) If TSLA stays comfortably above 215, there is no basis for a lawsuit by equity purchasers against Tesla for not divulging info about the autopilot accident. Such a lawsuit would be both embarrassing and potentially harmful to Tesla's reputation
3) How institutional holders of TSLA vote on the SCTY acquisition will be heavily flavored by how the stock is performing now, while people are initially making up their minds how to vote on the SCTY acquisition and later, when the vote actually takes place.

My point addresses #'s 1 and 2, #3 is a different subject. You can't sit and hold shares after the material information is now known at a profit with the ability to sell then cry when the stock drops back below $215. In case you haven't noticed, stocks go up and down, there is no way to relate a down move in the stock weeks after the fact. The market reacted and it said "this is bullshit, we don't care".

As far as critics, I couldn't care less. This is the same reason I can't stand listening to the shorts that pop into this thread, their only intention is to twist every fact to the negative like all Tesla critics. If it isn't the made up AP issue they would be screaming about whatever contrived issue they can make up at the time. I feel concern for the posters here who claim to benefit from the shorts that post here, if you don't have the ability to see the most basic risks to Tesla that these shorts are constantly screaming about, you and your money will soon part.

Status
Not open for further replies.