Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently during the opening hour this morning some shareholders have chosen to ignore my suggestion. :confused:

As you wisely demonstrate, that strategy ultimately defeats the setup for a true short squeeze. The solution is to set no sell limit at all. If no one sells, the shorts are squeezed, squashed and slain. The shorts would have to bid astronomical prices to buy back and return the shares that they have borrowed. All the while their brokers would be hollering at them with margin calls.

The lurking question would be: at what level would otherwise strong longs be enticed to sell? Once they start weakening and sell, the price would start to come down, but likely remain at a rather high level if a significant number of shareholders choose to sit out the process. If Tesla shareholders do remain steadfast during the coming days, things could get quite interesting.

^^ This? I never sold :cool:

Barclays was out making fun of Tesla today as well. Lemmings.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 51
We don't want that?! If it happens due to institutions pulling in their shares to vote that should take at least a day or two? It might be a distraction for the company but it will have a huge impact for shareholders and option holders that sell and repurchase after the peak. This is the ST Thread isn't it?

If we get to something like $300, which seems conservative my relatively small number of calls will increase by over $200k! If that's merely a distraction please bring it on :D. I believe that will happen eventually, but sooner is better for options plus that would ratchet up the value of my portfolio.
Short squeeze - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Short squeezes are more likely to occur in stocks with small market capitalization and small floats, although can involve large stocks and billions of dollars, as happened in October 2008 when a short squeeze temporarily drove the shares of Volkswagen on the Xetra DAXfrom 210.85 to over €1000 in less than two days, briefly making it the most valuable company in the world.[2][3]
Perfect time to set trailing stops :D!

We don't want that?! If it happens due to institutions pulling in their shares to vote that should take at least a day or two? It might be a distraction for the company but it will have a huge impact for shareholders and option holders that sell and repurchase after the peak. This is the ST Thread isn't it?

If we get to something like $300, which seems conservative my relatively small number of calls will increase by over $200k! If that's merely a distraction please bring it on :D. I believe that will happen eventually, but sooner is better for options plus that would ratchet up the value of my portfolio.

You are right, the first scenario is a good "problem" to have. But the second is better since you don't have to sweat an exit point. And for what it is worth, I don't think we will ever see the first but will see the second. Unfortunately it realistically might be 2-3 years away. The good thing is that it is still a great investment. If we figure near zero growth in 2015 (in the books), 2016, 2017 and then "the great lurch" in 2018 that still gives you a compounded annual growth rate of 73% on your investment:

cagr.JPG

This is why we should all just be buy-and-holding, since now the timing is harder to predict. increasingly I am thinking that the next big revaluation will happen with financially successful model 3, which is a very high bar indeed. The market (might) shrug off M3 releases, 6 deliveries, good reviews, 3 quarters of "we promise M3 is ramping" etc. There will come a quarter with startling top line revenue or profits or something that will provide the big jolt. OR the market decides to give TM some credit and it happens earlier on one of the other milestones.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Barclays was out making fun of Tesla today as well. Lemmings.

I mean, god forbid analysts actually do do their job and .... oh I don't know ... let's say try to estimate how the best positioned player (Tesla Energy) will fare in what Citigroup estimates to be a $400B stationary storage market? Nah, let's make Martian jokes instead of thinking about complicated, crazy stuff like that.

Analysts were the same in 2012. But my guess is that many of them will jump on the bandwagon once they see on the ground results, just like they did in 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.