Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well... on the conservative side, I'm thinking that TE really isn't a story for 2016. Ideally, Tesla can max out Panasonic's capacity out of Japan for vehicles, and then TE is stuck sourcing cells at "normal" volume cost from the likes of LG and Samsung SDI. Only if Tesla cannot make enough vehicles would there be leftovers for TE at the $125-$150/kWh cell cost. Let's say they manage to ship 100 MWh this year. (2x the size of the big Hawaii project). Priced at $470/kWh, say they source the cells at $300/kWh, add 30% for the pack structure, BMS, etc. That's $390/kWh in costs. Say another $20/kWh in overhead, so $60/kWh in profit margin. At 100 MWh, that's $6 million in profit. That's just not all that much money, even if you double or triple that.

Next year, however, as the pilot phase of the Gigafactory comes online, there will be a mix of TE and vehicle cells. The first 3-4 months of production is likely all TE. That could be as much as 2-3 GWh of just TE cells at very, very low cost. Let's say the TE COGS all in price is $165/kWh at that point. If they sell it for the original $250/kWh price, that's > 50% margin. 1 GWh would be $85 million. 3 GWh would be $255 million. Of course, Tesla could sell at much higher than $250/kWh.

Basically, whatever is happening with TE in 2016 is a small appetizer to what is likely to happen in 2017.
I think I understand what you think, which seems reasonable to me:
1. Tesla will use 100% of Panasonic's capacity for cars, now through the end of 2016.
2. GF cell production will not start until very late Q4.
3. Those factors will combine to reduce profits in 2016 to insignificant levels.
I am more optimistic than that. I think that they will have GF cell production for at least 6-8 weeks in Q4.

I think that based on EM's and JB's assurances (very confident) that that cell production will be permanently available for cars.

I also think that Phase 1 cell production will be on the order of 6-12 GWh. 6 GWh equals one eighth (60-70% confident) of the original plan, possibly 12 GWh equals x2.

I also believe (very confident), that the custom cell production equipment they are designing and building for Phase 1, will be much faster and cheaper to produce for Phase's 2-8.

But I think we both agree that Q1 2017 should be big for TE, enough to have a substantial impact on the SP? Probably enough to shock the market?

Last edited:
Thanks SBenson.

How fast will shorts cover now? hahahahaha

But yea... if it does go through, then... TSLA is up against even more stubborn incumbents on top of the regulations they currently deal with. I guess its a more effective use of the legal team....

• Funny
Reactions: erha
Status
Not open for further replies.