Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mild Mannered Moderator climbing aboard here:
I'm not going to take anyone out to the woodshed, but - quite possibly due to market action - there is more than enough ill-will being spread around...especially to new members...over the last several dozen posts that I'm going to suggest each of you responsible to slow it down a bit.

Each of you.

Mild Mannered Moderator climbing aboard here:
I'm not going to take anyone out to the woodshed, but - quite possibly due to market action - there is more than enough ill-will being spread around...especially to new members...over the last several dozen posts that I'm going to suggest each of you responsible to slow it down a bit.

Each of you.

Agreed - Market controls moods unfortunately. Looks like we got a nice bounce off 244. Hopefully, we can regain $250 by the afternoon.

A recent (June?) research note from Jefferies seems to confirm this hypothesis. They asked ~150 Tesla owners what cars they replaced / what they would've bought if they didn't get the Model S, and the answers were a surprisingly wide range of vehicles in various price bands. The biggest surprise to me was that 70% of the people surveyed had cars with ASPs below $60K prior to their Model S.

The average age of the Model S owner is also ~15 years younger than the typical F segment buyer.

So, typically in this age group is where the big income jump happens.

Successful people in their mid forties are typically replacing a C or D segment car with an F segment car, Silicon Valley 20 something billionaires excluded of course.

As opposed to typical S-Class buyers in their 60's or 70's replacing one F segment car with another.

The relevant question is what car they would have bought not what they are replacing. That depends on honest answers about a supposition, what would have happened, as opposed to telling the truth about a historical fact.

Thanks for replying to my first TMC post! Fair point on "upgrade buy" vs. replacement, especially given initial sales was heavily concentrated in the Silicon Valley where young millionaires are created daily.

The average age of the Model S owner is also ~15 years younger than the typical F segment buyer.

So, typically in this age group is where the big income jump happens.

Successful people in their mid forties are typically replacing a C or D segment car with an F segment car, Silicon Valley 20 something billionaires excluded of course.

As opposed to typical S-Class buyers in their 60's or 70's replacing one F segment car with another.

The relevant question is what car they would have bought not what they are replacing. That depends on honest answers about a supposition, what would have happened, as opposed to telling the truth about a historical fact.

Tesla Stations at Airbnb Locations

Not much of an accompanying article:
Airbnb and Tesla Motors are starting a partnership to bring Tesla car charging stations to 30 Airbnb properties along the West Coast in cities such as Los Angeles, Palm Springs and Healdsburg, Calif. Tesla has donated and installed the stations that are meant to give travelers freedom on their road trips, according to Chip Conley, head of global hospitality and strategy at Airbnb. “When considering accommodations, Tesla drivers are limited by how far they can get on their car’s battery charge, but this partnership alleviates that constraint,” he said.

The stations are the initial phase of a collaboration to add more properties with charging stations in other destinations.

I bought at $251 this morning and thought I had done well !!! Gulp... luckily I didn't use all of my funds.. I was able to use the rest at $245 and I'm fully back onto the TSLA theme park ride.

busch-roller-coaster.jpg

ETA: thinking of starting a thread - "Does TSLA make you a more aggressive Investor?"

Last edited:
How does this work exactly, now that the offering has closed. Are the underwriters buying for their own funds?

I believe so. They have access to loads and loads of cheap liquidity. They will be overweight TSLA if they're forced to buy and buy to keep price at or above the offering price. But that's OK, they will unload gradually when TSLA goes up again. Or if disaster strikes they'll do another pump and dump. It would look very bad to their big clients who bought the offering if they could have bought TSLA cheaper a few days later on the open market.

Yup Ninja: pump n dump. The sold at say average of $250 now buying it back in the low $240's. Lots of weak long stops taken down along the way. That's how you make money if you're already rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.