Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very odd action. Probably profit taking from the Q1 ER Run Up that or a new round of shorting is underway.

I think it mostly has to do with traders taking short term short positions on the news. That slide was just viewed by a solid amount of traders this morning.

Jaguar CEO says people just don't want EVs right now
In other news, at the Automotive News Europe Congress, Jaguar Land Rover CEO Ralf Speth says "customers are not impressed with it currently", referring to battery technology, characterizing it as "too heavy, too expensive", and with power density that is "too low".

lol.

Which we all saw, it was the slides from JB's presentation a couple weeks ago. This could mean many different things. "volume production" or just a more conservative number? who knows? I don't think anyone should be shocked for a small pushback on the Model 3, but I will say what I said previously, Panasonic has voiced that they are holding Tesla's feet to the fire on a release date for the Model 3 since they want to see an ROI on their investment of the Gigafactory. So unless the Gigafactory itself is delayed as the stated reason for the delay in the Model 3, I can't see Panasonic letting Tesla get away with a pushback here.

Also, with other brands tentatively releasing their cars in 2016/2017... the longer Tesla delays, the worse it is going to be from that perspective.

Excellent buying opportunity this morning. Didn't think we would drop under 260 again. Once Model X is released this will seem like a bargain price.

I think it mostly has to do with traders taking short term short positions on the news. That slide was just viewed by a solid amount of traders this morning.

Jaguar CEO says people just don't want EVs right now
In other news, at the Automotive News Europe Congress, Jaguar Land Rover CEO Ralf Speth says "customers are not impressed with it currently", referring to battery technology, characterizing it as "too heavy, too expensive", and with power density that is "too low".

lol.

If anything it's the word of the 2018 Model 3 "delay" that's causing it and a new round of shorting coming in. Doubt anybody cares about what the Jaguar CEO says.

Panasonic has voiced that they are holding Tesla's feet to the fire on a release date for the Model 3 since they want to see an ROI on their investment of the Gigafactory.
Right, but if the stationary storage pipeline is becoming more clear Panasonic might be fine with a delay. They just want to see their ROI. I just want to see my Model 3 but I guess we can't all win.

Does anybody else think that short term wise Q2 global deliveries, Model X configurator release and Model X first deliveries are by far more important than Gen3 potentially pushed back a few month and now actually evolving as a sedan and SUV?
Really tempted to build my medium term position on this funny SP move...
BTW Europe very happy about serious progress in Greece (next meeting already scheduled for this Thursday).

Last edited:
I think we are in for a choppy ride from here until the Model X configurator reveal, which is hopefully sometime in July. The stock has a lot riding on Tesla's ability to deliver the Model 3 and avoid running out of cash before the Model X ramp up. I think they will be able to do it, but the stock price is a reflection of the perception, and today's news is not good for perception. Of course, this slide has been out there for some time, so the delayed reaction today demonstrates how inefficient the market is in reality.

As for real catalysts coming up without the customary end of quarter rush, it will be difficult to handicap the Q2 delivery results. Plus the FX is so uncertain in terms of how it affects Tesla and with the recent stock price run up, I'm out of calls at the moment. I made a bit on protective puts.

Personally, a significant drop down to the 240's will be a clear buy signal for me. Maybe nibble in the very low $250 range. Otherwise, the risk is very high right now and call option pricing out beyond July is ridiculous.

I think that was a weak assertion by InsideEVs that because that slide says "PLANNED FOR 2018," Tesla has officially pushed back the first delivery of the Model 3.

But, they have a job to do, they need clicks, and their headline "TESLA MOTORS: Model 3 Pushed Back To 2018" not only implies that the car has been pushed back, but it implies that Tesla Motors announced it!!!

That is the kind of thing that will be copied all over the web. Not unlike the L.A. Times garbage from the other week.

I've got a mixed opinion of InsideEVs. Sometimes they post very good stuff. Today's article is a long stretch. If they had verified it, or tried to, that would be one thing...

Bloomberg quoting Tesla spokesperson email:

- Model 3 remains on schedule
- Plans to show Model 3 in 2016
- Still sees Model 3 starting production in 2017
- Model 3 will reach full production in 2018

Before you ask - this is it on the headlines. There's nothing else to quote/cite until they come out with a brief article in a bit.

Update: they have named the source as Khobi Brooklyn, a Tesla spokesman

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 8.27.52 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.