Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is so much unexpected movement in the stock I have no idea what to make of it.

Seriously. I've been slowly buying back in and had a limit set to $85 today to pick a small bit more, but it decided to rise, which is fine by me too. There's got to be plenty of us who sold out mainly and have begun buying back positions for the long term.

I really thought we'd be down into the mid-70's by now and stable but it looks like there is an absolute hunger for this stock. I'm still going to keep my position relatively small and wait to see if I can get something at $85, then more at $80.

With Japan going Lehman on us today, having cash isn't the worse thing either...

Seriously. I've been slowly buying back in and had a limit set to $85 today to pick a small bit more, but it decided to rise, which is fine by me too. There's got to be plenty of us who sold out mainly and have begun buying back positions for the long term.

I really thought we'd be down into the mid-70's by now and stable but it looks like there is an absolute hunger for this stock. I'm still going to keep my position relatively small and wait to see if I can get something at $85, then more at $80.

With Japan going Lehman on us today, having cash isn't the worse thing either...

this is about my position as well- holding a smallish core stock position; watching for adding long ops Also agree that the market in general in clearly overbought and has been leveling lately- TSLA is now tracking more with the market- for the time being the short squeeze is done, etc. - They do have a challenging quarter coming from a reporting standpoint- as clearly reporting a loss or even a reduced gain will be a challenge for the market at these levels. On the other side, there is a big demand for the stock and that will continue- so my take is we'll see some bouncing around in the low $80s-to low $90s- with some occasional market induced whips outside that. If that's true- then adding in steps on those dips would make sense

this is about my position as well- holding a smallish core stock position; watching for adding long ops Also agree that the market in general in clearly overbought and has been leveling lately- TSLA is now tracking more with the market- for the time being the short squeeze is done, etc. - They do have a challenging quarter coming from a reporting standpoint- as clearly reporting a loss or even a reduced gain will be a challenge for the market at these levels. On the other side, there is a big demand for the stock and that will continue- so my take is we'll see some bouncing around in the low $80s-to low $90s- with some occasional market induced whips outside that. If that's true- then adding in steps on those dips would make sense

I agree. I'm also out of the short-term play. I'm buying and holding on for awhile. I probably screwed myself a bit from a tax standpoint rebuying a bit higher than I sold, but that's the chance. I can't complain about the outrageous profits we were granted. I'm definitely out of the options game, at least in terms of buying calls for the time being. Everything is still too expensive IMO. Then again, I got pretty used to buying way out of the money calls on the cheap and making what should be illegal profits. Those days may be over, but they were fun.

I have some limit buy orders as well. There are some really positive things about the stock now:

1 - The squeeze is over and the stock didn't fall back to a some lower level. This is now the trading range for the stock. I think Elon Musk and George Soros would have a lot in common - they both understand the reflexive nature of financial markets.
2 - The stock in the absence of a major announcement that changes sales outlook or adds information on product roll out will stay in this range. My intent is to buy as much as I can in the low to mid-80s.
3 - As we get closer to the second earnings call I am sure we are going to see a major run into the hundreds. Don't miss that train folks..

I disagree on the squeeze being over.

IMO the real shorts have just started covering from the short term tsla price movement followers that sold stock.

I follow a broker that posts available shares. A day or so ago they had finally gone above 1M available to short, now down to 450K. Many are still betting on a fall!

We can hang out here for a while, need a catalyst to move up down much. Perhaps that catalyst occurs after a few more of you sell out for small gains, then the price can go up another 50-100% for more profit taking.

Sleep well.

IMO the real shorts have just started covering from the short term tsla price movement followers that sold stock.

I follow a broker that posts available shares. A day or so ago they had finally gone above 1M available to short, now down to 450K. Many are still betting on a fall!

Right, but these new shorts are not being squeezed really. They aren't being forced to cover as they've recently gotten in as shorts. Perhaps there's a bunch of weak handed shorts who are covering now that it didn't fall has $85 today or something. But I think the epic Tsunami of Hurt we've been discussing here for months has come and taken its victims and their families for now.

It's funny, we've all been discussing this short squeeze to the point where I don't think anyone really thought it would happen. It was by far the most obvious thing ever.

Norse: re my prediction of a dip into the $70s, thought a combo of low volume & zero news for a while (and the market turns its gaze temporarily to some other shiny object) might quickly, briefly take the wind out of TSLA sails. Should have known Elon was not about to let THAT happen. Up 6.5%. Again. ML

Right, but these new shorts are not being squeezed really. They aren't being forced to cover as they've recently gotten in as shorts. Perhaps there's a bunch of weak handed shorts who are covering now that it didn't fall has $85 today or something. But I think the epic Tsunami of Hurt we've been discussing here for months has come and taken its victims and their families for now.

It's funny, we've all been discussing this short squeeze to the point where I don't think anyone really thought it would happen. It was by far the most obvious thing ever.

This is why I stated several posts back that when TSLA moves up enough, there will be "round 2" of pain for the new shorts, and they will further fuel the upward momentum of the stock as these "smarter" shorts run to cover :). It's a pain feedback loop :)

Norse: re my prediction of a dip into the $70s, thought a combo of low volume & zero news for a while (and the market turns its gaze temporarily to some other shiny object) might quickly, briefly take the wind out of TSLA sails. Should have known Elon was not about to let THAT happen. Up 6.5%. Again. ML

There's plenty of time for it to take a dip down there, especially if the markets go to complete **** for awhile. I don't think they will, but I also know nothing.

I really thought a dip into the $70's was inevitable within the month, but it's showing really strong support above $85. I feel like we're more likely to see $100 before we see $75.

I disagree on the squeeze being over.

We can hang out here for a while, need a catalyst to move up down much. Perhaps that catalyst occurs after a few more of you sell out for small gains, then the price can go up another 50-100% for more profit taking.

Sleep well.

the squeeze is over; the short covering and short covering rallies will go on for many months. But Don't expect another squeeze like this one, you'll be setting up for disappointment imo. Squeeze and covering-rallies are not the same events. My opinion is to watch for more event driven criteria now and place less capital risk on short-squeezing

This is why I stated several posts back that when TSLA moves up enough, there will be "round 2" of pain for the new shorts, and they will further fuel the upward momentum of the stock as these "smarter" shorts run to cover :). It's a pain feedback loop :)

I support this. :)

Why anyone is shorting this thing is beyond me. There's easier places to make a quick buck without the losing your ass in 5 minutes potential than day-trading TSLA right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.