Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So that's it, just got rid of my last calls as it went through 172.
I consider myself extremely lucky as I've bought them (they were 135/145/155 Sept) the day of the ER and the day after, thougt for some time that I was losing it all, and was patient enough to hold untill today.
I sold with a pretty good profit. Lessons learnt: timing when buying, patience, faith in TSLA. I just sold because I didn't want to be too greedy and because of possible Tesla Tuesday. I guess I'll regret my move :)

Through $170 now. I'm tempted to start my common conversion.

Anyone care to chime in about cashing in now (ACB around $60) to book profits and buy LEAPS at the right time? I have no idea where this will stop, but the last few days feels a bit unreasonable.

If you are concerned and have large profits held for less than a year, then to avoid the high tax for short term gains, buy insurance by hedging your position with exchange traded options.

If shareholders do not sell, then the shorts keep getting squeezed and must cover at higher and higher prices. Hold the high ground.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice Curt, in Canada I believe capital gains are taxed at 43% on half of what you make regardless of the term. This stock has not failed me so far, and I think that I just need to find the right put. I closed the last of my covered calls earlier this morning the timing of which could not have been worse.

I'll stick to buying puts for now.

Hi all,

First time poster, decently-timed lurker. Love you guys for the awesome material I get to read everyday.

So I got into TSLA starting at about $35 with a pretty small position back in March or so. This was after some decent research about the company and Elon. As the news starting rolling about profitability in the first quarter, I went on this ridiculous reading rampage (which continues today) about everything Elon and Tesla. In other words, I'm 100% sold on his vision and the potential of Tesla. I think we are truly at an inflection point and there is no coming back from the avalanche. However, I would like some advice, if possible, from the awesome group that is this forum.

My initial goal getting into stock trading earlier in the year was so that I could come up with enough earnings to cover the closing costs for a new home (I'm 26 and looking for a first time purchase). I started with DDD, ONVO, TSLA, XONE, SSYS, SCTY, AAPL, and TRTC. Needless to say, I've had a killer year so far (save for TRTC and to an extend AAPL, although lately I've been in the green with them). I'm nearing a stage where instead of paying for the closing fees, I can fund the entirety of my down-payment through my winnings. However, I have this nagging feeling that if I sell now, I will miss on an epic, historic run for TSLA that will land it in the thousands in 5-10 years time.

Anyway, I need some advise from the more experienced and level-headed. Am I getting too greedy? Should I wait a little longer and see where I land? Should I just live with my parents until I die?

Thanks very much!

EDIT: Changed mortgage to down-payment. I WISH IT WAS THE MORTGAGE!!!

Hi all,

First time poster, decently-timed lurker. Love you guys for the awesome material I get to read everyday.

So I got into TSLA starting at about $35 with a pretty small position back in March or so. This was after some decent research about the company and Elon. As the news starting rolling about profitability in the first quarter, I went on this ridiculous reading rampage (which continues today) about everything Elon and Tesla. In other words, I'm 100% sold on his vision and the potential of Tesla. I think we are truly at an inflection point and there is no coming back from the avalanche. However, I would like some advice, if possible, from the awesome group that is this forum.

My initial goal getting into stock trading earlier in the year was so that I could come up with enough earnings to cover the closing costs for a new home (I'm 26 and looking for a first time purchase). I started with DDD, ONVO, TSLA, XONE, SSYS, SCTY, AAPL, and TRTC. Needless to say, I've had a killer year so far (save for TRTC and to an extend AAPL, although lately I've been in the green with them). I'm nearing a stage where instead of paying for the closing fees, I can fund the entirety of my down-payment through my winnings. However, I have this nagging feeling that if I sell now, I will miss on an epic, historic run for TSLA that will land it in the thousands in 5-10 years time.

Anyway, I need some advise from the more experienced and level-headed. Am I getting too greedy? Should I wait a little longer and see where I land? Should I just live with my parents until I die?

Thanks very much!

Split the difference and risk ...sell 50% and pay 50% of house.

Relentless strength, I am at awe...

- - - Updated - - -

This rally from 150 - 170 'feels' like institutional buyers beginning the front-run of the inclusion to the S&P 500. IMHO

I think TSLA gets added to S&P 500 in the $200-250 range next Spring.

Too bad it is a after-fact thought. Who saw this coming after the post Q2 ER slide??

- - - Updated - - -

oh Speaking of that, a guy called JC comes to my mind. :wink:

Hi all,

Thanks very much!

I feel qualified to answer this as I'm 25 and went through a similar decision in 2012. I sold AAPL at $600 (on the way up to 700) to fund my down-payment (20% down). Let's just say I have no regrets :)

Since I got a good deal on my place and home values are up 10% where I live. My home-equity has doubled in the past year.

If you run the math, it's hard to beat building home-equity.

P.S. - I'd recommend stretching for the 15 year mortgage. And put 20% down so you don't need to pay the couple hundred bucks a month PMI robbery.

I feel trapped due to short term taxes.

Today I say forget about the tax. I break free. I sold two large positions and will play the swing. Can't reject such volatility opportunity market is giving.

Compare my regular account performance and my 401 self directed one, the latter one outperform by a large percentage in the last month because there is no tax restriction on the latter one. If I trade the same way for the regular account, the additional gain will well cover the tax difference.

Today I say forget about the tax. I break free. I sold two large positions and will play the swing. Can't reject such volatility opportunity market is giving.

Compare my regular account performance and my 401 self directed one, the latter one outperform by a large percentage in the last month because there is no tax restriction on the latter one. If I trade the same way for the regular account, the additional gain will well cover the tax difference.

I've already been caught out once trying to time the swings, cost me about 20% in gains. So, throw in the significant tax hit I take I would need to time it perfectly and even then I may come out worse off. I don't have enough cash to hedge all of my position. What about selling some calls and if I get caught at least I made a little more on my way out? I've been very tempted to turn my stock into jan 15 leaps but again, the tax hit makes me hesitate.

I know this is the short-term thread, but this place makes enjoyable reading. Even, if it falls or rises, I'm gonna "hold" the "high ground" and not sell out to the shorters and naysayers win. Soo many pluses long-term... Model X late next year. just getting started in the European and China markets.

I'll sell when it gets boring, but right now, it's just too exciting. :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.