Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing the details review, we know that DoE loan was repaid with other peoples' money. Now, the debt is extended in a different manner and the prepayment fee was written up as "non-GAAP" revenue. Heavier interest liability now exists and will be carried forward in order to get the Government monkey off their backs. Both GM and Tesla were assisted by the federal and state governments and the IRS - however, GM still has a huge black eye while Tesla is marketing this payback as a good thing. It's still debt.

Goldman Sachs has the reigns, let's go for a ride.

For one minute I mistakes this Bonaire with Bonnie And this last two comments got me really worried if it is really from Bonnie. Lol blame it on the tiny iPhone. I need to ditch apple and get a bigger phone.

AustinEV. You do know that the latest runup is sponsored by Goldman Sachs and not company financials, results, pre orders or consumer polling or demand.

Would that be the same Goldman Sachs who came out with an analysis report and claimed TSLA was highly priced at $84 (below the $92.24 they last 'bought in at'), which promptly dropped the stock by 20ish% in two days?

Was that stunt meant to manipulate TSLA for their and their client's benefit? A lot of people think, YES! They haven't, however, moved that price target in line with the stock price...at any time. They aren't publically pumping up the stock, indeed, many out there thought the $84 was a reduction of price target instead of the increase that it was. Are we giving GS credit for knowing when to play the reverse psychology card?

I'm not so naïve as to think there aren't some shenanigans going on on WallStreet, but neither am I so naïve as to think they control Tesla and Tesla's ability to produce in increasing numbers the most compelling and safest car in the world, to build out an infrastructure to support that product and their customers, to implement and leverage advances in battery technology, to run the tightest factory ship and reach projected targets like gross margins, to stay the course of a well-thought out business plan, to grow brand reputation and recognition etc..., all of which most certainly affect the TSLA price, regardless of what GS does or says.

... Both GM and Tesla were assisted by the federal and state governments and the IRS - however, GM still has a huge black eye while Tesla is marketing this payback as a good thing. It's still debt...

The federal government has lost money on the GM bailout, and is expected ultimately be a loss many times more than the entire loan amount to Tesla.
The government has made a profit on the loan provided to Tesla.
I think GM's black eye is well deserved.

As for debt, Tesla's debt is private debt, much of GM's is public debt. That is a huge difference in most people's minds.

I do think GM's stock price will improve and the government will take less of a hit than many fear. I also am very much looking forward to the second generation Volt and Spark. But to equate the bail out GM received when it went bankrupt and the loan Tesla received and repaid in full is ... well, not reasonable.

You're welcome. Yes, they appear to have barely missed on Friday. If they had actually beaten the target by only a penny, that may have interested the regulators.

... which it might be the case it should anyway. It certainly seemed odd to me, that extreme burst of deals just at closing. Couldn't it just as easily as GS rigging for Day #1/20 have been someone trying to prevent such an outcome? As it is, it actually missed by a penny (if the clock had been two seconds slower).

Still holding you to it :)

Thanks for remembering!

I am not the forgetting kind. I would be very pleased that you are still in the game to $170 in order to collect the fat wad I am expecting from you.

Regards the President (and never forgetting a prediction I have made) I have to say that I have been waiting for some action on this score ever since the repayment of the DOE loan. This is essentially the only piece of unfinished business that I have been going on about since the SA article I wrote in May. Everything else besides my $170 side bet with Johan has a tick in the box. Since then Obama has gone ever increasingly ballistic on rhetoric concerning climate change action. This one seems actionable and palpably ungrateful of him not to fix, like wtf? Special interests stand in the way of key Act On Climate touch point. Exempting Tesla (or EV's in general) from State Franchise Laws can't be that hard can it? Not like it stops any dealer from doing anything dealers are doing already - in other words there is nothing to sue for. Oi Obama, get on with it, there's a reputation on the line.

Wow, just looked at the first pages of this thread and seeing how we were selling at $38 afraid of a pull back. Not even 6 months ago! The NYT days when Broder took his jaunt around lower Manhattan. What a run. What will the next 6 months have in store?

Now we are talking 170 like we were talking 40 back then. Remember the major resistance at $36.60 ish.

Last edited:
I am not the forgetting kind. I would be very pleased that you are still in the game to $170 in order to collect the fat wad I am expecting from you.

Regards the President (and never forgetting a prediction I have made) I have to say that I have been waiting for some action on this score ever since the repayment of the DOE loan. This is essentially the only piece of unfinished business that I have been going on about since the SA article I wrote in May. Everything else besides my $170 side bet with Johan has a tick in the box. Since then Obama has gone ever increasingly ballistic on rhetoric concerning climate change action. This one seems actionable and palpably ungrateful of him not to fix, like wtf? Special interests stand in the way of key Act On Climate touch point. Exempting Tesla (or EV's in general) from State Franchise Laws can't be that hard can it? Not like it stops any dealer from doing anything dealers are doing already - in other words there is nothing to sue for. Oi Obama, get on with it, there's a reputation on the line.

I'm afraid that Obama is following on in Bush's footsteps in this: the last thing you want is a speech saying how important your (industry/library/hospital/endeavor) is, because you almost always get closed down soon after. Rhetoric is not even worth the paper it's not written on.

I have spent the last six months obsessively watching tsla stock movements. In my estimation it has been an epic battle between shorts and longs. Right now, with deliveries beggining in Europe I am sensing that shorts will be overwhelmed. Every time I feel that way, the shorts huddle-up and launch a new short attack.

Any thoughts on what Monday will bring?

Status
Not open for further replies.