Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The question is why the article is listed under TSLA's news feed? I clicked it early, couldn't find TSLA and abandon the read.

I read it too, but one thing i want to point out which this article did mention that i read, which i was thinking about in our new "alternative energy thread", is watch CREE. I am an electronics engineer and have been using their products for years. They are on great growth. Just like EVs are going to be the new thing LEDs, will be over time as well for saving energy and being a new fun green tech. I tried to find leaps but i couldnt find any (well at least on my etrade account). Their earnings is coming up quick and the market pull back hasent come for me to try and buy more in the past week or two. I am thinking of at least buying a few Jan14 and 15 calls. Sorry for being off topic to Tesla. If the mods want to move this post then it can go in the Alt energy like i planned.

I read it too, but one thing i want to point out which this article did mention that i read, which i was thinking about in our new "alternative energy thread", is watch CREE. I am an electronics engineer and have been using their products for years. They are on great growth. Just like EVs are going to be the new thing LEDs, will be over time as well for saving energy and being a new fun green tech. I tried to find leaps but i couldnt find any (well at least on my etrade account). Their earnings is coming up quick and the market pull back hasent come for me to try and buy more in the past week or two. I am thinking of at least buying a few Jan14 and 15 calls. Sorry for being off topic to Tesla. If the mods want to move this post then it can go in the Alt energy like i planned.

I own CREE, and some 3D printing stuff (also mentioned in the article for those that didn't read it).

Seems others are already questioning the GAAP - non-GAAP reconciliation. I'm not an accountant. Is there anything to this?

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/365210209909604352

This is meaningless and those people in the twitter feed are morons; probably shorts that are getting slaughtered tomorrow.

Q2 results are in the past and completely irrelevant right now. Tesla just proved that it is a viable and profitable company with sustainable (actually growing) demand and that they are going to change the auto industry.

If you want to make money in stocks you have to stop living in the past and look towards the future. Tesla's financials are only going to get better. Pretty soon we are going to be talking about quarterly EPS in the dollars per share category instead of cents per share.

$35,000 car coming in a few years that doesn't require any "miraculous" development to become reality.

You have to takeaway the big picture items from Q2 earnings and not get caught up in the pennies here and there.

Seems others are already questioning the GAAP - non-GAAP reconciliation. I'm not an accountant. Is there anything to this?

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/365210209909604352

some of those arrogant hedge fund shorts never give up...but it's good for us...serves as something like a redistribution of wealth. From the ultra rich who foolishly trusted their money to some of these arrogant hf managers to get redistributed to us early adopters, many of us were not upper class before our belief in TSLA but are now Teslonnaires (or soon to be). I'll take it, gotta love capitalism at its finest. The only question for me is whether to give the US govt 20% or 40% of this wealth redistribution....I will hold long term on most so it will be 20%

Originally Posted by JRP3
Was there any mention of how many cars were built in the quarter? I don't see it in the letter and didn't hear it in the call.

I didn't see it anywhere either. But, I'd be surprised if it weren't at least 500 more than delivered. I say that, as I expect that many were ready to go onto a ship to Europe.

Some of us who took the factory tour during TESLIVE saw an internal bulletin board/monitor that showed 5454 cars built in Q2. Does that add up?

I agree 100% with bonnie on this one guys! This site should remain open and free. There are great moderators to keep things classy and up until now there has been no need for secrecy. There is tons of information out there, the thing is to think for yourself and evaulate the quality of that information. Let med reiterate something I mentioned before today: If you are happy with this community and if you are making nice $$$ using information on this board, DONATE and contribute!

I guess you guys are right. Was trying to keep the size of the membership manageable but realize as Tesla grows so will visitors here and it's only fair to give all membership. Tough to artificially keep info out in a fair way. Then we'll truly become "insiders" hehe... Dunno maybe for membership have them answer a ton of questions to test their commitment...?

I am starting to think DaveT's valuation of $25b - $35b is very reasonable for Tesla after looking at valuations of some other companies like NFLX, LNKD, and CREE. I don't know anything about CREE, but NFLX and LNKD can still potentially end up going the way of MySpace. But Tesla will survive for sure. Tesla deserves a significantly higher valuation than these companies and I feel like there is plenty of room to run.

If you are afraid of market movements affecting TSLA's price and the volatility that goes along with it, then I would recommend a long/short strategy of buying TSLA and shorting NFLX. Only because both have the same market cap and we know for sure that 3 years from now Tsla's market cap will be higher than nflx in good or bad market.

This is meaningless and those people in the twitter feed are morons; probably shorts that are getting slaughtered tomorrow.

Q2 results are in the past and completely irrelevant right now. Tesla just proved that it is a viable and profitable company with sustainable (actually growing) demand and that they are going to change the auto industry.

If you want to make money in stocks you have to stop living in the past and look towards the future. Tesla's financials are only going to get better. Pretty soon we are going to be talking about quarterly EPS in the dollars per share category instead of cents per share.

$35,000 car coming in a few years that doesn't require any "miraculous" development to become reality.

You have to takeaway the big picture items from Q2 earnings and not get caught up in the pennies here and there.

This is being accurately reported in most of the stories I have seen. Anybody who isn't intentionally trying to create negative spin can see this is a very positive report.

any bets of the price tomorrow? Will it continue like last quarter? Hopefully all the bets were placed! I know mine were $)
I added to my stock only position at 3:55pm EST today but have kept cash in reserve just in case. I like the ride but admit I don't want to go overboard. Still trying to figure out all the option angles but will probably just stick with what I know...straight stock. With the expected 5 star crash rating coming out..or being leaked out...tomorrow...I expect a nice increase over the next few days but not the $200+ that some predict within a week......I hope I am wrong and it blows thru 200.

Question of paying to play on this site. I would gladly contribute but I think the spirit of the forum would change a bit. I would rather someone set a 'voluntary fee' that we can contribute to help pay for keeping the site up and running.

I started out on the TM site months ago but rarely visit now. This site has better info, better moderation and generally much more respectful discussions.

please turn your attention to this thread: NHTSA crash tests videos this could be like the consumer reports thing again. Tomorrrow is going to be fun

Yes! The model S just got 5 stars in every category announced just now:

2011 & Newer - Search Results | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Of course we all knew that it would get 5 stars in every category, but the media didn't know and will eat this up tomorrow on the back of great earnings.

Buckle your seat belts everybody, we are going for one fun ride tomorrow.

I started out on the TM site months ago but rarely visit now. This site has better info, better moderation and generally much more respectful discussions.
I agree, I did the same thing when I first bought this time last year, then lurked here for a few months and quickly realized TMC was more informed than the TM forums.

Thanks to everyone for maintaining this site and your contributions.

Also thanks to those who recommended "The Options Playbook", my copy came today, looks like a great book but reading the report and keeping up to date here swallowed all my time.

Question of paying to play on this site. I would gladly contribute but I think the spirit of the forum would change a bit. I would rather someone set a 'voluntary fee' that we can contribute to help pay for keeping the site up and running.

May I suggest 0,1% or 0,01% of your booked profits with TSLA (or whatever other number you are comfortable with)? Just click "Support TMC" on the top banner. Donate via PayPal. Goes directly to site upkeep, servers etc. I am doing 0,1% of my profits whatever that ammount may come to in the next week or two.

Many other Car forums i am apart of (and Mod/admin for) do have perks if you pay/donate. now i dont think use normal people should lose out on this great resource but little bonuses like special avatars and signatures for the contributing members would be nice. Also some users like sleepy (even after the SPWR debacle, haha) should get those special privileges without paying.

May I suggest 0,1% or 0,01% of your booked profits with TSLA (or whatever other number you are comfortable with)? Just click "Support TMC" on the top banner. Donate via PayPal. Goes directly to site upkeep, servers etc. I am doing 0,1% of my profits whatever that ammount may come to in the next week or two.

Great suggestion: Done!

Johan: Do you have your car?

I am starting to think DaveT's valuation of $25b - $35b is very reasonable for Tesla after looking at valuations of some other companies like NFLX, LNKD, and CREE. I don't know anything about CREE, but NFLX and LNKD can still potentially end up going the way of MySpace. But Tesla will survive for sure. Tesla deserves a significantly higher valuation than these companies and I feel like there is plenty of room to run.

If you are afraid of market movements affecting TSLA's price and the volatility that goes along with it, then I would recommend a long/short strategy of buying TSLA and shorting NFLX. Only because both have the same market cap and we know for sure that 3 years from now Tsla's market cap will be higher than nflx in good or bad market.

I think 30 to 35 billion should come by Model X release, by end of 2014.
I think the 45 to 50 billion range will come closer to beginning to mid 2015 as orders for Gen 3 start exploding (and S & X have been selling well in the meantime).
Beyond that for market cap, I don't have visibility yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.