Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ship with 1000 Models 3's are on route...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
seems odd to make more just to keep shareholders happy

As I understand it unsold cars isn't any use to Tesla for shareholders, only delivered, paid for, sales.

Traditional car dealership network might be different - e.g. "Ship to Dealer" may count as a [manufacturer] sale (I dunno if dealer has to pay for car, or if only once Customer has paid them ...)

If Tesla made foreign cars for a bit, with the aim of getting them on a boat for delivery towards end of Quarter, then they are not also making cars for USA in that interval ... so they can then prioritise "local USA deliveries" in last few weeks of Quarter, and they have a backlog of order (when they could not fulfil orders because they were making for foreign market)

Also, if they want to have a fire-sale / inducement, then if they do that in USA they can build-ship-sell quickly.

Had a call from Tesla today. I can't even remember much of what the lady said, I was that excited! ;-) [Big kid, I know]
But one thing did seem a bit odd..she must have said something along the lines of "We'll soon be in a position to arrange delivery", to which I replied that I was away on hols 22/6 until 1/7. I do recall her words after that: [paraphrased].."What if we can arrange delivery before you go?"
Sort of blew me away, that one.
That's 8 days from now. Where's the car then? :)

They get boni (bonusses) for deliveries in Q2 without any strings attached. 1/7 is in Q3...

8 days is just about enough time to get a car that's now in Zeebrugge (the Grand Dahlia just arrived). There are reportedly not that many RHD cars on it but there might be some (probably originally meant to become demo cars, but if they can make a buck...).

They get boni (bonusses) for deliveries in Q2 without any strings attached. 1/7 is in Q3...

8 days is just about enough time to get a car that's now in Zeebrugge (the Grand Dahlia just arrived). There are reportedly not that many RHD cars on it but there might be some (probably originally meant to become demo cars, but if they can make a buck...).
By 'strings attached' I assume you mean a punter that doesn't argue/harangue/quibble about having to pay the _original_ price before the reduction? I'm not doing that...£2,800... I'll wait a bit longer.

Had a call from Tesla today. I can't even remember much of what the lady said, I was that excited! ;-) [Big kid, I know]
But one thing did seem a bit odd..she must have said something along the lines of "We'll soon be in a position to arrange delivery", to which I replied that I was away on hols 22/6 until 1/7. I do recall her words after that: [paraphrased].."What if we can arrange delivery before you go?"
Sort of blew me away, that one.
That's 8 days from now. Where's the car then? :)

What spec did you order and do you have your final invoice showing on your manage page in your account?

What spec did you order and do you have your final invoice showing on your manage page in your account?
I ordered a P3D, MSM, B&W, FSD (although somewhat regretting the FSD now, tbh)...it's not showing as a Final Invoice on my Tesla account page yet though.
Maybe my comment about being away put her off and she'll try someone else who can take delivery before Quarter-end.

having to pay the _original_ price before the reduction?

Tesla don't do that sort of Dealer Tactics. Sales can only sell to you at list price (plus whatever inducements, such as free charging, that are currently on offer).

If you are entitled to price reduction (as I think you are) that's what you will pay. When price has dropped after order placed then in the past Tesla have honoured that reduction, and also not required payment of increase if the price went up - so win-win for customer.

Can't guaranty everything will be plain sailing on getting everyone on the same page though ... Tesla backoffice make Chaos look Neat ad Tidy :(

she'll try someone else who can take delivery before Quarter-end

If you can take delivery early, and have no problems with finance (and particular if you ahve ordered a software-only option, like FSD, which is "all bottom line" for Tesla) then Sales aren't going to offer it to someone else - that Other Person can't even pay top-dollar to gazump you such as a dealer might do

Tesla don't do that sort of Dealer Tactics. Sales can only sell to you at list price (plus whatever inducements, such as free charging, that are currently on offer).

If you are entitled to price reduction (as I think you are) that's what you will pay. When price has dropped after order placed then in the past Tesla have honoured that reduction, and also not required payment of increase if the price went up - so win-win for customer.

Can't guaranty everything will be plain sailing on getting everyone on the same page though ... Tesla backoffice make Chaos look Neat ad Tidy :(

If you can take delivery early, and have no problems with finance (and particular if you ahve ordered a software-only option, like FSD, which is "all bottom line" for Tesla) then Sales aren't going to offer it to someone else - that Other Person can't even pay top-dollar to gazump you such as a dealer might do

Yeah...that's all good. My only 'issue' if that turns out to be the case is:
Let's say that can deliver on 21/6. I'm paying cash, so shouldn't be an issue. A problem for me though, is I lose out on the "Return within 7days/1000 mile whichever comes first" 'offer'.. because I won't be here while that clock is ticking. Unless they agree to a postponement of the clock until I get back? That way...they get their money in Q2...and I don't lose out.
Not that I intend to invoke that clause obviously...but I'm just looking after my own interests, as it were.

So the RHD stock on the Grand Mark lines up with the VIN assignment. 970ish RHD VIN's were registered the day the Grand Mark set sail on the 31st May.

The Grand Mark takes 19 days to get to Zebrugge. Probably another 8 to 14 days until the cars are ready for customers to collect.

Since the 31st of May there have been no more RHD VIN's. Zip. In total I recon it's only around 1250ish production RHD VIN's so far (ignoring the few production test runs a few months back) so my order, in the region of 42xx in the UK, is quite far off.

I would suggest it's about 4 to 6 weeks from the VIN assignment to the pick-up *if* they don't find anything wrong with the car than needs quick fix before delivery.

So I think my 42xx order won't get a VIN for at least 2 to 3 weeks, then 4 to 6 weeks in transit means I won't see it before August. More likely mid-to-late August.

I think I'll stop checking the CTRL-U source every hour now.

They will want to deliver every car that is on the ground in europe before the end of June.

I wonder how many they can physically get from Port to Punter? Arrival of M3 is on the brink of the end of Q2 ... sure, priority for easy-punters so I would expect that if a Customer has finance delays etc. they will want to shift that car to someone lower down the chain. First customer with problems will then get theirs in July - the allocation was a straight swap with a later customer's car which is also already in EU

How many sites are making deliveries?

How many cars can the PDI / hand-over in a day?

6 days a week?

Then you are surely going to want a September delivery for the new plate and slightly better residual value. Not such an issue if planning to keep the car very long term of course.

I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make. I personally only look at the registration year and month when looking at used cars. The plate is incidental.

Although a 69 plate will have slightly better residual humour.

I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make. I personally only look at the registration year and month when looking at used cars. The plate is incidental.

Although a 69 plate will have slightly better residual humour.

It makes a significant difference because most book price guides are based on year, plate and mileage rather than specific months. So late August will always be a price bracket down from early September. I'm not saying it's life or death, but I certainly wouldn't want a very late August delivery on a car that I would be selling used a few years later.

Reactions: KennethS
There are reports of some deliveries being scheduled at Tesla Heathrow as early as next weekend.

Needs to be, I reckon, as any later and it aint going to be a Q2 sale

I certainly wouldn't want a very late August delivery on a car that I would be selling used a few years later.

The very first 2nd hand RHD M3 is going to be virtually 01-July ... I'm not sure anyone, at the front of the queue to buy 2nd hand, is going to care about 01-July vs. 01-September, there aren't going to be many of that age/mileage in the marketplace.

But for anyone for whom it makes no difference best to wait.

Perhaps that is the game Tesla are playing - Elon : "Surely no one in UK buys cars in August? Ship in July and then don't bother again until 01-Sep" ?

I could understand the S when it first came to UK, but the 3 is a high volume car, why would someone buy 2nd hand at a markup just to pick it up 2 months earlier?

Sorry, I didn't mean that

If you own an early M3 and sell it when it is two years old with, say, 20,000 miles on the clock then someone wanting to buy it has very limited choice of 2 years + 20,000 mile cars available. At that point I'm not sure that 69 / 20 plate difference will matter much to the buyer.

Reactions: Roy W. and ediflyer