Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting a lower limit of charge when traveling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to Tesla and will be doing a trip to Illinois over the TG weekend. When I use the Tesla planner it often takes me down to 10% or less charge. Is there a way to set this so that it would keep the lower estimate at a minimum of 15 or 20%

thanks

There isn't, and I totally understand your concern. It's very natural when you first switch to an EV to suffer what people refer to as "range anxiety", but it will definitely pass with time and experience.

In my ICE vehicle, I'm unlikely to stop for gas at a quarter tank (with gas stations being so ubiquitous). In my Model 3, I've learned to trust the navigation system.

I'm some cases, I've cut it pretty close. On one long drive to a neighboring city I wasn't using the navigation the entire time. On the way home, I flipped it on and realized I'd need to hit the supercharger and it'd be down to 0% when I got there... it might've even dipped to -1% for a time. I just slowed down and turned off the A/C. Got there with 2% to spare.

After that experience, I'm very comfortable hitting the supercharger with 5% or whatever left over. It's actually quite a large buffer. There's also a small unreported buffer below 0% (but don't rely on that).

One easy trick is that if the nav says you'll reach the next supercharger with 5%, you can just stay at the current supercharger for longer than it recommends. Please note that it *DOESN'T* update all of the estimates in realtime while sitting parked at the charger... but does update them once you start driving again.

Also, I'd actually rather get to the supercharger at a very low state of charge... it's much more efficient use of time, since it charges faster at those lower states.

Also be aware that the Tesla trip planner takes into account a LOT of factors and is pretty conservative by itself IMHO. Also, it looks like there are a number of Superchargers along your route? The trip planner will alert you if it made a mistake and thinks you should add a stop.

Also, you can plan out your own route using ABRP - I have found it to be very reliable, and in that one, you can stick in different minimum charge % - and also put in the speed you think you'll be driving, and even give yourself some efficiency penalty if you think you'll be driving through rain or whatnot.

When I use the Tesla planner it often takes me down to 10% or less charge.
I also don't like to cut it that close.
Is there a way to set this so that it would keep the lower estimate at a minimum of 15 or 20%
Don't pull the plug that soon.
When you're plugged in and have the navigation route plugged in, it will show the estimated % at arrival, which keeps moving as the car is charging. On the energy app screen there is a tab that says "Trip", and it shows a line graph with the endpoint % showing. That % will be continuously rising as the car fills more. I just wait until that estimate is a a bit higher, like in that 15-20% area before I unplug.

I suggest you use this app, which is available on both the web and as an app. Lots of things you can tweak.