Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's Korean CCS adapter will not work with US cars unless the US cars have a PLC modem in their chargeport ECU, which only existed in european Teslas. There is rumor tesla MAY have started shipping US cars with a CCS modem at some point last year; if so, then those cars could theoretically work with a CCS adapter after their software is enabled to do so, but the rest will still not work. At best, Tesla is waiting a year so enough people have them that they can release adaper and software update, and the complaints will be minimal when people realize only older cars don't work with it.

The SETEC definitely identifies itself to the Model 3 as CHADEMO confirmed in my logs.
I'm really holding out hope that Tesla just went with a single part for Model 3/Y when they released the EU versions that from the factory can work with CCS2. We know Tesla hates having different parts so hopefully they just haven't turned it on in software for the US release...

Reactions: JWardell
Tesla's Korean CCS adapter will not work with US cars unless the US cars have a PLC modem in their chargeport ECU, which only existed in european Teslas.
Do you know if this is the same limitation that required European Model S and X vehicles to have a hardware upgrade to work with the European Tesla/CCS2 adapter? If so, then perhaps a comparable upgrade for older Model 3/Y vehicles in the US might be possible, if Tesla could be convinced to offer them. (OTOH, there are a million other variables, so maybe not....)

Do you know if this is the same limitation that required European Model S and X vehicles to have a hardware upgrade to work with the European Tesla/CCS2 adapter? If so, then perhaps a comparable upgrade for older Model 3/Y vehicles in the US might be possible, if Tesla could be convinced to offer them. (OTOH, there are a million other variables, so maybe not....)
I think this will largely depend on regulations... if there is a push federally to require chargers to work with all cars and all chargers to have at least one CCS plug than I suspect we'll see Tesla offer a retrofit. If there isn't any mandate like that but there is federal money offered for chargers that work with all cars, I think we'll see Tesla with superchargers that have both CCS and Tesla's plug and we probably won't have a retrofit.

I think this will largely depend on regulations... if there is a push federally to require chargers to work with all cars and all chargers to have at least one CCS plug than I suspect we'll see Tesla offer a retrofit. If there isn't any mandate like that but there is federal money offered for chargers that work with all cars, I think we'll see Tesla with superchargers that have both CCS and Tesla's plug and we probably won't have a retrofit.
I was referring to the hardware update to the Model S/X car to get Tesla's CCS2 adapter in Europe to work, not Tesla's switch to CCS2 on its Supercharger stations.

I was referring to the hardware update to the Model S/X car to get Tesla's CCS2 adapter in Europe to work, not Tesla's switch to CCS2 on its Supercharger stations.
Right, and I think a lot of that push for the retrofit was because the EU required Tesla to also have CCS2 plugs on their superchargers. Tesla might see a point where they don't install superchargers with both plugs and it was worth it to them to retrofit "recent" (a few year old) cars...

Right, and I think a lot of that push for the retrofit was because the EU required Tesla to also have CCS2 plugs on their superchargers. Tesla might see a point where they don't install superchargers with both plugs and it was worth it to them to retrofit "recent" (a few year old) cars...
All V3 Superchargers have only CCS cable in Europe. It's only the V2's that have dual cables. If you have a S or X in Europe, you must get the CCS adapter or complete CCS upgrade on your older car in order to use V3 Superchargers.

All V3 Superchargers have only CCS cable in Europe. It's only the V2's that have dual cables. If you have a S or X in Europe, you must get the CCS adapter or complete CCS upgrade on your older car in order to use V3 Superchargers.
There we go, even more reason for Tesla to offer a retrofit kit for older cars.

Unless that becomes a requirement in the USA (or there is money available to Tesla via federal programs) I don't see a retrofit being high on the list of things.

There we go, even more reason for Tesla to offer a retrofit kit for older cars.

Unless that becomes a requirement in the USA (or there is money available to Tesla via federal programs) I don't see a retrofit being high on the list of things.
In the European case, Tesla didn't create the CCS adapter so that their own customers could access someone else's charging network, they created it so that their customers could access all of the Tesla network. There is no internal motivation for Tesla to do anything with CCS in North America. I think they're only doing it in South Korea because the government there is paying for a significant charging network buildout and by providing the adapter, Tesla won't have to build out so many Superchargers. I hope that since the work is already done, that Tesla will make the CCS adapter available in North America.

In the European case, Tesla didn't create the CCS adapter so that their own customers could access someone else's charging network, they created it so that their customers could access all of the Tesla network. There is no internal motivation for Tesla to do anything with CCS in North America. I think they're only doing it in South Korea because the government there is paying for a significant charging network buildout and by providing the adapter, Tesla won't have to build out so many Superchargers. I hope that since the work is already done, that Tesla will make the CCS adapter available in North America.
I don't have any numbers at my fingertips, but my impression is that the growth in CCS stations in the US has been significantly greater than the growth in Supercharger stations. Thus, the same logic might apply to the US, although the details differ and the scale might well be much smaller (I've not studied the numbers in South Korea vs. the US). Still, even if it's less dramatic in the US, this might eventually encourage Tesla to market a CCS adapter and/or transition to CCS itself. Right now the incentive is probably smaller than the advantage provided by the Supercharger network, which is still superior in reliability and user experience to the CCS counterparts.

FWIW, I decided to buy a Setec CCS adapter a little over a week ago. I placed my order on June 20. After a few days, I asked for a tracking number, which is still (on June 28) showing as "label created," with no estimated delivery date. (The carrier is UPS.) Others in this thread have reported delivery times of a week or less, leading to the supposition that Setec has a US-based warehouse or shipping partner. If so, it looks like they've either become badly backlogged or they're currently out of stock and waiting for more product to arrive from China. This is not a complaint; it's just an FYI update for anybody who might be considering buying one.

Reactions: Lightbulb
Money speaks though. If in the next few years we see massive spending for EV charging and Tesla could have access to that money if built out any new stations as all CCS or a mix of CCS and Tesla connectors then we might see an adapter, just like in the EU. Tesla is already gearing up to allow 3rd party cars to charge in Norway so as to gain incentives for deploying chargers. I could easily see one of the requirements being if you want federal money for charger deployment you must support all vehicles, and CCS would likely be the standard. If they already have CCS only pedestals and cables for EU it would make sense that Tesla would probably just build more of those and start to deploy them over here too.

I would imagine it would be fairly easy at the factory to change the connector for the domestic market
But unlike in the EU, changing the connector to CCS on new cars here wound then require an adapter for Tesla level 2 EVSEs. So that ship has sailed. The best we will get is a CCS adapter that is limited to ~140kW. (And probably the same for the reverse; a Supercharger to CCS adapter for non-Tesla's with the same limit.)

Reactions: Rocky_H

All that's needed is to swap in a new chargeport ecu board, which would probably take mobile service 15 minutes. And probably some updated software. Not sure if there is a new north american-only chargeport board with CCS PLC modem, or they just use the euro board.

Reactions: theothertom
But unlike in the EU, changing the connector to CCS on new cars here wound then require an adapter for Tesla level 2 EVSEs. So that ship has sailed. The best we will get is a CCS adapter that is limited to ~140kW. (And probably the same for the reverse; a Supercharger to CCS adapter for non-Tesla's with the same limit.)
Tesla already provides the reverse of such an adapter with every Tesla sold, so as to enable owners to use public J1772 chargers. Third-party adapters to do exactly what you suggest already exist, and are used by non-Tesla owners to charge on Tesla Wall Connectors. (Here's just one example.) In a hypothetical world in which Tesla switched to CCS, I expect they'd provide such an adapter themselves, at least for a while until public Tesla Destination EVSEs were upgraded or became too small a percentage of Level 2 charging infrastructure to be worth considering. I kind of expect that a Tesla adapter of this sort would be more compact than the current third-party designs I've seen, but maybe there's a technical reason it has to be so klunky.

FWIW, I decided to buy a Setec CCS adapter a little over a week ago. I placed my order on June 20. After a few days, I asked for a tracking number, which is still (on June 28) showing as "label created," with no estimated delivery date. (The carrier is UPS.) Others in this thread have reported delivery times of a week or less, leading to the supposition that Setec has a US-based warehouse or shipping partner. If so, it looks like they've either become badly backlogged or they're currently out of stock and waiting for more product to arrive from China. This is not a complaint; it's just an FYI update for anybody who might be considering buying one.
An update: UPS is now showing the adapter as "on the way," with an estimated delivery date of Tuesday, July 6. If that estimate is accurate, it makes for a total of 16 days between ordering and delivery (one of them a national holiday). YMMV, of course.

An update: UPS is now showing the adapter as "on the way," with an estimated delivery date of Tuesday, July 6. If that estimate is accurate, it makes for a total of 16 days between ordering and delivery (one of them a national holiday). YMMV, of course.
Thanks for the update, it looks like we ordered on the same day.
FWIW, here is what I found for those that are having it shipped to Alberta, Canada.

It seems the same response from the UPS tracking as @srs5694 is getting that I'm getting. It took about 3 days until the "label created" changed and I never did trust the estimated delivery times because of the customs delays variance.
The tracking shows me that it comes from Hong Kong, and then goes to Japan, then KY, USA, then SD, USA, and then into Canada. One good thing is that while it is on its way to (or out of) Japan I received an email asking me to pay the import fees online. (Note: Make sure you have a UPS account created that matches the address it is shipping to and the UPS system on the backend will 'connect the dots'.)
SETEC sends this item as HS code 3926909990 (Articles of Plastic, other) which has a duty to be paid and there are of course taxes and other brokerage fees.
Though I'm in Alberta which only charges GST (5%) tax it will be different in other provinces but here is the breakdown for the import fees.

UPS Customs & Brokerage Charges: 10.50
Government Chargers: 67.21
...Duty 36.94
...GST 30.27

For a total import fee of $77.71 CAD.

The UPS tracking claims it is to arrive by end of today but I am very doubtful that it will so let's say tomorrow which makes it about 10 days delivery time.
(Ignore that it is shipping using UPS Worldwide Express Saver, seems like there are many other variables in play here)
Hope that helped.

Reactions: Lightbulb
I kind of expect that a Tesla adapter of this sort would be more compact than the current third-party designs I've seen, but maybe there's a technical reason it has to be so klunky.
The original plan at Tesla was for the electrical protocol for Superchargers to be compatible with CCS. This was explained at the initial rollout EVent for the Model S in Fremont. This was planned to enable a simple mechanical adapter like we have for J-1772 to Tesla connectors and unlike with the klunky CHAdeMO adapter which requires extensive electrical and digital protocol conversions.
I don't know whether the CCS or Supercharger protocols changed since then but I certainly hope it will be easy. Unfortunately, given the Tesla-obstructionist nature of CCS development, this probably won't be the case. We can always hope though.