Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While the Tesla charging network is quite widespread and the Tesla charging experience is excellent, one thing missing from their charging strategy right now is partnerships. I would like to see them offer Superchargers at stores/restaurants/gas stations with continental reach. Not a full bank of chargers at each location - maybe just 1 to 4 - but available all over the place. If their current network were filled in with that addition, we would not be talking about CCS adapters or any other adapters: there would be no need.
I agree , there is a need for dc fast chargers in rural areas or major towns not served by an interstate. Green new Deal baby!

Reactions: TydalForce
While the Tesla charging network is quite widespread and the Tesla charging experience is excellent, one thing missing from their charging strategy right now is partnerships. I would like to see them offer Superchargers at stores/restaurants/gas stations with continental reach. Not a full bank of chargers at each location - maybe just 1 to 4 - but available all over the place. If their current network were filled in with that addition, we would not be talking about CCS adapters or any other adapters: there would be no need.
That's as close to the destination network as you can get, without actually talking about it. I wish Tesla would focus more on it again and push hard. There's no reason every major hotel chain doesn't have a couple destination chargers at this point and that major mall management companies haven't placed 10 to 20 destination chargers in parking lots of all their malls.

I think Tesla used to provide equipment for free but has now reverted back to charging for the equipment and just allowing the "promotion" of having your location in the nav and on their website. Would be nice if Tesla instead worked to secure national deals that would roll out 500+ locations at a hotel chain with 2 destination chargers each or something and provide equipment for free and maybe even cover all or a fixed amount of the install cost. More superchargers all the time, but destination chargers can be extremely powerful to travel and just living somewhere too. If installed with sufficient power, almost all new Tesla cars (except SR+) could pull 11.5kW (or 10kW if on 208), if you're staying at a hotel, you're charged overnight. If watching a two hour movie, you've probably done 25kWh by the time you park, go in, enjoy the movie, and come back out. If some big restaurant chains that had hundreds or thousands of locations across the US worked with Tesla to deploy destination chargers and grocery stores like Kroger, Albertsons, and maybe even Target and/or Walmart deployed some at all their locations, you would have thousands of locations for people that live in condos or apartments to charge at. It might not be ideal, but spend an hour shopping a week, two hours catching a movie, and maybe an hour or two out to dinner each week and that might cover almost all your charging needs for local travel. Add in like three or four times the current amount of hotel locations and you have an extremely powerful network. I'm really hoping Tesla pushes hard now that they're thinking about allowing billing through the destination network. I wouldn't mind paying $0.20/kWh at a destination charger if they were everywhere. (I would imagine demand costs would also be MUCH lower for the host and/or Tesla with a handful of destination chargers, so $0.15 or $0.20/kWh in a lot of areas might actually still make them a nice little profit)

Rocky is correct, several partnerships.
Target
Hy-Vee
Mejiers
WaWa
Scheetz
Fred Meyer

Yeah, I was thinking of Meijer pretty specifically from my trip on I-70 in 2018, where just about every consecutive one across a few states is at a Meijer grocery store. Terra Haute, IN, Richmond, IN, Dayton, OH, both of them in Toledo, OH, Ann Arbor, MI.... All of those are at Meijer grocery stores.

They aren't missing; they DO have partnerships, but there just are not that many companies that are actually across the entire continent, as you desire. They have partnerships with some grocery store chains, but those do tend to be large regional ones that cover maybe 10 to a dozen states in the U.S.
Yep....Hy-Vee, Meijer, Sheetz to name a few.
I would like see more of that, especially partnerships with truck stops, like Loves, Pilot, Flying J, etc. These tend to be located right off the interstate and have decent restroom and snack options. BTW, Electrify America is doing just that with Loves.
Bottom line, though, Tesla needs more chargers, especially in out of the way locations. Then there would be no need for an adapter.

They aren't missing; they DO have partnerships, but there just are not that many companies that are actually across the entire continent, as you desire. They have partnerships with some grocery store chains, but those do tend to be large regional ones that cover maybe 10 to a dozen states in the U.S.

Rocky is correct, several partnerships.
Target
Hy-Vee
Mejiers
WaWa
Scheetz
Fred Meyer
Are those Tesla Supercharger locations or Tesla destination chargers? Unfortunately, we have not been down in the U.S. since delivery of our Model 3, as we received it in about a year ago and travel was already restricted by that point, and continues to be, so I am not fully aware of the situation there. Destination chargers are useful, but my original post was actually about Superchargers. If those U.S. partners are offering Supercharging, that's wonderful - although based on some further comments here, availability at many more locations would be great.

In Canada, there would be any number of potential Tesla partners with reach right across the country. There is a Tim Horton's in just about every town of any significant size, and along major and even secondary highways. Canadian Tire is all over the place (currently offering fast charging in some locations, but only CCS and CHAdeMO). Petro-Canada is right across the country and has already installed fast charging at strategic locations (again only CCS and CHAdeMO). The various convenience store chains have locations everywhere, and some have announced plans for fast charging, but I have not seen any indication that those will be Tesla Superchargers. So Tesla definitely would have some partnership possiblitites which it, so far, has not pursued (or if it has pursued them, not realized on). Ironically, some of those potential partners are already building networks for electric vehicles that, for the most part, do not even exist yet, since Tesla dominates the market. A strange situation, and not a great one from the perspective of a Tesla owner.

Last edited:
Are those Tesla Supercharger locations or Tesla destination chargers? Unfortunately, we have not been down in the U.S. since delivery of our Model 3, as we received it in about a year ago and travel was already restricted by that point, and continues to be, so I am not fully aware of the situation there. Destination chargers are useful, but my post was actually about Superchargers.

Those are all Supercharger partners.

Add Kum & Go gas stations and convenience stores to the list of Supercharger partners. Also Casey’s General Store.

2D41C3B8-7BBD-484A-8DDF-BDCF60A05A4D.jpeg
F5ECADA3-CF7C-421D-9E7F-0286DB64EFFF.jpeg

This has gotten pretty off topic for the Setec CCS adapter thread. My apologies.

Reactions: brkaus
Those are all Supercharger partners.

Add Kum & Go gas stations and convenience stores to the list of Supercharger partners. Also Casey’s General Store.

This has gotten pretty off topic for the Setec CCS adapter thread. My apologies.
Thanks! That's interesting and a very good development. I wish we had the same thing developing here in Canada.

I do think that the issue is relevant to a CCS adapter thread, as it relates to the very need for such adapters.

Per , looks like EA juice will be free this weekend.

Thanks for posting this, it's actually incredibly helpful! I have to run some tests with the SETEC and have been struggling to think of CCS locations that won't charge me a bunch for a handful of one-minute sessions. I think the mall EVGos around here are $5 a session, and the EAs are normally crazy. Perfect day to test it out!

just to touch on the whole charger topic.

I didn’t see anyone mention urban Superchargers as possibilities for places that maybe don’t need or can’t support full v2/v3 super chargers. They are 72/kWh so good for restaurants, parks or shopping centres. I wish my city had those as I know we aren’t getting a v2/v3 supercharger anytime soon

I am excited to get a setec adapter just for piece of mind, but by the looks of it, in early 2022, most of the routes I do in western Canada will have super chargers completed.

Hahaha, stopped at my local EA today, or at least tried to. It's in a paid parking garage, which was FULL and entrance blocked off. Brilliant, guys. Yet another reason why I hate EA and Tesla putting chargers in paid garages around here.
I'll try again soon.
Oof! Definitely check Plugshare before venturing out to use any public charging. It might've noted at least the paid parking portion. And, you're free to check in with your experience. (I normally do for all public charging I use, both good and bad experiences.)

Reactions: Big Earl
EA Actually called me to discuss my report of the closed parking garage, they are following up with the property owner, how nice.

So I went back again this evening and the garage was open. (Only) three EA stalls, Mach-E charging in one, parked in another. Went to plug in and...UNAVAILABLE across the screen. Then I looked at the other stall. Unavailable as well! I waited a few more minutes but nope. Two out of three stalls broken.

This is what everyone else has to put up with. Better customer service doesn't make up for complete lack of charger availability!

I might try to drive to another site tomorrow.

And yeah, I reported the problems both times, in both EA app and Plugshare. Everyone needs to know this is not right if there is any chance of improving things in the future!
(I don't mean to lean off topic...I'm just trying to log several tests of the Setec charger!)

EA Actually called me to discuss my report of the closed parking garage, they are following up with the property owner, how nice.

So I went back again this evening and the garage was open. (Only) three EA stalls, Mach-E charging in one, parked in another. Went to plug in and...UNAVAILABLE across the screen. Then I looked at the other stall. Unavailable as well! I waited a few more minutes but nope. Two out of three stalls broken.

This is what everyone else has to put up with. Better customer service doesn't make up for complete lack of charger availability!

I might try to drive to another site tomorrow.

And yeah, I reported the problems both times, in both EA app and Plugshare. Everyone needs to know this is not right if there is any chance of improving things in the future!
(I don't mean to lean off topic...I'm just trying to log several tests of the Setec charger!)
This is actually another reason I’ve thought about. Tesla may be perfectly happy with their supercharger build out and don’t need or even WANT customers relying on 3rd party. I could see a lot of bad word of mouth and social media posting from people that aren’t real familiar with charging cars and Tesla in general. If you have people that rely on EA in their city for their primary charging, or travel and get stuck at EA chargers, they may not understand one is owned and operated by Tesla and the other by a 3rd party, they might just see that owning an electric car is a hassle, left them stranded, and is scary.

I don’t think that would be terrible when it comes to Tesla sales numbers, but at the same time it’s not great to have that running around as experience from owners…

Tesla does seem to have some sort of arrangement with EVgo though. Some EVgo "50 kW" stations are displayed on the Tesla nav screen. And EVgo must have worked with Tesla on the CHAdeMO adapter variants (e.g., metal boxed, longer cables, etc.) that are mounted on the so-equipped charging stations.

Tesla does seem to have some sort of arrangement with EVgo though. Some EVgo "50 kW" stations are displayed on the Tesla nav screen. And EVgo must have worked with Tesla on the CHAdeMO adapter variants (e.g., metal boxed, longer cables, etc.) that are mounted on the so-equipped charging stations.
Yes.

Unfortunately, at one of the locations, the pic on Plugshare showing the CHAdeMO adapter inside the metal box was removed. It looked just like the retail ones. I'm guessing EVgo took it down.

But yes, obviously, the Tesla cable on these special ones is much longer than the retail units.

• Informative
Reactions: WarEagleGo
The SETEC definitely identifies itself to the Model 3 as CHADEMO confirmed in my logs.
Fascinating. If I understand you correctly, the SETEC CCS1 to Tesla adapter is adapting (or spoofing) CHAdeMO, then adapting the to Tesla charging protocols so the Tesla functions as if being charged via a CHAdeMO adapter?

I wonder if that in itself will limit charge rate on our 2012 Signature Edition P85 even thought we recently put a new 90kWh battery in it. I've charged at upto 120kW at V2 & V3 Superchargers, but so far, 55kW at a 250kW Electricity America charger. To be fair, I was at 81% SOC then and just wanted to know if the adapter worked with our car. It does. 😎

I'll need to try it sometime at a lower SOC. I'm just glad to have more charging options when I travel outside of the Supercharger Network.

Reactions: M109Rider
Success!! And also...not.

I returned to the Somerville EA chargers today, and all three were open, with the same two broken, so I backed into the working one. You have to back in an angle and almost touch the charger with your car because the cables are not long enough to reach across normally! :rolleyes:

I made SEVERAL attempts to charge and they all failed. It would connect and spend a minute negotiating, the car would always say "ready to charge" but the EA would often fail with Timeout waiting for car. Two times though I DID get a bit further, and I heard the car close the supercharger contactors, and EA fans ramp up...but never saw any power on the screen. It would then eventually fail with Timeout waiting for isolation test on the EA screen.
This is one of the older BTC Power EA stations.

Good thing I'm not actually relying on this for travel!

So I decided to waste much more time and drive all the way up to Burlington to try the newer EA station at the mall.

Same story though! Only three EA chargers (and a Model 3 plugged into the chademo!!), two in use, I plugged into the available one. Same exact issues as above. I tried both plugging into the car first or plugging in the cable first. Same two errors. These were also BTC Power chargers. Avoid!

I drove over to the single EVgo charger which thankfully was available. This is a very old 50kW ABB charger. Took my chances getting charged a $5 per session fee. Plugged in and activated with my chargepoint app. And it immediately started charging at 46kW! Finally success!!
I stopped it after 30 seconds in hopes of avoiding any charges though.

So there you go, as we well know CCS chargers are incredibly temperamental and fraught with incompatibilities, especially with Electrify America. Do NOT rely on them!

I will check my CAN logs to see if I can tell what is going on, and will try to ask Setec to look at logs downloaded from the adapter too.

IMG_2241.jpeg