Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service centers and the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think @hockeythug's point is that the service experience will only decline with hundreds of thousands of more Tesla vehicles on the roads and Tesla, up to this point, has been unable to open new service centers at a comparable pace.

I think it's a pretty reasonable concern.

Thank you. I am aware of Tesla's customer service rating and how they take care of unique situations. I am also aware of third party body repair shops having to wait weeks to get replacement parts.

Thank you. I am aware of Tesla's customer service rating and how they take care of unique situations. I am also aware of third party body repair shops having to wait weeks to get replacement parts.
Yes. It took a while to get body panels to those body shops for a while. Not, as you seem to intimate, because Tesla didn't want their certified partners in repair to do so, though. It was because they had other priorities. When the Model S was introduced, Tesla expected to build perhaps 15,000 of them per year. In the first 4-1/2 years of its existence they sold better than 11 years worth of cars at that rate. So, yeah, when you make a fender, it's a lot easier and smarter to decide to stick it on a new car to satisfy a Customer in an ever growing queue of those waiting to take delivery than it is to drop one in a crate to send to a repair shop via LTL carrier. Because the revenue earned for a complete vehicle is vastly more than that from a single component, if you are doing things the right way. If cars were being wrecked at a faster rate than people were buying them, things may have been different. Priorities.

Reactions: Bgarret
Thank you. I am aware of Tesla's customer service rating and how they take care of unique situations.
Yes. You are aware because it has been pointed out to you multiple times. What you refuse to acknowledge is that this is a ubiquitous happenstance, not a 'unique' one. There is no indication that Tesla will at any point resort to Service practices that will have the opposite effect.

You also ignore the simple fact that Tesla has not been allowed to fully expand their own Sales and Service operations to the level they would prefer. Something tells me your concerns would have been addressed in full regarding the readiness and availability of official sources of service if not for roadblocks erected by General Motors and NADA since 2013 in at least 24 States.

Instead you complain that they should have independent representation for Service, then mock those that present evidence that is on the agenda and in process already well ahead of the Model ≡ release. So your stated position seems to be rather disingenuous.

If you really want to get service on Tesla products at Pep-Boys, Sears, or Walmart, contact those companies and express the business case. Then do the same for Midas, AAMCO, NAPA, AutoZone, and whomever else would be convenient to you to offer parts. And if you wreck your car on a regular basis, please do contact your favorite, most trusted body shop and request that they become a Certified Tesla Repair Center.

I am also aware of third party body repair shops having to wait weeks to get replacement parts.

One supercharge away from my nearest service center, two in winter. Number one questions I get asked from potential buyers, even ones with M3 reservations, is “where do you get them serviced” then when I say Boston they look down and away, every time. They can’t align my wheels in my garage and no shop nearby has the computer codes to do it. M3 needs to arrive with (be followed by) a repair shop onslaught like MS was followed by Superchargers.

I myself am 267m away from the nearest service center. So what.
I'm still buying the car.
They will come to me and I have no worries about it.
No they won't. I'm half the distance and I have to take the S in for a 12V battery replacement.

Now if the car is completely dead and roadside assistance is involved, that's a different story. But for maintenance and minor warranty repairs, you're SOL.

@tga, that's because you're under the limit of 250m away. I'm over that. Yes, they will come out and called the service center in Boston to confirm it.

Yes, but isn't there a per mile fee to use the ranger service now?

As a side note, I can't seem to find any references on Tesla's current website to the ranger service. I wonder if it will even be an option for the Model 3.

@tga, that's because you're under the limit of 250m away. I'm over that. Yes, they will come out and called the service center in Boston to confirm it.
I'm confused. Your location says CT - there's no place in CT that's 250 miles from a service center (NY, Milford, or Boston).

Yes, but isn't there a per mile fee to use the ranger service now?

As a side note, I can't seem to find any references on Tesla's current website to the ranger service. I wonder if it will even be an option for the Model 3.
I don't think rangers are an option anymore. I wasn't offered ranger service to swap the 12V (I asked). Best they could do was pick it up, bring it to Dedham for the work, and return it. And that would have been a $300 fee, even for warranty work (or something like that - ~140 miles each way).

I'm confused. Your location says CT - there's no place in CT that's 250 miles from a service center (NY, Milford, or Boston).

I don't think rangers are an option anymore. I wasn't offered ranger service to swap the 12V (I asked). Best they could do was pick it up, bring it to Dedham for the work, and return it. And that would have been a $300 fee, even for warranty work (or something like that - ~140 miles each way).
I really hope the 12V stuff is addressed in the Model 3.