Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More Reuters bad news coming?

$1.6 million P190 for this week just came in. Seems someone thinks we move more down from here?
(or is that a sell?)

View attachment 1045401

Ask means buy (+p)
1715190825735.png

1715190728309.png

no one knows if this is
  • +p190 expecting a close below 174.15
  • closing a -p190
🤷‍♂️

• Helpful
Reactions: SpaceXaddict
I used to roll when my strike was threatened but I usually don't anymore. What is functionally happening when you wait to roll until your strike is threatened/passed is that after selling the contract at a low price, you've waited for a higher price to deleverage (higher strike, farther exp = less leverage). That's the opposite of the goal of leveraging up on lows and deleveraging at highs.

Most of the time, the SP comes back at some point well before your expiration but you're forced to sit on your hands and wait, even when the original contract might have expired. Even worse, then you might want to roll back in because the stock looks weak again - so now you leverage up at a less favorable price than you deleveraged at, compounding the loss as you end up at a strike worse than your original one.
This was an extremely insightful response, and it has taken awhile for it to sink in.

This ordeal, has exposed that while I'm happy sitting on my hands for years when long the stock, I can't abide an options position that's gone against me. Which causes me to manage it when things are at their worse. If I had waited a week, my earlier position would have been a lot easier to manage.

I'm not sure how to fix that.

One thing I have done is started selling weekly puts at or below the strike of my longer dated short calls. Thus collect more premium each week to dig out of the hole, and if the puts go into the money then the calls will have declined and hopefully easier to manage.

Sort of a diagonal strangle.

If the puts go ITM then I am fine exercising because I get shares, and if I want, I can roll them.

Schwab is a ridiculous dumpster fire.

Switched all I could to IAB. Stuck at Schwab with my retirement account. Simply trying to bring up my positions up hurts my eyes.

TD Ameritrade was about as good as it get, especially TOS.

This happened because the gods hate us. No other explanation.

Years ago I was trading AAPL leaps. I had a bullish call spread, out of the money but with over a year left on it.

They liquidated my account with a margin call because they claimed the further OTM strike's price was higher than the closer to the money strike!

No "provide liquidity", no warning, I just woke up to an email and they had stolen my money.

I will never do business with Interactive Brokers again.

I can't abide an options position that's gone against me. Which causes me to manage it when things are at their worse. If I had waited a week, my earlier position would have been a lot easier to manage.

I'm not sure how to fix that.
The only way I’m able to hang onto an ITM contract without that psychological stress is by already considering the shares sold at that strike when I sell the option.

If it comes back down, great, patience paid off. If it stays flat, roll week to week and bank $50-100 income per contract per week. If it goes way up and gets called away, that sucks, but at least the rest of my uncovered shares are up.

Years ago I was trading AAPL leaps. I had a bullish call spread, out of the money but with over a year left on it.

They liquidated my account with a margin call because they claimed the further OTM strike's price was higher than the closer to the money strike!

No "provide liquidity", no warning, I just woke up to an email and they had stolen my money.

I will never do business with Interactive Brokers again.
I can agree with you on IBKR, that is the one platform where I've had a lot of my stock assignments, even through they were far out in time, but to be fair they were also ITM, but regardless that is not the case on TD and I have yet to get assigned, even if my options go ITM, atleast not yet. So recently I transferred all my accounts out of IBKR and have moved it over to TastyTrade just to check out the platform.

Reactions: SpaceXaddict
Rolled 100x -180 to next week for +$2.4 to straddle with the 100x -c180 sold earlier for $2.6 for a nice round $5

So a slightly better position than the inverse strangle -c175/-p180 this week, next step is to evolve to a regular strangle going forwards
You are relentless! I've been sweating (not much) 5 170p and was sweating 5 185CC. I appreciate your insight into getting out of trades that don't go your way. I bought 140 calls to 2x 160 calls to get them closer to strike. I can roll them out to next week for a small credit and wait for a chance to roll them up and combine with 155 puts to get some to 162.5 and slowly ladder up. I also rolled some 20 July 210 calls out to 10 December 210 calls and giving me 10 more weekly's to sell. If we blast up to 300, I'll be happy and can roll those 10 out to 2026. Realizing you don't need to roll one for one, or call for call is enlightening. I'm not sure it would have helped during the Hertz to twitter roller coaster, but I could have gotten out of some long term CC's that limited my weekly opportunities the last 2 years.

Out of curiousity, do you write out ideas to think through some of the math in the creative rolls? I used to write down my weekly profits, but found it encouraged me to maximize profit, at the expense of risk. I'll never imitate your trading style, but understanding different traders thought and thinking processes has really helped my improve my results, even as TSLA has floundered.

Reactions: Max Plaid
Market traded flat mostly today.

Seem poised for some big catalyst with the Fear Indicator going on.

Waiting for the flush down before going Long. Safer.
Put/call ratio for SPY May 17 is pretty high, yet VIX is falling.. I think the PUT buyers are going to win, but it could have just been MM taking advantage of fear.. Hedgies still taking money off the table, in some large amounts so maybe they are just freeing up some powder for the impending buying opportunity.

Put/call ratio for SPY May 17 is pretty high, yet VIX is falling.. I think the PUT buyers are going to win, but it could have just been MM taking advantage of fear.. Hedgies still taking money off the table, in some large amounts so maybe they are just freeing up some powder for the impending buying opportunity.
Told myself just to wait it out. Let the cards played out.

Once the path are cleared and bottom are hit just go Long via Bull Spread. 1:5 ratio. Into July.

17x down to 15x aint much but 15x to 25x are a much better play.

You are relentless! I've been sweating (not much) 5 170p and was sweating 5 185CC. I appreciate your insight into getting out of trades that don't go your way. I bought 140 calls to 2x 160 calls to get them closer to strike. I can roll them out to next week for a small credit and wait for a chance to roll them up and combine with 155 puts to get some to 162.5 and slowly ladder up. I also rolled some 20 July 210 calls out to 10 December 210 calls and giving me 10 more weekly's to sell. If we blast up to 300, I'll be happy and can roll those 10 out to 2026. Realizing you don't need to roll one for one, or call for call is enlightening. I'm not sure it would have helped during the Hertz to twitter roller coaster, but I could have gotten out of some long term CC's that limited my weekly opportunities the last 2 years.

Out of curiousity, do you write out ideas to think through some of the math in the creative rolls? I used to write down my weekly profits, but found it encouraged me to maximize profit, at the expense of risk. I'll never imitate your trading style, but understanding different traders thought and thinking processes has really helped my improve my results, even as TSLA has floundered.
Patience is very key and although we are in a volatile stock, ITM trades often go OTM in a few weeks - not an absolute given, waiting for any -p260's sold last December would have been a nasty experience, but generally speaking

Also I've the habit now to be well hedged, buying puts as both a downside protection as well as a trading vehicle has changed my mentality, removed a lot of emotion from my decisions - still make wrong choices, like thinking the SP would dump further after ER, but logically speaking I still stand by that and would probably do the same in the future, although then the idea of taking good profit when it's presented rather than holding out for more is something to balance

I've also a bit adapted my goals and am more focused on capital preservation and growth, looking less at the total portfolio value and trying to build my cash up to a certain point, and then look to de-risk all the DOTM +cLEAPS and start to buy-back the -pLEAPS over time, but first Insist on a $amount of cash before doing that

I rarely write down the trade ideas, rather I tend to open multiple browser tabs in OptionStrat for the current and future positions, then I play about with the strike to find what I think is the best I can get - I also look as to whether it's worth my while to wait until 0DTE, etc., what if the stock moves up, down, will I gain or lose

I do track all of my trades in an Excel sheet and see the current YTD replied profit/loss, my broker doesn't track any of this and I need to do it anyway for tax declaration