Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First the good news. I retired today after a consulting engineering career of 30 years and 18 years with my current company, most of it as a Director and owner. Retiring was only made possible thanks to investing in TSLA and particularly the knowledge gained in this thread giving me the confidence that I could continue to earn in retirement.

Now the bad news. I was greedy and not thinking rationally in the second week after Elon started selling. I sold way too many BPS, too close with the strikes and they went deeply ITM at the end of that week when everything went South. I've spent the intervening weeks rolling (largest positions at 1000/1060) trying to buy time for a sustained recovery but the rolling is eating into my cash balances and net liquidity. My main problem is that the portfolio margin IB uses (the only margin they have here) is effectively locking down my accounts, preventing me from earning extra premium. BPS, BCS and even CC's now require a large amount of maintenance margin (BCS/CC are normally negative margin) and I'm already tight. So the rolling eats into cash and I realise if this keeps up for several weeks, my account could effectively bleed out.

I'm mostly rolled out to next week so have some time to wait for a slight recovery. However I'm coming to the realisation I will need to trim back my positions, at least until the margin lets me trade my way forward. This is likely to be expensive and cut very deeply into my overall portfolio. At this stage I will still have enough to work with even at a max loss as long as I can act and soon, hopefully on a partial recovery. I fully expect the stock will rebound sharply in coming weeks but I just can't risk everything waiting on that. I'll be trying everything I know to get the best out of this current position (split rolls, roll down to expire, protective puts etc) and am trying to maintain a positive attitude. I know I can rebuild, but it will take time as it will be done much more conservatively. So be safe everyone, we'll get through this and don't get greedy.

So how is your trading going? ...
- Better don't ask

Screenshot_20211217_154952.png

[BornToFly Said: Sold BCS 1100/1300 for 12/23 at the open. I don't see busting through 1100 next week with Elon selling 2 (or 3?) more days in the next two weeks. Will sell more if there is a pop end of day or Monday,]

Oops - missed the quote. We were eyeing up something similar, but want an intraday move upward of at least 2-3% before putting BCS on. Agree we don't blow through $1100 by year end as Elon's selling and macros are likely to keep TSLA's price down.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
First the good news. I retired today after a consulting engineering career of 30 years and 18 years with my current company, most of it as a Director and owner. Retiring was only made possible thanks to investing in TSLA and particularly the knowledge gained in this thread giving me the confidence that I could continue to earn in retirement.

Now the bad news. I was greedy and not thinking rationally in the second week after Elon started selling. I sold way too many BPS, too close with the strikes and they went deeply ITM at the end of that week when everything went South. I've spent the intervening weeks rolling (largest positions at 1000/1060) trying to buy time for a sustained recovery but the rolling is eating into my cash balances and net liquidity. My main problem is that the portfolio margin IB uses (the only margin they have here) is effectively locking down my accounts, preventing me from earning extra premium. BPS, BCS and even CC's now require a large amount of maintenance margin (BCS/CC are normally negative margin) and I'm already tight. So the rolling eats into cash and I realise if this keeps up for several weeks, my account could effectively bleed out.

I'm mostly rolled out to next week so have some time to wait for a slight recovery. However I'm coming to the realisation I will need to trim back my positions, at least until the margin lets me trade my way forward. This is likely to be expensive and cut very deeply into my overall portfolio. At this stage I will still have enough to work with even at a max loss as long as I can act and soon, hopefully on a partial recovery. I fully expect the stock will rebound sharply in coming weeks but I just can't risk everything waiting on that. I'll be trying everything I know to get the best out of this current position (split rolls, roll down to expire, protective puts etc) and am trying to maintain a positive attitude. I know I can rebuild, but it will take time as it will be done much more conservatively. So be safe everyone, we'll get through this and don't get greedy.
You could look into buying some cheap puts. Look at how your accounts margin would be impacted by buying Dec 23 700P for example.

Doom and gloom in this thread this morning. Maybe that's a good sign.

With the lower open today, I gave up and rolled my remaining BPS for this week out (they were all at 830-930, was hoping to sneak those into closing today so i could open something significantly lower). I didn't really want to have to babysit them, and with opening in the teens, i was very wary of an early assignment.

Went out 2 weeks to 12/31 (mostly because i'm on vacation next week and don't want to babysit them) and got a decent strike improvement to 800-900 with a nice $10 credit. I know the volatility can be painful, but in some ways it's also really nice (as long as you can stay away from the edges).

You could look into buying some cheap puts. Look at how your accounts margin would be impacted by buying Dec 23 700P for example.
Yeah, I've already been buying Puts then rolling them down to the next week. I'm favouring doing an inter-week roll on some of the BPS. Say roll a bunch of 1000/1060 into 2x 890/950 (or similar) and add in as many cheap Puts as needed to manage the margin. The aim of this would be to get a minimal cost roll that then either lets the BPS expire that week on a run up or else get to a credit roll position. It will still cost me but I expect it is more preferable than paying full price to close. Anyone got any better ideas?

Well, I've done it and rolled my completely ITM bps to even more ITM. Probably a bad idea, but let's see how this will play out.. and of course now the stock starts climbing.
I went from -p1150/+p950 to -p1250/+p1050, slight credit, slightly lowering my maintenance margin.

I do have a bunch of bps -900/+700, those I will let run for now, good chance they will expire worthless.. still some theta left. So there's that.

I loaded up on ITM puts a few weeks back (1100-1150), so my margin is not happy.

Had 100x -950/850bps left for this week and kept struggling with the decision of whether to wait out on it or roll.

Today my margin was nearing 0, so started to roll grudgingly about an hour into the session.

Rolled to 1/7 & 1/14 50x @20 credit, cause I figured it’s hard to piss against the wi..Elon this year.

Then noticed the market was going up.
So, keeping 50x until later to see if I need to roll them. If not, that’ll be a nice margin cushion for the remainder of the year.

Impossible to rate this with the forum system, it's a melange of: ❤️ 😱 😢

Everyone can thank me later for my sacrifice to the Gods....
Same here. Sold 12/23 -c1005s at $11.80 near this morning’s peak. I now have a very tight strangle with the -p1000s I rolled into yesterday. one of those will win. You will forgive me for wanting a $1002.50 close next week.:eek::rolleyes:

Good luck to all. I’m struggling with management of my cash-secured puts and can’t even imagine what it’s like for those with larger accounts and BPS. I had to sell some shares and some 9/2022 -c1300s just to raise enough cash. Everything I do is fully backed, so I can only lose future profits, but it’s still nerve wracking.

I closed my 12/17 BPS -850/750s for pennies. I was only $50 shy of my profit target for the week with no managements needed, which I consider a big win with everything going on these days.

I currently have open 12/24 BPS -800/700s, which I bought on dips throughout this week.

NVDA 12/24 Iron Condors 320/335/235/220 @$2.40

I've been running similar weekly ICs on NVDA for the last 4 weeks with about 30 percent of the margin I would normally use on TSLA. NVDA's IV rank is currently at 100% so premiums and return on risk are great. I do follow the stock and have had a small position since 2018 so I feel I'm not trading it blind. And the CEO is not currently dumping millions of shares on random days, which is nice 🤪