Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self regeneration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a very vague statement and crude thought process. Part of my background is in diesel power generation. Engine runs, spin armature in a winding case, makes energy power. Simple concept, but when something goes wrong and diesel engine runs backwards, the armature spins backwards and it becomes the motor and keeps the engine spinning. WHAT IF? - there was some sort of "gear box" between the front axle and the "motor"? Under normal driving conditions, most cars only use 2 Wheel drive. This concept could use the front axle motor to run backwards and "generate power". Then when need arises, gear box changed the direction and it becomes a drive motor for the AWD action. What do you think?

What you're describing sounds like over unity. Whatever energy that device "creates", it uses more energy than that to operate... resulting in a net loss.

It doesn't work.

The reason the regen brakes work is that it's taking *waste* energy (kinetic energy that would normally be converted to heat via friction brakes).

You want to take *useful* energy from the battery, pump it through a motor and get *more* back, but you'll only every get less. Add to that the additional costs, points of failure, and weight.

What you're describing sounds like over unity. Whatever energy that device "creates", it uses more energy than that to operate... resulting in a net loss.

It doesn't work.

The reason the regen brakes work is that it's taking *waste* energy (kinetic energy that would normally be converted to heat via friction brakes).

You want to take *useful* energy from the battery, pump it through a motor and get *more* back, but you'll only every get less. Add to that the additional costs, points of failure, and weight.
Yes sir, totally agree. Like I said, random and crude. I didn't know someone has wondered or thought of it. Was hoping some way of making input greater then output. Much easier with a 12v battery using a 14.4v alternator.

I didn't know someone has wondered or thought of it.

This sounds to me like one of the various "perpetual motion" threads that spring up here from time to time. If you search this website (or even this subforum) for that term, you will likely find some threads where someone (usually a new poster or someone with low post count) has what they think is an epiphany about what amounts to some version of a perpetual motion machine.