Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

self presenting door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked how the doors would operate without the premium package and he responded:
image.jpeg

Looks like they didn't make any without the premium package

I've found that the auto-presenting doors work fine, except:

I've had to turn the feature off on my X. Each time I approach the car the door opens. It doesn't hit the garage wall, but I have to close it to get past and then open it again.

Today I was installing a seat back protector on the back of the front passenger seat. I had the fob in my pocket, and the driver's door kept opening, closing, opening, closing... It was the final straw for that feature (for me).

I agree with Farmer Dave - I have limited space in my garage, and having the door open automatically would be a nuisance. I also would not want the door opening automatically in public situations due to potential damage. I turned the feature OFF and it will stay OFF.

That said, having the door close when I lock the car with the fob is a nice feature. If with a lock-on-walkway, I'd still pause to verify closure as it doesn't always close completely.

The New 7.1 Owner's Guide is out.

The section Opening and Closing Front Doors from Outside Model X states
Model X doors are electrically powered. When you approach Model X carrying the key, all doors unlock. To open a door, press the handle. The door partially opens (between 20° and 45°

There isn't any disclaimer that this is only applicable if your Model X has the Premium Upgrades package. Probably just an oversight.

The New 7.1 Owner's Guide is out.

The section Opening and Closing Front Doors from Outside Model X states

There isn't any disclaimer that this is only applicable if your Model X has the Premium Upgrades package. Probably just an oversight.

This doesn't talk about the auto-present of the doors. If I were a betting man, I'd say that the auto present is the premium feature that tracks the location of the bluetooth fob and causes the doors to open without you having to click on the door "handle" or the fob and without that feature you have to click and then the door opens. The manual, from that perspective, is accurate for all.

So you think the front doors are powered even without the Premium Upgrades package? They'll open and close under their own power, just by pressing the handle or using the touchscreen? The only thigk the Premium Upgrades package adds (related to the front doors) is auto-present? I hope you're right, but I have my doubts. I wonder how long it'll be before an X without the Premium Upgrades is delivered, so we'll know for sure.

This doesn't talk about the auto-present of the doors. If I were a betting man, I'd say that the auto present is the premium feature that tracks the location of the bluetooth fob and causes the doors to open without you having to click on the door "handle" or the fob and without that feature you have to click and then the door opens. The manual, from that perspective, is accurate for all.

I've found that the auto-presenting doors work fine, except:

I've had to turn the feature off on my X. Each time I approach the car the door opens. It doesn't hit the garage wall, but I have to close it to get past and then open it again.

Today I was installing a seat back protector on the back of the front passenger seat. I had the fob in my pocket, and the driver's door kept opening, closing, opening, closing... It was the final straw for that feature (for me).

I totally agree Dave. While the auto-present is a cool feature under some circumstances, I turned it off because it was a royal PITA in my garage. It was constantly opening and closing every time I walked past the car and became a real nuisance.

On a somewhat related topic - a couple of other things to be careful of:

1. Make sure you check before you close the FWD's from the panel - I conked my friend in the head! It does not have sensors under the open door, but just a resistance sensor that stops the door after hits them in the head.
2. Make sure your wife is totally in the car before you step on the brake pedal so you don't hit her with the closing passenger front door, like I did.

Neither one resulted in injury but it is not the way to treat your friends and spouses. :crying:

I spent some time thinking about this and realized based on the door handles on the Model X, the doors will have to be motorized. To unlock the door from the outside, you have to push on the Model X door handle in order for it to open. If the car is parked on a slope it would be very difficult to open the door and prevent it from closing.

Try this on your Model S, unlatch the door from the inside and try to open it from the outside without touching the door handle. It is extremely difficult.

Maybe auto-present is just a software feature or the key fob will be standard (like the Model S) and will not feature bluetooth LE.

Since I volunteered at the Toronto Auto Show Tesla Booth, I had a fair bit of time to explore the Model X. One thing I noted with the self presenting front doors is that it appears they would strike a car parked beside it if you open the doors from the fob or the touch screen. I tried standing in the door's way, and it definitely did tap me on the leg as it tried to open. It seemed to stop based on contact with my leg and not proximity to it. It probably wouldn't hit an adjacent car hard, but I don't think it should even be touching the side of someone else's car. Wondering if any owners with more experience confirm or deny this?

The ultrasonic sensors don't detect human bodies (as individual bodies) very well. They DO detect solid surfaces like other car doors, walls, etc

Thanks for confirming that. The Falcon Wing doors did seem to sense me standing there, and would even show it on the 17" screen. The front doors didn't seem to. Good to know they will "see" a parked car next to it.

Since I volunteered at the Toronto Auto Show Tesla Booth, I had a fair bit of time to explore the Model X. One thing I noted with the self presenting front doors is that it appears they would strike a car parked beside it if you open the doors from the fob or the touch screen. I tried standing in the door's way, and it definitely did tap me on the leg as it tried to open. It seemed to stop based on contact with my leg and not proximity to it. It probably wouldn't hit an adjacent car hard, but I don't think it should even be touching the side of someone else's car. Wondering if any owners with more experience confirm or deny this?

I ws at a meet the X event last night. They had the car in showroom mode (Falcon Wing Doors Locked in the open position) the auto door opening would only crack the doors open, they explained that the sensor that is used to determine how far to auto open the front doors is located in the falcon wing door.

I ws at a meet the X event last night. They had the car in showroom mode (Falcon Wing Doors Locked in the open position) the auto door opening would only crack the doors open, they explained that the sensor that is used to determine how far to auto open the front doors is located in the falcon wing door.

Interesting. In my case, the car was not in "showroom mode" but I can't recall if I had the falcon wing door opened or not when I tried my driver's door "bump test". If the falcon wing door was open, that might mean its sensors would not be able to "see" a parked car next to it. The door definitely did not just crack open. It swung wide and bumped me (softly) in the leg before stopping.