Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second Los Angeles Supercharger location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I walked across the street from work today and saw this...
2014-10-31 12.55.33.jpg
2014-10-31 12.55.38.jpg

It is kind of blocked off like I've seen other supercharger sites. This one is in Culver City just off the 405 at the Fox Hills Mall. I'll keep an eye on it.

It looks like it could be for a Supercharger but I can't really believe they would put one so close to Hawthorne and off the 405 of all freeways. The 405 has the worst traffic in LA and that location doesn't help east-west traffic at all. Not to mention the location seems northwest of Hawthorne and the second dot looks to be northeast.

It looks like it could be for a Supercharger but I can't really believe they would put one so close to Hawthorne and off the 405 of all freeways. The 405 has the worst traffic in LA and that location doesn't help east-west traffic at all.

Isn't that the point? Look at SJC. Immediately off the 5 and became one of the busiest SC's in the world within days of launch. The 405 is basically that same stretch: "the San Diego Freeway". So, yes, you are correct in that it does not help east-west traffic at all. It would help North-South traffic though for anyone heading to/from the valley. Agreed, though, it is really close to Hawthorne, which is already being expanded. Doesn't make sense, but as I've said in other threads, the more SC's the better!

Anyway, this is really interesting speculation, but may be fruitless. All we have now is a bunch of fencing around some parking spots.

Great job keeping eyes open. I'll bet against this being a future supercharger location. With the massive expansion at Hawthorne it wouldn't make sense to put another supercharger location so close by.

I agree, I would be surprised if it was a super charger location, I'd be very happy if it was, as far as east west traffic goes, it is about 3 miles from I-10 and a bit more from PCH, so I could actually see this. Besides, I think Tesla's goal is to get as many locations that agree to host super chargers, This is a Westfield mall and there are a lot of Westfield's around, so that would be a very nice start.

The location at the mall is pretty good too, it's in the deadest area of the parking lot, those spaces are always empty, except the last few weeks before Christmas, then forget about it, you will not want to charge during evening and weekend mall hours, even if the stalls are blocked off, traffic is awful. Two years ago, I made the mistake to stop by and it took me 30 minutes to get out of that parking lot.

My suspicion is that finding places to put Superchargers in dense urban cities is not easy at all. So, ANY location will work, since looking forward just three years, we will have a massive increase in use due to gen III hitting the road.

So there's a new Supercharger map on teslamotors.com and I don't get it. It looks like the next dot coming to LA is at the "coming soon" level and it's appearing on the map between Hawthorne and SJC. I think they must have put Culver City in the wrong place?

Also, in "2015", it kinda looks like the one coming northeast of Hawthorne is even closer now.

I too was always frustrated by the big fuzzy red dots on the Teslamotors.com Supercharger website covering a faded out map.
So I went to the end of the time scale to get the most red dots possible, and snapped a screen shot.
I put the jpg in PowerPoint, and then placed small black dots in the middle of the fuzzy red ones (for California and it's boarders).
Then I drew some corner and edge markers on the edge of the state-line. THEN I cut the Tesla map, so now I just had small sharp dots and edge markers.
I googled an image of a nice detailed CA map, brought that into PowerPoint, and fit and stretched my dot grid onto it. Voila - now I can see!
Some minor adjustments for actual known locations - red, and construction sites - yellow, and planned sites are in blue - with a grain of salt, as of today.
Blueshift's map is way better of course for operational, under construction, and permitted sites. I just wanted better visibility of Tesla's "Planned" sites.

CA Superchargers 12-2014.jpg

Last edited:
I too was always frustrated by the big fuzzy red dots on the Teslamotors.com Supercharger website covering a faded out map.
So I went to the end of the time scale to get the most red dots possible, and snapped a screen shot.
I put the jpg in PowerPoint, and then placed small black dots in the middle of the fuzzy red ones (for California and it's boarders).
Then I drew some corner and edge markers on the edge of the state-line. THEN I cut the Tesla map, so now I just had small sharp dots and edge markers.
I googled an image of a nice detailed CA map, brought that into PowerPoint, and fit and stretched my dot grid onto it. Voila - now I can see!
Some minor adjustments for actual known locations - red, and construction sites - yellow, and planned sites are in blue - with a grain of salt, as of today.
Blueshift's map is way better of course for operational, under construction, and permitted sites. I just wanted better visibility of Tesla's "Planned" sites.

View attachment 66545

Well done, it's a great map.

Just a question. The blue dot south of San Diego, it doesn't appear to be on the updated 2015 map of North America, does it?

View attachment 66545

That's a great map - what Tesla map did you start with? The 2015 supercharger map I see doesn't seem to have the Dunnigan (I-5 at I-505 between Corning and Sacramento), Oceanside, and downtown San Diego sites that are on your map.

When making the CA Supercharger Map yesterday, I used the Tesla Website Map as of Yesterday, with the slide pushed all the way to the right to 2015.
On Tesla's Map, the fuzzy red dots are so big they obliterate what is underneath on the purposefully faded map.
Placing a very small black dot in the middle of the fuzzy red ones yields a sharper result, and then I massaged them a bit (grain of salt - not perfect - got them on a the closest freeway or intersection) and added color as I presented.
TRUE, my method is far from prefect, but it does provide much better clarity and much better guessing. Also, Tesla's "planned" dots sometimes shift, disappear, reappear, or construction sometimes is discovered where no dot ever was.
So I think my map is simply better guessing fodder than Tesla's blurry one. San Diego for example; the SC under construction is pretty far north and off the beaten path. The Blue "Planned" dot that I show is dead center of the Red dot Tesla had for San Diego. The site under construction was never on Tesla's map - or is VERY far from it. My "guess" is that Tesla will build a second San Diego SC "roughly" where the Blue Dot is.

I-5 & I-505; Dunnigan? Pilot Travel Center?: This dot had appeared and disappeared over time on Tesla's map. I have been making my map and updating it for myself for over a year now. I decided to leave it in place, as it had been there at one point, and I do visit Chico occasionally, so it is wishful thinking.

Last edited:
The tree Blue dots I show in southern CA; HB/Irvine/CM, Oceanside, & San Diego, are the exact centers of the two big fuzzy red dots that run into one another, and the big fuzzy dot for San Diego on the Tesla map. My small Blue dots are exactly where Tesla put their big fuzzy red ones. The issue is that San Juan Capistrano is way south of the originally planned location (near as I can tell), and the SC being built at Qualcomm is way north of San Diego. I chose to show the original plan, as Tesla has a history of starting construction unannounced at sites that never showed up on the map. (Not that I am complaining, no not at all.) So, these sites may still yield new Superchargers. For example, the HB/Irvine/CM Supercharger is really needed to take the load of SJC. Oceanside makes great strategic sense as well. I am guessing the Qualcomm site is being partially funded/managed by Qualcomm, as the extensive parking lot renovation and the conduit trench/fill is a fashion we have not seen, but lends itself well to prep or preemptive large scale construction. So, I think Tesla will still build a Supercharger in San Diego proper.

Not sure why there was never any more progress reporting on the construction site at Fox Hills Mall, but I just got an email confirming it was a supercharger site and it went live today with 12 stalls!

Find Us | Tesla Motors

The web site still shows plans for a charger in Downtown LA, though it is listed as being a single stall. I wonder if this will be at the ACE Hotel which already has 3 HPWCs for guest use only.

Downtown Los Angeles Supercharger | Tesla Motors