Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

seattle crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty disgusted with FUD from Fox... The local news station in Seattle keeps the story to the basic facts, while the national fox website diverges the story into FUD about FSD being on a free trial. I detest this sort of FUD because it's dishonest and misleads the public. It's bad enough that the original story mentions autopilot. In each case I can think of, the driver says AP was active and it's found that it was not active. Of course the sensationalist media loves to tell us how AP will kill everyone.

People aren’t interested in facts
This is the only bit that I disagree with. People are very interested in the facts, and they think they're getting them from their media sources. Unfortunately, the FUD has been getting progressively worse for decades, fanning the flames of basic predilections. And now we have all sorts of factions hating each other's guts. It's great stuff if you make money off reporting drama.

When the revolution comes, I hope the media guys are up against the wall ahead of the lawyers.

This is the only bit that I disagree with. People are very interested in the facts, and they think they're getting them from their media sources. Unfortunately, the FUD has been getting progressively worse for decades, fanning the flames of basic predilections. And now we have all sorts of factions hating each other's guts. It's great stuff if you make money off reporting drama.

When the revolution comes, I hope the media guys are up against the wall ahead of the lawyers.
I was naive when social media cranked up. I'd see someone ranting about something and offer alternative perspective supported by facts. What I found out quickly was people were not interested in facts their opinions did not support. People just love confirmation bias and will seek out echo chambers.

Here's an example.... there was a school shooting and a lady at work was on a rant about how a doctor should be able to take away people's guns. I disagreed and suggested it should involve judicial review. We went back and forth a few more minutes and I told her "you are a lesbian and what if the old as dirt doctor in your health network says lesbians are insane and takes you guns?" She immediately saw my point. WONDERFUL. 24 hours later I walk into the break room and she's telling someone else about that school shooting and that doctors should be able to take people's guns away.

People don't want to be pulled from their comfort zone unfortunately.

Reactions: JB47394
People don't want to be pulled from their comfort zone unfortunately.
I agree. But at the same time, how willing are you to listen to arguments about flat earth, creationism, spontaneous generation, Atlantis, and so on? None of us like to challenge our foundation understanding of the world. Finding a balance between the mental efficiency of having assumptions to work from and going through the effort (and anxiety) of challenging those assumptions can be ticklish. If there's too much of the former, we become a stick in the mud. If there's too much of the latter, we're subject to accepting any notion that we encounter.

I see both on social media all the time. It's even worse when somebody has an emotional investment in the topic at hand.

Reactions: ai4px and Dewg

If it bleeds, it leads! I really hate that as an operational model by the media.

Reactions: ai4px